Postings by Kato

GO!

(Page 1 of 104: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Helping the Insecure Dog
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 6:25am PST 
My dog, Kato, can be a bit shy at first greeting other dogs. What I have found that works well for him is that instead of having the other dog focus entirely on him, I'll get down on my haunches, extend my hand and try to get the other dog to interact with me instead. I'm happy to interact with this dog to give off the "everything's okay" vibe. This usually lets my pup get an inquisitive sniff in and help calm down a bit. The other thing that I've noticed that helps is space. Sometimes, at the dog park, the dogs will greet the other dog right at the gate, and it's just everyone in close quarters. So I make sure to get everyone out and walking around in open space to help alleviate that close quarter feeling. I find my pup does much better when he has space to work with. He has the option to move out of the way and not have to go to telling the other dogs off right away.

Your dog does sound very insecure, and I think taking a bit of the load off of him when interacting with other dogs will help. You putting the other dogs' focus on you should help. You're dog will realize that they don't have to deal with it alone. You've got their back. I'm all for dogs trying to work it out and figure each other out, but sometimes, you've just got to step in.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 5:21 am

Behavior & Training > What didn't you have to work on with your pup?
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 2:23pm PST 
Kato was a great puppy except for one thing. At times, he'd enter like this Lucifer level of crazy where he'd run full speed at you, jump and bite down HARD on whatever he could get. That was really the only issue, which was solved by putting the little shark into his crate so he could chill.

Why he did that doesn't make sense to me because his personality is so different from that. He's laid back. As a pup, he had no problem laying around. Didn't chew on anything. I could leave my shoes or socks out, and they were never touched. Always went to the bathroom in the grass. Never whined or barked. He just enjoyed watching more than doing. Still does. I'll let him out and check on him every so often to see him sitting in the same spot just watching the world around him. I'm talking hours of this.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 13 8:41 am

Dog Health > Broken and Exposed Quick

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 8:26am PST 
Hey all,

Kato just annihilated his nail the other day. Almost thought he broke his toe is was so gnarly. He ended up just breaking pretty much all of the nail off. It was just hanging there, so I cut it off. Now he has a stump of broken and exposed quick. Not sure what to do about it. Is it okay to just let it mend on its own? There's absolutely no nail around the quick. I can upload a pic if needed.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Nov 1 2:01 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The same litter?

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 11:47am PST 
I DO call them DACHSHUNDS, not that that goes noticed by them, lol

Naw, when they leave the place, they just say to each other "Did you hear how weird she said dashhounds?"laugh out loud

Still like how Kato is apparently a German Shepherd. No, not a mix, a full blooded GSD. Wha?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kato, Oct 16 11:47 am

Sports & Agility > Biking and Hiking

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 6:14am PST 
I use a hydration pack when I bike with Kato. I wear it on my back while I bike and Kato runs. I bring a little collapsible bowl with me and share the water with him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Jul 26 1:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Something is ALWAYS wrong - Now Frisbees?
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:32am PST 
Kato's pretty sensitive, and has on a few occasions caught something awkwardly and yelped and just quit. Maybe it hurt his tooth, maybe he opened his jaw awkward enough to cause pain, maybe he landed funny, etc.shrug

Heck, I've had a few times where my jaw cracked while just eating, and it hurt like heck! So, who knows what happened, but dogs can associate pain to just about anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rigby , Jun 20 7:37 am

Behavior & Training > Do shock collars hurt?

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:06am PST 
Erm, skin depth doesn't much matter...it's the nerves that detect pain. The dogs sure aren't howling in pain when I give them a good rub down.

Dogs are tough SOBs. Watching them play with each other is amazing. How they don't hurt each other is really interesting. The only time a yelp is let out is usually a leg getting caught in an awkward position.

Watching my dog run through the thickest of woods and come out covered in scratches but happy as a clam shows that pain sense isn't as simple as thin skin = low pain tolerance.

Corrections don't have to be pain. They have to be unpleasant. An aversion. I'm not saying shock collars don't hurt. But you don't have to have them set on a high setting to pain your dog in order for it to work.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, Jun 19 11:25 am

Behavior & Training > Off-Leash Training Tips

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 6:25am PST 
I find that having your dog keep tabs on you is more important than recall and heel. I actually don't even bother with heel. If I want them by my side for a bit, I'll just leash 'em up. But that's just a preference.

Reward the dog for checking in with you. Walk around with the dog on the long line (or off leash if in a safe area) and every time they come to you on their own or look at you, reward them with something amazingly awesome. Real cheese or meat. Or if your dog is nuts over toys, use a favorite toy.

When your dog looks out for you and you look out for your dog, off leash walking is a whole lot more peaceful. You both gain trust in each other.

If you use the long line, I'd suggest only using it for safety. So, don't tug on it to get the dog to come or to get their attention. You want the dog to get used to not having the leash, so those tugs are only going to inhibit it. The dog will get used to the cue of you tugging, which you don't want. You want the dog to keep themselves in check, not rely 100% on you for when it's time to move on.

And most important of all, don't constantly recall them when out and about. Off leash training should be 90% fun/walking/exploring and 10% "training." Walking and exploring is still learning, but for actual recalls and rewards, you don't want to annoy the dog to the point where they start blowing you off. Your rewards should be an additive to the fun of exploring, not a hindrance. And remember that rewards aren't all food and toys. The ability to continue to explore is a huge reward for most dogs. So, when you do recall your dog, give them a load of treats and then release them to explore some more. That's a double reward for them and helps instill the notion that coming when called doesn't necessarily mean an end to the fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 31 12:28 pm

Behavior & Training > Grumpy Gus Periods

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 6:50am PST 
Anybody else's dog just have bouts of prolonged grumpiness?

For the past 2 weeks, Kato has just been an all out grumpy gus to other dogs. Nothing's changed. It's like he just finds all the other dogs intolerable/annoying. The second they come up to greet him, no matter how, he'll immediately start growling and baring teeth. But, it's not really...erm, serious. I mean he's grumpy, but it's not really a huge warning. I can see through it, and most dogs see through it and don't see it as a true warning either and still hang around him. And nothing really happens.

He finally got a little playful with a happy-go-lucky golden last night, so maybe he's snapping out of it, but good god, the drama is getting ridiculous.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Koby, May 14 5:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Cesar Without the Drama....Like for REAL, lol!
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:42am PST 
Loved it.

I agree with Missy. When they first showed the dog's reaction in the beginning, I though, "Well, that dog isn't bad at all." It surprised me that they said their dog had attacked their other dog as what was seen in the video, to me, was just a frustrated dog.

Eh, I've encountered so many dogs that put up this front, that I rarely see any truly, what I'd consider, dog aggressive dogs.

There were a few moments in the video where the dog seemed to have tensed up, and I cringed a bit anticipating a bit of a reaction, but the dog held itself in check, which was great.

But in all, I loved it. I use Kato all the time to gauge other dogs. He's great at it. And it is a true asset to have a dog like that. I love it.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, May 1 5:23 am

(Page 1 of 104: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.