GO!

Is my dog a Pom?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 5:47am PST 
Her previous owner says she is but she doesnt have a lot of fur. Ive had her for 3 weeks and I have noticed its starting to grow a lil bit more but it might be all in my head. If she is a Pom, im guessing she's a backyard breed? If mixed, what might she be mixed with? Sorry forgive me in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this.
Also, what can i do differently to get her fur to grow in more?
Here's the pic her previous owner sent to me before i picked her up:
http://i56.tinypic.com/23hlpir.jpg

But this is what she looked like on the day i got her:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cihc0g.jpg

Here she is a few days ago:
http://i53.tinypic.com/ouv4ty.jpg
I changed her diet from Pedigree(previous owner) to Chicken soup and have given her baths using oatmeal shampoo. i would also add a capsule of fish oil to her meal and her fur is now shinier. Her vet seems to think she's nearly a year old so im not sure if she's in some shedding cycle. frown
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 6:07am PST 
She does look like a pom to me. Poms go through a big shed at around 4-5 months of age, known as the puppy uglies. It's a very fitting name for many of them as they're naked on some parts of their body and have really patchy hair elsewhere. It takes quite awhile to recover from this and start looking like a pom again. She won't have her full coat until she's over 2 years old. She will look more like you're expecting her to look eventually.

Good job on upgrading her food. I'm sure this will help her coat growth having better nutrition.
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 1:31pm PST 
Thank you! i was just confused because no one really knows how old she is.
[notify]

Lilly

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 11:55am PST 
Did she have puppies before you got her? Poms shed their coat when they have puppies. it takes a while to come back fully.
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 1:31pm PST 
I don't think so.....I'm so annoyed that her previous owner didnt know how old she was or even IF she had shots. WTF
[notify]
Wittle Girl

I am the cutiest- girl

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 10:13am PST 
She looks pom to me. I think she's going through puppy uglies. Poms don't usually get their full coat until they are 3. I had my doubts that my pom would never have a fluffy pretty coat when she was younger because she looked like that too. Now she is fluffy and beautiful at 3 years old.
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 9:49pm PST 
Aww I cant wait for her to her fluffy if she is a Pom then. cheer
[notify]