Postings by Mulder

GO!

(Page 1 of 432: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Allergy to yeast, wheat, potato, beef, rabbit & rice
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '14 8:31am PST 
This post is ancient and there was no reason to resurrect it, but since you like posting these fallacies on every post you find, Jasper,

High protein does NOT cause kidney issues in dogs. This has been disproven for YEARS and is only maintained by superstitious or negligent vets who want to plug their garbage prescription diets.
Effects of aging and dietary protein intake on uninephrectomized geriatric dogs.

In dogs, food allergies are caused by PROTEINS. ANY protein can be a potential allergen. Potato is no worse than any plant-derived protein in terms of how allergenic it is, certainly no worse than corn or soy, which is HEAVILY used in Science Diet foods.

Dogs NEED dietary fat as that is their primary source of energy. Dogs do NOT utilize carbs in the same way that people do, and studies have shown that excess of carbs, even in HIGHLY ACTIVE DOGS is actually detrimental to their performance. Once again, dogs need dietary fat, robbing them of that is not healthier for them than fat restriction/low fat diets.

The Nutritional Requirements of Exercising Dogs

Plenty of people feed raw diets to their dogs, and while I have no study to cite for this, decades worth of dogs raised on it show no WORSE affects than decades worth of dogs raised on dry diets comprised largely of cereal grains. There's no proof of anything either way, save for a limitless amount of anecdotal evidence expressing the numerous benefits of raw.

Dogs get sick and die on kibble every day. Dogs contract salmonella from kibble all the time. Dogs choke one kibble and die every day. Dogs get sick from eating kibble contaminated with all sorts of garbage like melemine and aflatoxines.

The people who push this weird agenda of "ALL KIBBLE GOOD, ALL EVERYTHING ELSE BAD" are the people who have EVERYTHING to gain from that statement.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Tue 8:31 am

Food & Nutrition > Canned Foods and GOLPP/Megaesophagus feeding
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '14 9:13pm PST 
Jasper, please produce ONE study, one SINGLE study that definitively links high protein in the diet as the cause of kidney issues in dogs.

Because all modern research done on the topic absolutely refutes the correlation.

Only crummy vets who refuse to stay current on modern research and would rather continue to spread their outright lies to sell garbage diets like Science Diet still tout this sort of bunk.

Effects of aging and dietary protein intake on uninephrectomized geriatric dogs.

More Study Results from the Nutrition Symposium (PetMD)
Dogs with kidney problems (Dr. Lucy L. Pinkston, D.V.M.)
The Mythology of Protein Restriction for Dogs with Reduced Renal Function (Kenneth C. Bovee, DVM, MMedSc)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mon 9:13 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food for overweight puggle with allergies

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '14 9:10pm PST 
wrong thread
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mon 9:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > 7 week old puppy, wanting to switch to raw

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '14 5:53pm PST 
7 weeks is really too young to be taking a puppy away from its littermates. I'm going to go on the assumption that you've already committed to this dog and aren't interested in a sudden change of heart, but for future thought, some of the most key socialization periods (namely the fear impact period and some social learning stages) should be experienced with their littermates and mother. Most good breeders release puppies after 8 weeks, ideal ones will wait until after 11 weeks.

I weaned my current litter of foster puppies on canned and raw. I used a pre-made grind by Primal, inclusive of bone and some organ. By 5 weeks they are eating chicken drumsticks off the bone, not quite ready to eat the bone itself. 7 weeks old they should be able to handle bone, but keep it moderate. Too much bone leads to an excess of calcium/phosphorous, which you don't want. Can also constipate them, something else you don't want. If you're going to do it, just switch, there's no point "transitioning" to raw form a garbage kibble like purina.

Videos of my (5-ish week) puppies eating raw chicken drumstick
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Sat 5:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > Coconut oil?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 2, '14 5:19pm PST 
Ignore Jasper.

Dogs NEED fat in their diet. Its essential. Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride, and has actually been used to help encourage weight LOSS and is a stimulant for the body's metabolism.

Quality of oil matters, though. You want virgin, unrefined, ideally organic. Don't use typical LouAna-style cooking oils... those aren't any good for supplementation.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by KayCee, Nov 7 9:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > Benefits of Goat milk?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 2, '14 5:11pm PST 
RAW goat's milk- can be useful for a lot of things.

For one, its easy in the stomach (again, only when raw), which is certainly helpful for a sick dog who might not be feeling up to eating solids each day. Its also full of many trace vitamins and minerals, so still providing good things if the dog doesn't want to eat but will take the milk. Its also potent probiotics (think yogurt, minus the heat pasteurization which kills most of the "good" enzymes).

I love raw milk, use it all the time with mine. Loaded my pregnant foster up on it throughout her pregnancy, and am still giving it to her nursing. I will eventually wean the puppies with it. Great stuff.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Nov 2 5:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Does anyone have any info on these breeders?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '14 2:32pm PST 
Knowing nothing at all about Vonhena-C's reputation or quality as a breeder, let me just say that I still think they are absolutely not what you are looking for.

It looks like they are pretty exclusively breeding DDR/Czech pedigreed dogs. These are hard, serious working lines. Of course there are always exceptions, but if what you're wanting is a nice non-working family companion, these aren't the dogs to be looking at. High drive, not overly social, probably would do better in sport or very active homes.

Royalair would be way more your speed in terms of activity level, more social, gentler dogs. Still big and intimidating, but much more "family pet" than any sort of serious working dog. If you're into Kings, you would do much better with a Royalair, much closer to that speed in terms of temperament.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Oct 29 3:35 am

Behavior & Training > Teaching Polite Greeting Skills

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '14 10:50am PST 
Second option is of course preferable. The less chance your dog has to rehearse bad behaviors, the less ingrained they will become and the easier they will be to treat. Life, however, is not always so controllable.

I would take things a step further, use a negative punisher. If someone goes to pet him and he jumps, remove him from the situation immediately and try again. IE, someone goes to pet, he jumps, OOPS step the dog back 3-4 feet and have him sit. Then walk politely back to the person, have him sit and wait, try again. Rinse repeat.

Same idea as when they pull on the leash, OOPs walk the other directions for a few feet, then turn around and go forward again... only you're removing contact from the other person rather than forward movement.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Nov 6 2:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Need Advice on Puppy!!

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '14 8:18am PST 
Fritz, you can have one of mine!!
Just pulled a pregnant GSD from the shelter here, and she delivered 4 puppers!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ivan, Oct 22 4:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Ecollar training videos recommendations?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '14 7:06am PST 
If you are going to use the e-collar, look up Lou Castle.

Specifically, look up his protocol for "crittering". You will need a willing participant to act as a decoy to do this correctly.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Noah, Nov 13 1:57 pm

(Page 1 of 432: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.