Postings by Sanka- I'll Miss You

GO!

(Page 1 of 581: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon May 11, '15 7:07am PST 
Yeah Flicka, I know the "max" speed on internet tiers are a joke. You never come close to that. But I'm paying for a minimum of 1.5 Mbs (up to 3 Mbs, yeah, right!). The internet was so slow and crappy, I couldn't even do a speed test!laugh out loud When I finally was able to do one, I was in at 0.22 Mbs.

My birthday is the 13th. A few other relatives have birthdays around mother's day too. So we just get together on mother's day and just have a general birthday/mother's day celebration for everyone. I got a lounger for outside, which I love. I would have to lay in the grass if I ever wanted to lay down outside, but now I don't have to.way to go

Seems Toto and Kato should team up. Kato attacked one of my chickens yesterday while I was out there. Very rarely have I ever yelled at Kato, but I let it all out at him yesterday when he grabbed the chicken. It was weird though...he could have easily killed it. I've seen him do it...once he grabs it, he'll give it a good shake and it's done. But he didn't shake the chicken...just kept trying to grab it. I'm just really confused on how Kato sees the chickens. If there's ever a dog to do revenge killings, it'd be Kato. I swear he gets jealous enough and is smart enough to do something like that. He never shows any interest in them when I'm out there with them. Not even a look. Never riled up about them, even if they're flapping around. Even if I'm inside and he's outside and the chickies are making a ruckus, he doesn't do anything. He's just weird about it.

Thankfully, he didn't kill or do much of any damage to the chicken, so she'll be fine. It was kind of a fluke since I was adding a perch inside their coop and they flew outside the fence, which they normally don't do. They have been getting braver around me though. They won't eat any regular food out of my hand, but I won them over with bread.

Mmmm bread,
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Sat May 9, '15 7:49pm PST 
Happy Birthday Bunny!party

Glad Lily is feeling better too.snoopy Your weather is opposite of mine. Was warm and a bit humid this morning, now it's barely 50, cloudy, windy, and spitting rain. Mother's day looks decent though. Chance of storms, but it doesn't seem like an all day event. Having brunch at my mother's. I demand she make monkey bread every mother's day. Monkey bread is my favorite dessert. If you've never had fresh monkey bread, you're missing out! The store bought stuff isn't worth buying.

I am getting super tired of having to deal with ticks! Nothing seems to work anymore. Topical K9 Advantix was the only thing that did work, but it started losing its effectiveness...would last about 2 weeks, then the ticks were back. Human bug spray for ticks doesn't work. I'm covered in bites. I recently tried Nexgard, a chewable tablet for dogs. Gave one to Kato on April 30th. I'm still picking ticks off him left and right. I can't sleep at night because I've found ticks crawling on me at night. I'm "feeling" ticks crawling on me when they aren't. It's ridiculous. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'll dump whatever chemical on me to get this to stop.

On top of that, my internet speed has been less than half of what I'm paying for. Amazingly, when I contacted the company to give them my update credit info, they got back the same day, but when I complain about not getting what I'm paying for, they remain silent. It's a small company too. About the only satellite internet provider that doesn't charge by data usage, which I HATE! I just sent another e-mail to them. If I don't hear back, I'm going to have to start searching for other companies, which is hard when you live out in the boonies. Internet is always crappy out here, but when you can't even do a google search, it's pointless to even bother with paying for it. I wanted to get rid of the TV and just use netflix or something like that, but I can barely view a photo, let alone stream a video. Clearly, I'm not a happy camper right now!!

meditatemeditatemeditate

Anyway, Happy Mother's day to all!puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 62 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Fri May 8, '15 8:37am PST 
Yup, Tornado season is up and running. I'd tell you to stay safe Flicka, but I know you're well prepared.way to go

Sick pups are no fun. Cleaning up after them is worse. Hoping everyone feels better.

Apparently, my chickens are 99% fluffy feathers. I built a new gate to their run out of a pallet. Thought the slats were narrow enough that they couldn't get through. Nope, they easily walked through. So I added another board. The spaces are literally 2"x2" squares, and they can still squeeze through them!
[notify]
» There has since been 68 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Sun May 3, '15 5:15pm PST 
Sorry to hear about Lucas' heart. Glad it isn't a tumor. At the very least, you know you have some more time and know what the issue is. Heart conditions are just the worst. They tend to sneak up on you.frown

Hooray for the barn hunt Sarah! Sounds fun!

Happy belated birthday Bunny! People who rent out pet friendly places are awesome! Seriously so hard to find pet-friendly rent. I don't blame them...because just as there are plenty of bad renters, there are plenty of bad renters with pets! Hope your new renters are good ones.way to go

Had a long week. My neighbor across the road is an older woman who lives by herself. I've always been told she'd be a bit of a hoarder...always ordering things off the TV and keeping the boxes. Well, earlier in the week, she had a fall and my grandfather had to break the door to get in. We found out she isn't just a hoarder of QVC items...she hoards everything. Trash piled 6ft high...god knows what all is in there. Her daughter came to visit her and had to rent a motel room because she wouldn't stay with her mother. The daughter was determined to clean the house, and I offered to help. I went in after she had done a day of cleaning and had a whole trailer full of trash...it didn't look like she put a dent in it. I was only inside about 5 minutes and I felt a constant burning in my lungs for the rest of the day. I've smelled worse...dealing with dogs in shelters and those puppy mill dogs...but this stench just stuck with you.

Seriously, if you've ever seen the show hoarders...where people have narrow walkways amongst the stuff to get from room to room...yeah, that's it. It's sad, because the mother doesn't see anything wrong..started blaming her daughter for causing a ruckus. Definitely tough. The daughter finally had enough and called a professional service and is basically forcing her mother to have them clean her house. She really doesn't have a choice. Either they clean it or the house is condemned. They're starting cleaning tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I just feel bad for everybody all around.

In better news, I went to an animal swap this morning. Why they have to start at 5 in the flippin morning is beyond me, but I managed to get my butt up and get 4 hens that weren't quite laying. They had obviously been with a rooster...a really rough rooster who pulled quite a few of their back feathers out, so they look rough. They're a bit skittish too, but it hasn't even been a day yet, so I'm not expecting much. They don't leave the coop much, so to get a better look at them, I opened the nesting boxes....and found 2 eggs!dancing

Also went for a hike in my new favorite spot. They rent out the land to ranchers, so you get to hike amongst cows. I was in cuteness overload as there were so many newborn calves! It was so hard to suppress the urge to try to pet them.

There are so flippin cute! (Sorry about the size)
[notify]
» There has since been 81 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '15 11:47am PST 
That's neat Bunny! Kind of how I am...only I can't stand city living. Living in the burbs drove me nuts.laugh out loud Are quail on more the wild side or are they more like chickens?

Speaking of birds, delivered to animal control today, and they had one guinea hen in a cage.big laughlaugh out loud Somebody called it in, so they had to pick it up.

I've been cutting some downed trees into fence posts. Hope to someday soon raise cattle behind the house. Start up costs are too much right now, so I'm trying to save as much as I can...and what better way than free posts? Got 16 six footers...gonna have to start cutting some 8 footers. Probably do that tonight since it is so ridiculously windy, the woods are the only place to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 122 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '15 6:28pm PST 
Do you keep quail as pets? I've seen plenty for sale...just don't know what people do with them.

"Found" one of my chickens. The dogs disappeared and were awfully quiet. Walked around the garage to see the lab eating a chicken. Since there wasn't a ruckus (I was just around the corner), the poor thing was clearly dead when she found it...but it really just adds to the mystery. I had looked quite thoroughly in that spot...nothing. The chicken was quite clean...didn't look buried, but it also wasn't stinky or decayed looking...and for being gone for a few days...it's just odd. I looked around again...didn't find any more. Did notice Kato eating the feathers....so that adds to the list of things that points to him as the guilty one...cleaning up the evidence.

And of course, now the lab, after eating a whole chicken, is wondering why she isn't being fed and is begging for food. Uh, no...I'm hoping she has a tough stomach and keeps it down the whole night. Don't want to add anything to the potential upchuck.
[notify]
» There has since been 124 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Sat Apr 18, '15 4:52pm PST 
Patch of feathers was out in the middle of an open field. Definitely didn't look like they were plucked. Looked like a tuft of feathers that come off when something grabs them. It's just weird that all 4 are just gone. Always cooped them at night. Just never suspected such a calamity during the day.

Thought I could get away with it. Clearly can't. May try to get some older birds at the swap next month. In the meantime, I'd need a bigger area to fence in for them. I just didn't want to clean poop, which is why I wanted them out. The fenced area for them was getting bare of grass and full of poop.

But we still managed to have fun today. Hiked 9.5 miles on a trail I'd never been down before. Really loved it. I think it'll be super beautiful once the leaves come in.

Fun days.
[notify]
» There has since been 130 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Sat Apr 18, '15 8:54am PST 
Beautiful pics Ty! Don't think your pups ever look bad, even when muddy.laugh out loud

My chickens are all gone.cry Two suspects...hawks and Kato. Doubt a hawk would take all 4 and leave absolutely no trace. I'm pointing the finger at Kato, but I'm seriously creeped out at how well he hid any evidence and knew to do it while I was at work. I've left him alone with the chicks plenty of times when I was doing yard work, in the house, or even out in the woods, and everything was fine. He definitely didn't eat them...his belly was not plump. No feathers anywhere in the yard. Looked around the 15 acres, didn't see anything. I noticed Kato wandering in a bit of field he sometimes buries things and found a very small batch of feathers. It was obvious they didn't just blow there...and the chickens never go out this far. Dug around a bit and didn't find anything. Even had 2 Labs out there, both of which are superb at finding dead things, and neither one of them found anything. My only hope is they managed to go to the neighbors and find a home with their chickens. Other than that, it doesn't look good. I'm seriously cursed at having birds of any sort.confused Really bummed out at this loss too.
[notify]
» There has since been 133 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '15 12:49pm PST 
That's good Sarah. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get picky with who I foster too. Kato is being a drama queen because all the dogs that have stayed with me have been great dogs...not domineering in the slightest, but Kato just won't stay in the same room...even sleeping in the bathroom closet. Thought he'd get over it, but he hasn't...and now it bothers me to hardly see him in the house.

So, I'm probably only going to foster puppies or scaredy/timid dogs. We'll see though...most pitties are pretty outgoing.laugh out loud

Isabelle, it's unfortunate that we have to pick and choose. But that's a part of life. And of course, people will only speak out on those making headlines and ignore the wonderful dogs not involved in any bites or in need of any work. But that's how it goes. The rescue I'm with had a similar issue. There was a dog they really wanted to pull from a high kill facility. And there was one woman who constantly posted she'd take them. Which was great! They went through the process with her, but realized that she has a few other pets. And the dog in question was HUGE and NOT good with other animals. The woman insisted she'd make it work. But everyone just saw a huge mess coming, so they told her no. Mostly for the safety of all the dogs, but also because of liability reasons that would hurt the rescue should anything happen, even if they made the lady sign every bit of paper relieving the rescue of all liabilities. And she's been making a fuss about how they'd rather have a dog die than go to a home. I don't think she quite understood what not good with other animals meant....

Thankfully, the dog went to another rescue. Maybe she'll go bother them now.

Beautiful day today! Decided to let the chickies free range today. Left Kato outside too. He's had zero interest in the chickens, so I'm hoping to come home to everybody alive and well.
[notify]
» There has since been 136 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '15 6:17pm PST 
Nicky, I didn't foster them. Just volunteered at their temp shelter. So glad all the pups went to rescues, but most of them will need A LOT of time. They were all friendly, just super scared. There were a few that wanted to be more outgoing, but just didn't know what to do, and would run back to their beds. The lady that does a lot of work for that organization says she much prefers busting dog fighting rings than puppy mills because the dogs in fighting rings are so much more outgoing. It's just a lot more work with the mill pups.

There was a white toy poodle puppy that was by far the favorite. I'm certain he'll be adopted really quick! Just remembered, they posted photos of all the dogs.

Here's the poodle pup.

This girl was my favorite. I couldn't get her out of her crate...too scared. But she wanted attention...you could tell. But we didn't push them.

Happy girl. I saw a video where a rescue let some of these dogs out, and I'm certain this dog, who I called Happy Girl, was one of them. She was so happy...would sprawl out or go belly up if you tried to pet her...again, just didn't know what to do, but you could tell she enjoyed it.

Ok last one: Scaredy

This dog was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo scared. One volunteer was able to get her out of the crate and into an exercise pen. You could not look at or face this dog or she would just run in circles. But if you sat down and turned your back to her, she'd paw at your back. Corralling her to get her back in her crate was tough because of this. I think she will be a tough one, but whoever gets her trust will have a great dog.

Sarah, maybe if you get a pretty easy going dog, it'd work out time wise. Not sure how involved you are with picking a dog.shrug

They're canceling a bunch of adoption events because of the dog flu outbreak in Chicago....even the stores down here, an hour away, are refusing to hold events. Hoping it passes soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 142 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Wed 9:27 pm

(Page 1 of 581: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.