GO!

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Everyone is fading from this board...
Black

DeMamma and my- boy and me makes- a team

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:08pm PST 
This is the first time back in months. I don't come on a lot because I find there is to much contention. Certain members get banned for being honest and too many hateful comments. I was getting stomach aches when I came on. I hooked up with a few on Facebook and found other forums that are kind and supportive while being honest.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 12:07 pm

Standard Poodle > Standard Poodle grooming .. new adoption
Black

Barked: Tue May 1, '12 10:45am PST 
congratulations on getting a Standard Poodle. I groom Black at home on my own. I might not be the best for answers but a lot of people do not come to this forum. You could try posting in grooming forum for more answers. I am not great at grooming every day it is time consuming. I usually keep Black trimmed short. I have never had bad knots I could not deal with. The best thing I can say is get a good spray on conditioner it will make all the difference. I groom Black usually on the face and paws and part of tail with a #10 blade. I also use a #10 blade for a sanitary clip also. His body I use a #7 blade but would prefer a #5. This makes a nice sporty clip that is manageable. I usually use a slicker brush and metal comb to keep Black looking nice and tangle free. If his hair gets too long the slicker brush though just goes over the top and knots form underneath I learned this from experience so also use a comb to make sure you get any mats that start forming. Black is prone to ear infections. I keep his ears plucked. I have some curved hemostats that I use to get a good grip on the hair deeper in the canal. I just use my fingers for the easy to get stuff. I also use a little flashlight to make sure I pull only hair and do not hurt him. Also do not grab too much hair at once as it will hurt a lot. He recently got a deep clean from the vet and I found I am not using enough cleaner in his ears enough of the time. I have been told by his vet to be using a ear cleaner 2 times a week but he has severe infections. If he did not I would probably do it maybe once a week. Poodle's are a lot of fun and worth the effert to keep them groomed. I hope you enjoy your new dog when he comes.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 21 3:32 pm

Behavior & Training > 'Fleaing' other dog?

Black

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 3:36pm PST 
Black does this as a form of affection. I know it is not anxiety as a lot of the time is when we are relaxing and he is content.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 9:06 am

Behavior & Training > Your stance on Mouthing (Hands).

Black

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 4:02pm PST 
All my dogs are mouthers. Black when I first got him would do a grooming nibble that pinched and hurt. I would give him a blanket, stuffy or pillow to do it on. He now when he gets affectionate will nibble on a cloth or something next to you. I do not have a problem with him biting except if a teen girl is teasing him then he will nip the butt. I have teen girls and training them is harder than training dogs. My cockapoo Daisy will mouth in play but releases right away and is very soft. Every dog I have owned has mouthed and I have not been bit by them. I can see that some dogs or homes that might be a problem but it has not been in my home. A few people were startled when Black came up and started nibbling the couch next to them but then I explained. I play a catch game with my dogs that we chase and tap the dogs and they try to catch us. if caught they will mouth let go and run for us to chase them. They settle down when I say and if they get to rambunctious I do some obedience and they calm down. No one outside of family is allowed to chase play with my dogs and my kids no how to stop it. Well except for a silly teen girl that is when he nips her butt and she calms down which he follows suit. Each dog is different and each home so what is ok in one home is not in another. My dogs Black and Daisy are dogs who see me as a clear head of home. Charlie is another matter and I do not ruff play with him much.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 1 7:17 am

Behavior & Training > Dog bit my daughter

Black

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 3:18pm PST 
Thank you for the update
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 10 11:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dog shoes recommendations, please
Black

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:49am PST 
Black has ruff wear and they fit well. I like them and they do have a special program so SD can get 1/2 off.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 8:56 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dog bite on Service dog

Black

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 7:40am PST 
thank you for the update
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 8 8:31 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Will it be impossible for me to try to train this puppy as a service dog for my Son's autism

Black

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 11:18am PST 
Bella the responses on this thread bothered me also. My son is not much of a runner. He will run to a hiding place then stay put. It is not always easy to find him. Until someone lives in our shoes they will not understand. Even then each child on spectrum is different. I hope the original poster is doing well with her pup.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 6 8:00 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Will it be impossible for me to try to train this puppy as a service dog for my Son's autism

Black

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 12:03am PST 
Daisy I am glad that you have had success in teaching gymnastics to children on the Autism spectrum. But you are wrong not all can be taught to not run away. You have the children what 30 min. to hour. It is different when you have the child for hours on end and day in and day out. The children in the home environment will have more chances to go through meltdowns highs and lows. Many children on spectrum can be taught not to run away but not all. I am glad that your experience has been different though. A few hours teaching a Autistic child does not make it where you know all about the spectrum.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 6 8:00 am

Behavior & Training > long, sad, howl while sleeping?
Black

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 9:08am PST 
Black sleep whines I feel so bad for him when he does like he is being hurt. I usually pet and touch him till he calms he is in a deep sleep when this happens and does not wake easy.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 9 3:53 am

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.