GO!

(Page 1 of 36: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > New Dog Moving In Soon
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:05am PST 
If at all possible, I *really* recommend a meeting on neutral territory. We did that with our two, then on the day we brought Valentine home, my husband met up with us down the street with Titus and we had a short walk with both dogs that ended with them coming into the house together.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Angel, Nov 9 2:13 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Dangerous dog law , does size matter?
Valentine

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 5:43pm PST 
I agree with it as well. Such legislation is more about addressing behavior than any potential damage, which is exactly as it should be. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Baylee , Oct 23 6:14 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion

Valentine

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 11:50am PST 
Pibbles aren't for everyone... They CAN be fabulous family pets, but because of their strength, they need owners who are ready to spend time with training and management. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much behavior mod one does, some dogs are just not dog friendly - terriers as a group are well known for dog aggression/selectivity... And that's perfectly fine - in the right hands.

The problem lies with irresponsible owners not stepping up when they need to. Even a well bred APBT may become DA upon reaching maturity; it's up to the owner to anticipate that this can happen, take steps to keep it to a minimum, and above all, *accept* that their dog is DA and manage it.

As for human aggression, that's as big a fault in this breed as it is in most others - they are good family companions, and as such they can be wary of strangers on their property, but they shouldn't be especially sharp about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 54 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > 80 lb staffordshire terrier?

Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:26pm PST 
No, you weren't wrong. APBTs and Staffies should be medium sized dogs when bred properly - though their weight range IS broad compared to other breeds... But there are a lot of weird mixes being sold as both of those breeds.

And since Staffies fall into the 'pit bull' category, using that name (correctly or not) isn't going to make much of a difference.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Charley R.I.P my Handsome boy, Sep 17 11:51 am

Dog Health > allergic to collar

Valentine

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 9:04am PST 
I don't use Lupine for this very reason - they're stiff with sharp edges and irritated Valentine's neck terribly. She wears a soy collar from Good Earth now - it's soft and strong and vegetable dyed.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tuna, Aug 22 1:25 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > 'Silence and Excuse Kill More Pits Than Vick'
Valentine

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 6:44pm PST 
I agree with Lucille. A bad breeder is a bad breeder, regardless of the chosen breed of dog.

And as in the case of Lennox, most of the poorly written legislation regarding pit bulls focuses on a dog's *appearance*, not it's actual breed (Lennox was not a pit bull). Even if one were to somehow regulate the breeding of American Pit Bull Terriers, what of the thousands of various mixes of unrelated breeds that happen to look like pit bulls? Those dogs continue to be targeted, too.

While I will agree that pit bulls aren't for everyone, BSL is discriminatory legislation, no matter how it's dressed up. Fair and enforceable dangerous dog legislation serves to keep the public safe without discrimination.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Happy, Jul 29 8:40 pm

Behavior & Training > You would think they'd learn some things on their own, but no...

Valentine

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 5:15pm PST 
You have to start slow, and the dog should already have a good understanding of basic OB commands (sit, down, wait, etc.). Start by letting her sniff the toy and having her do some basic OB while you hold it.

You can make the toy more interesting by putting some scent on it (sold at hunting/sporting goods stores, or just plain vanilla extract or hot dog juice can work, too).

Move on to dragging the toy slowly in the grass and having her do some OB work as you drag it, and reward her by letting her chase and catch it. There are lots of was to teach it - you can reward her with food for leaving a chase and coming to you, or reward her with a chase/catch on cue, etc.

The goal here is not to *stop* her prey drive - I don't think that's possible, frankly - but to control the drive, to be able to call off a chase when necessary, or cue one as a reward. Impulse control doesn't smother the impulse, it just gives you a bit more control over the where and when of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ace, Jul 18 12:32 pm

Behavior & Training > You would think they'd learn some things on their own, but no...

Valentine

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 10:48pm PST 
Have you considered using a flirt pole to teach impulse control? It's helped me to manage Valentine's prey drive.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Ace, Jul 18 12:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Crate training crash course!

Valentine

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 7:27pm PST 
Can you baby gate her in a bathroom overnight? After removing anything she might destroy first, of course. That way she'll be in a relatively puppy-proof environment without feeling too isolated.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zoe, Jun 13 9:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Crate training crash course!
Valentine

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 12:25pm PST 
Since you'll be home and there's no medical issue, you might try tethering her to you and go a little slower with the crate if you can...

But as long as you don't force her, you can accelerate crate training. If she shows any reluctance, back off a little. I had to crate train my Pit mix in three days in preparation for heartworm treatment and she actually took to it quite well. Make it a good place to be - stuffed Kongs, feeding in the crate, reward generously when she goes in of her own volition... And don't close the door until she's comfortable being in there - if she panics, it'll set you back.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zoe, Jun 13 9:29 pm

(Page 1 of 36: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.