Postings by Gidget

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Taking your SDiT on cave tours,to go or not to go
Gidget

Wherever mom is,- there I will be- also.

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 7:33pm PST 
I once toured a cave with a seasoned sd. It was very stressful for her. I would not bring an sdit on a cave tour. So much could go so wrong and you could really damage tthe dog. Its dangerous for people and the last thing you need to do is jeopardize your training.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jun 1 7:56 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > WHat are Texas' laws about apartments and service animals?xas and service dogs
Gidget

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:22pm PST 
I just want you to be aware that although there are laws protecting you, that doesn't mean your landlord can't break the law. People break laws all the time. You may find yourself in a horrible battle, which I can't imagine would be good for you. Or you might find yourself winning in this situation. I hope you do.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, May 11 6:51 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Access Denied at the County Jail

Gidget

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 4:22am PST 
I'm so sorry you had to experience such stress. As you move through this process, remember that the ADA doesn't say that people with disabilities must be accommodated with service dogs. It says there must be reasonable accommodations. The jail will have a strong case in saying that allowing a service dog into the jail for visiting is unreasonable. Perhaps you will win, but perhaps not. Most importantly, I hope you don't suffer lasting ill effects from this kind of shake up.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Chief Majestix the Impeccable , Jul 8 7:14 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Which law applies to county jails?

Gidget

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:45pm PST 
Are you sure you want to subject yourself to that kind of pressure? Is your dog able to handle that kind of pressure? I, personally, would want to situate things over the phone first. But to each his own.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 13 10:56 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > The United States Service Dog Registry

Gidget

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 5:24pm PST 
You are incorrect in your assertion that a service dog is a service dog when their owner says it is a service dog. Service dogs are defined by the DOJ. "A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability." That is probably what you meant, but I wanted to be clear that a person can't just decide their dog is a service dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 14 5:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)
Gidget

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:59pm PST 
How will you train your dog yourself if being in public is a problem? You will have to go into public to train.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 11:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Federal ADA law broken??

Gidget

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 5:22pm PST 
The Department of Justice enforces the ADA, so maybe call them? You could explain to them and they will inform you of your next steps.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 12 10:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dr. Note

Gidget

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:55am PST 
Different colleges require different items as they work to accommodate disabilities. You might need to provide more information to your college. Also, employers may require more paper work if you request an accommodation from them. Public access is different - no paperwork required.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 13 9:23 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to tell your parents you have a mental illness and a service dog for it?

Gidget

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 6:55am PST 
As a parent, I think I have a different perspective than you do, OP. It sounds like you are attending college and not living at home, which affords you some independence. Since you are being given this independence, you certainly are in a situation where you can make some independent decisions. Once you are not relying on someone else to pay some of your expenses, then you have the right to make all your own decisions. If I was your parent, and I found out that you had a dog for a year and that you were keeping that information from me purposefully because you thought I would not want you to have a dog, I'd be more angry once I found out than if you told me up front.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nova, Jun 9 11:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to tell your parents you have a mental illness and a service dog for it?
Gidget

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 4:12pm PST 
Having a service dog for an invisible disability can cause all sorts of people to question you and create situations that can be controversial. If you have a difficult time talking to family about this issue, you might need to also figure out how talk to joe public. Also, am I reading your posts correctly when I hear you saying your parents are paying all your living expenses? If they are, perhaps having an SD should also be all or at least partly their decision.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nova, Jun 9 11:15 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.