Postings by Ava, NTD

GO!

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Ticks. natural remedies?
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:41pm PST 
I use rose geranium essential oil. A drop or two on Ava's collar every week and we have absolutely no ticks way to go It definitely works because, before I dug out the oils this spring, she could pick up 4-5 ticks from a quick walk. Now I don't find any on her.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ava, NTD, May 10 7:41 pm

Dog Health > Titer Result Questions
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 10:29am PST 
Where did you get the titers done at? I think Hemopet will actually give you the numbers, plus a recommendation of whether or not to revaccinate, but I haven't had titers done with them yet.

As far as his results go, I probably wouldn't revaccinate him. Was he around any other dogs before the titers were done, especially dogs that had been recently vaccinated? If he wasn't around anything to stimulate his body to produce the antibodies, he might actually have a higher titer level than you think. He won't always have a bunch of antibodies in his system because he doesn't need to. What's important is that his body can produce the antibodies if it needs to, so unless there was something to stimulate him into flooding his system with the antibodies, you could see a low result on the titer. Does that make sense? Its kinda jumbled and rambling when I try to explain it lol
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ava, NTD, May 3 10:29 am

Food & Nutrition > Not eating as consistantly

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 9:44am PST 
Welcome to having a husky!! They get awesome food mileage way to go

This sounds pretty normal to me and I wouldn't be too concerned. Puppies in general are pretty good about self-regulating their food intake - they won't eat more than they need. I know some breeds are the exception to this, but usually huskies only eat what they need. He might be going through a slow growth period and not needing as much food.

Also, its getting warmer and that really messes with Ava's appetite. If its too hot out, she won't eat for a day or so, and if its just moderately warm, she'll usually skip a meal or just pick at her food.

On top of all that, huskies really don't eat much. You can leave food down for him so he can eat when he needs to, or he can just "tell" you when he's hungry. My girl rarely ate more than once a day when she was a puppy, but if I really really got her exhausted, she would eat all that I'd give her. Now I've totally given up on morning feedings and its perfectly normal for her to skip dinner too, especially if she's been lazy most of the day.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rambo, May 9 1:34 pm

Food & Nutrition > Found a great deal on buffalo bully sticks!

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 1:09pm PST 
Thanks so much for posting this!! I've been too broke lately to keep bullysticks in stock and this helped a lot. Ava's gonna be a happy pup in a few days way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ava, NTD, Apr 7 1:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Bestbullysticks alternative?

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 9:15pm PST 
I'm glad to see this post too, because I've been thinking the same thing. BBS still has decent prices for bullysticks (especially compared to my local places), but I feel like their quality has gone way down. I can buy the same bullysticks I've been buying for years, but my last order was pathetic! The bullies were only about half as thick as the ones from my previous order had been. Granted, I don't buy the super-thick ones or anything, but still, there was a big difference. And it wasn't just a few of the sticks - all of them were that way. I'm glad that I'm not the only one disappointed.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Mar 31 2:42 pm

Dog Health > What supplements do you add to your dogs food?
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:55pm PST 
Ava gets Solid Gold SeaMeal and sometimes brewers yeast with garlic or fish oil. I might add some glucosamine later on, depending on how active she is after we move.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Jul 24 9:38 am

Dog Health > Homeopathic Parvo Remedies

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 10:06am PST 
I wouldn't bother with most remedies for parvo. The only one that I've ever heard of working is Parvaid - but it still needs to be used while the puppy is hospitalized. Like Samson said, parvo is extremely dangerous. The money that you're giving to your vet for treatment is for isolation in the hospital where they get round the clock care, regular bloodwork, really strong medications for vomiting and diarrhea, usually a very mild food (parvo is one of the only cases where I would say that purina's prescription diets can be helpful), and much more. Its expensive, but seeing the kind of care that parvo puppies require, it's definitely worth it.

The vet I work at offers a parvo "home care" kit because we see so many parvo cases and sometimes the owner either can't or won't hospitalize the pup. Usually they don't make it with the home care kit, but we do have a pretty high survival rate dogs that been kept in the hospital.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jul 20 9:53 pm

Dog Health > overdose on heartguard 4x amt

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 6:47pm PST 
Ava (40lbs) once at 14 doses of the 0-25lb heartgard in one sitting (and a chocolate easter bunny....and some chocolate-flavored candy corn...) and was perfectly fine. I ran her to the vet and did some general bloodwork to make sure, but she was completely fine.

Call the e-vets and check, and watch your pup for any odd behavior/symptoms. Otherwise I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Ava scared me to death when she got into her Heartgard, but she was okay. I just had to keep from strangling her lol
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Olive, Jun 27 4:35 am

Behavior & Training > Looking for dog training/psychology literature

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 6:46pm PST 
eek

You all went above and beyond what I was expecting!!
Looks like my next paycheck is going to books. Thanks a lot way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jun 23 8:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Looking for dog training/psychology literature
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 8:06pm PST 
Hey everyone big grin From reading all the threads here, most of you definitely have a better grasp on canine psychology and different approaches to dog training than I do, so I was wondering how you researched it. I'd love to learn more so that I can learn how to work better with Ava and be a better trainer. What books, websites, etc did you all use to learn?
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jun 23 8:13 pm

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.