Postings by Dakota 2000-2009

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > Australian Cattle Dog questions.
Dakota- 2000-2009

In the arms of- the angel

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 11:48am PST 
First off, I've read they are velcro. I've noticed there are several types of velcro dogs, and I don't like one of those types.
-My ACD's have picked ONE person they adore..everyone else they could take or leave..but their person, they follow EVERYWHERE. My dakota had to lay on my feet if I was sitting down, he was constantly right with me..not because he was timid or fearful..because that is just the way they are. They were bred to drive cattle with their human counterparts across the barren lands of australia..IMO, these types of breeds that work so closely with people form fierce bonds.

Do they only have to be with you (as in same room) or is it touching you?
-see my post above.

How are they with other dogs?
-some can be DA..but it depends. mine have picked and chosen who they care to be around..both people and dogs.

I understand that they are very high energy, but is it insanehypergogogo! they are high energy and intelligent..but IMO, they arent the most energeic dogs I;ve owned. They will hold a grudge though.

I have also read that they can be defensive. Will they bite someone who walks into my house if I'm not there to tell them not to?

they are very protective of their family..but in the end, it comes down to training and socialization.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by holly, Jun 2 9:17 am

Behavior & Training > blue heeler nipping
Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Fri Apr 15, '11 7:34am PST 
no..you have to train "lay down" AWAY from the distraction..and then train it WITH the distraction..if that makes sense.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 15 5:48 pm

Behavior & Training > blue heeler nipping

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 1:11pm PST 
Does he know how to lay down???
Does he know "leave it"? or "out"???

Dogs dont come pretrained...and a heeler's urge to..well, heel, is very intense. you must control that urge. Heeler's are single minded, tough dogs..they require a thinking owner who is firm, but fair with them.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 5:48 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > "Handler devoted" breeds.

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 11:16am PST 
Sanka, I think any dog that was created to work in super close proximity with people "should" have that handler devotion you are looking for.

For me, Austrailan Cattle Dogs are one of the most handler devoted breeds out there..moreso then any other breed Ive come to know. BC's are a close second..but heelers are first. they love their families, but they pick one person in the household and they will follow that person through the fires of hades and back. that level of devotion I simply havent seen in another breed.

Granted, they do present their own set of obstacles..most are extremly pig headed and take an extremly firm, but fair, handler to make sure they are well behaved. They are unique in the fact that they are "loners" to an extent..acting aloof with people they dont know, but are fiercely devoted to that one special person..
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gunner, May 25 12:44 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Possible dog for a novice owner?

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Tue May 4, '10 2:19pm PST 
They do tend to be "harder" dogs..not ones I would reccomend for a wishy washy person or a first time dog owner...the result is usually what you have experienced in the vet's office.silenced

They require a fair, but firm hand and ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY need obidience and CLEAR CLEAR boundries..they arent "known" as being a strong breed like a rottie, a GSD or a pittie..but lets face it...they were bred to take on 2000 pound bulls..they are tough tough critters.

they are also bred to think on their feet, "heel" anything that moves and be generally tencious and stubborn..or they wouldnt be used for moving cattle.

My Dakota was socilaized early on..he was friendly enough, but always observant and watchful of anyone he didnt know...while dealing with his cancer, the vets had to at times have him lay flat on his back while they took xrays or sonograms. they would always comment on how easy going he was about this...that most dogs need to be sedated and muzzled..but Dakota never did. THAT is a good, well mannered blue heeler and what every heeler owner should strive for.

they are a breed unto themselves..they simply take alot of dedication. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jul 29 11:12 pm

Behavior & Training > \"Breedist\" dogs
Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 11:52am PST 
Dakota was utterly confuzzeled by poodles in full showcut..he couldnt figure out WTH they were..
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 28 11:59 am

Dog Health > Cancer and X-rays

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:49am PST 
Leah that was a great post..smile

I opted personaly, to not open Dakota Up when we discovered his tumor..my vet couldnt even tell me if he COULD remove it, because it was SO FRIGGIN large..looked like a melon..

I dont wonder if he possibly had heart tumors as well
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Heidi (2002-2009), Feb 17 6:03 pm

Dog Health > Cancer and X-rays

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:45am PST 
Buddy

I am sorry for the loss of your Mama.

Dakota passed away due to a huge spelnic tumor almost a year ago.

They took xrays of him, and because the tumor was so large, you had to be blind to miss it..however, my vet even told me then..he couldnt guarantee what he would find when he opened him up..regarding if he could remove the massive spelnic tumor or even if he had more inside of him. so what your vet is saying definantly doesnt sound far fetched to me.

I would calmly ask to speak with the vet..simply for YOUR knowledge and to put closure to the matter..
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Heidi (2002-2009), Feb 17 6:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Kind of an Embarrassing Question...

Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 11:44am PST 
Jake and Elwood,
Can you tell me where Cesar said that..Ive read his books and dont remember seeing it in there..but then again, I may have missed it!smile or it may be somewhere else!

27-Ive neutered and unneutered dogs get thier..um..lipstick out..Dakota once got it stuck and I had no idea what to do! I ended up taking a rag and helping him "secure" himself..poor guy, he was terriably embarassed. nothing to do with breeding, hed just been playing with the other dogs in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Nov 14 6:04 pm

Dog Health > New Cancer Med is Out
Dakota- 2000-2009

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 10:05am PST 
I think this is great news, breaks my heart it wasnt out earlier..I lost Dakota in april to a massive splenic tumor.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dakota 2000-2009, Oct 21 10:05 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.