GO!

Getting a Pom. HELP! :)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 11:42am PST 
About a week ago I went to a breeder & picked out my perfect furry little princess named Zoe. She'll be ready to be picked up at the end of this month. I've never owned a dog before so I'm a little nervous & could use some help & advice. When should I go shopping for everything I need for her? & with that being said.. WHAT do I need to get? I know the basics.. puppy pads, kennel, food, bowls, brushes, shampoo.. what else am I missing? I just want to be fully prepared to bring Zoe into the best home.. THANKS big grin
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Thu May 5, '11 7:15pm PST 
I just bought as I went honestly. Foxy's my 1st dog too! Congrats on your new baby smile
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Fri May 6, '11 5:09pm PST 
Thank you smile I get to pick her up on May 19th so I'm counting down the days!! I'll post pictures when I get her! big grin
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 12:42pm PST 
Congratulations on your new puppy.cheercheercheer
I kinda bought as I went along too. Make sure you have plenty of things for her to chew on. If you are going to be with her 24/7 I would train her to go outdoors and skip the puppy pads.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 2:00pm PST 
Ok! Thanks smile that's kind of why I'm getting her in the summer so I'll be with her all the time. I have another question too.. I'm going to kennel train her & my plan was to get one big enough to have her bed & puppy pads in it. Is that a bad idea?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 7:03pm PST 
I've never crated my dogs but my understanding is you only want it big enough for her to stand up and turn around in. It's supposed to be a place where she wants to go to feel safe not to relieve herself.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 7:43pm PST 
I'm just nervous that she might go in her crate at night & then become used to it. That's why I was planning on putting puppy pads in. I don't know what I'm going to do now :/

I've heard they're harder to house train than other breeds. Did you find that to be true?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 9:59am PST 
No I didn't but when they gotta go they gotta go you can't make them wait. Even Todd who I just adopted Dec 26 and came from a hoarder and was kept outside very quickly knew what he was supposed to do.
Your puppy will make mistakes in her crate but she won't like it where she sleeps. she will quickly learn to try to hold it. You should maybe feed and treat her in there too. she definitely won't want to relieve herself where she eats.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 11:05am PST 
Ok that's a really good idea! Thank you! Do you think I should try to train her on puppy pads too? Right now I live with my parents & we have a huge yard & everything.. but at the end of the summer I'm transferring colleges & moving into an apartment & I already know that my apartment is on the 3rd floor. Just in case we can't get down the stairs fast enough each time she needs to go do you think I should try puppy pads? & if so.. should I start that when I get her or when I move?
[notify]
Bowie

I'm not weird,- I'm unique :)

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:32pm PST 
Congrats on your new fur baby!
Bowie is still a puppy but he was actually really easy to potty train! I was pleasantly surprised, it only took maybe 2 weeks for him to get the hang of it. He still of course had accidents in the house occasionally, but it was usually my fault for forgetting to take him out.

My last dog was a Chihuahua and because I live in apartments too we decided it was easier to have her go on potty pads, and I personally found it to be a big mistake! Not only was it kind of yucky in a little apartment, she never learned after that to not keep going potty in that spot when we tried to teach her to go outside. With Bowie we taught him from the start to go outside and while it's more work to take him out, it's so much nicer to not always be cleaning up pee and poo inside your house!

I found that training them to go outside was also 10x quicker for the puppy to learn than going inside because it's more black and white, there's no gray area. I think they can get confused when you let them potty inside because it's harder for them to learn that it's only okay to potty in one spot inside.

Oh and we crated Bowie at nights as a puppy and he never once messed his crate and slept through the night every night. He was 4 months old at that point but they will get used to holding it. A younger pup will need to be taken out every few hours.

Good luck whatever you decide!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3