GO!

Introducing to other pets

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 10:32am PST 
So, it's officially 4 days until I get my FIRST POM (well first dog!)!! big grinbig grinbig grin As it's getting closer, I was curious.. how should I introduce the new puppy to my 3 cats?shrug
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 3:32pm PST 
Introduce Zoe to the cats while she's on leash or otherwise restrained and allow the cats to come up and sniff her. Make some attempt of keeping them separated while they get used to each other. Make sure the cats have a puppy free zone. Put their food up in a higher place where Zoe can't get to it. Try to have a room that's a cat only zone so they have a safe haven when they want a little quiet time.

2 days!!! cheercheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 7:22am PST 
Thanks for the tips smile I'll let you know how it goes!! 1 day!!! big grin big grin big grin
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 9:15am PST 
Oh and make sure the litter is somewhere she can't get to it. Puppies love kitty crunchies. Can't wait to see some new pics.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 9:52am PST 
Luckily my house is set up so that it won't be hard to keep her out of the kitties area. The cats are extremely social & get along with each other so well, so I'm hoping they can adjust well to the puppy. I got her room all set up smile I'm so excited!! I have another question.. how are pom puppies with stairs?

if you guys wanna see some pictures & her set up so far.. I have a blog (i posted the link at the bottom) that you guys can check out! I'll be sure to post tons of pics tomorrow! big grin

http://realtalk8.blogspot.com/
[notify]

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 5:13pm PST 
You'll definitely be carrying her on the stairs for awhile. It didn't take super long for my poms to learn to go upstairs (I don't remember the exact timeline), but quite a bit longer for them to be brave enough to go down them.

I can't wait to see all of your pics! You're guaranteed to have me on your blog for at least 3 minutes at a time - I love that song cloud 9

Edited by author Thu May 26, '11 5:18pm PST

[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 7:08pm PST 
My house is a little unique. We renovated an old school that closed in the late 1800's. It's all one story but with different levels (one or two steps) so I think it'll be easy for the cats to escape from her for a little. red face

& I love that song too smile

I'm literally counting down the hours until my little Zoe gets to come home. The place we're getting her from said we could pick her up at 4.. tomorrow is going to be torture trying to keep busy until then lol

Any tips on what I should bring with me when I get her? big grin
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 9:55pm PST 
My pups were able to do 1 to 2 steps in a couple of weeks.
I just bought a blanket and a toy or something to chew on.
[notify]

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 7:48am PST 
You probably want to avoid food and drink for the drive since she'll likely be nervous and may get an upset tummy on the ride home. I know the instinct is to want to take everything with you, but you really don't need it. A blanket is a nice idea, some sort of crate or carrier if you're not lucky enough to be a passenger to cuddle her all the way home. I'm so excited for you!
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 9:34am PST 
Luckily my boyfriend & I are going together to pick her up & it's only a 20 minute drive. I was planning on bringing a few treats to get her to calm down.. but maybe that isn't such a good idea.

About 3 more hours!!! cheercheercheercheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2