GO!

small scabs / bald spots

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Yumi

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 4:47pm PST 
In the past year or so, my 6 y.o. female Pom has had two small scabs that have fallen off and left bald spots. The first one I found maybe a year ago, I'm not really sure because for the longest time I thought it was just a dry patch. It was on the back of her head and that's the only reason I noticed because I scratch her there alot! I'm not sure if the bald spot is still there because it was only 1/8 of an inch wide and really easy to miss. The 2nd scab was bigger, about 1/4", and the resultant bald spot is about 1/2" diameter. I just noticed the scab a few weeks ago, it has since fallen off, and the area is still bald.

I know the scabs aren't from scratching because she can't reach these areas, and I really doubt they are from injury. Aside from the scabbing, the skin in the affected area looks healthy, pinkish white with some flaking, but she's always had dandruff. She used to scratch herself all the time, but she has been very little this whole winter. We are city apartment dwellers so we come into frequent contact with lots of dogs. We very occasionally go to the woods, but she gets Frontline before the warm weather kicks in. She's up to date (always) on her shots.

That's all the relevant information I can think of. Oh, she also gets bathed/groomed professionally every 2-3 months and I bath her monthly the other months. Another thing is we moved to New York City about a year ago, but I can't remember if I found the head scab before or after we moved. It's possible she's had little scabs before that went unnoticed because they're small and she's so fluffy. I've been looking more carefully since and haven't found any others.

I've been searching the internet, but still have no clue what this could be. I don't mind if my little girl has bald spots but worry that they're a symptom of something more serious. I plan to take her to the vet, but if it's not urgent, I am going to wait a few months until I visit my hometown where our regular vet is as he is family and we trust him very much. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The internet shows a laundry list of what can cause bald spots in dogs, but nothing beyond that. Any advice on what to do with the bald spots would also be appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 7:35am PST 
What does she eat? Dandruff can be caused by a food allergy/intolerance. Many dogs can't handle corn, wheat, or soy.

Is the bald spot near the area where you apply topical flea/tick meds? Perhaps she's being irritated by the chemicals?
[notify]
Yumi

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 10:38am PST 
Thanks so much for your response! She eats Nature's Best, which does have whole wheat and soy. I've been tried to switch her food since I don't think NB's the highest quality (it's not the worst, but not the best), but nothing's really worked out. I guess this is one more reason for me to keep looking for new food and I'll have to check the ingredients of her treats, too.

I don't think it's the Frontline because the bald spots are nowhere near where it gets applied.

Another thing is I decided to give her a thorough once-over yesterday and found many more bald spots! All very small & easy to miss on a very furry Pom, but very similar to the two I've already described. Now I'm really worried.

frown
[notify]