GO!

(Page 1 of 304: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Multi-dog homes and aggression between dogs?
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:48pm PST 
I'm with you, Ava. I choose my dogs carefully - they might ("might" laugh out loud) have other issues, but they they absolutely must be able to get along with family members, including the other dog/s. I've never had more than a random squabble here. Some of it is dumb luck, no doubt, but some of it is selection and training, too.

Serious violence between pack members is a deal breaker for me. To be honest, I understand why the author of that story gave up on the dog - not everyone has the resources or living arrangements or the level of commitment needed to deal with a situation so grave.

*I do, however, think the author needs to own her mistakes: She chose poorly (both Mastiffs and Pit bull breeds are well known for DA/SSA), she made little effort at training during the crucial period, she ignored all the signs that the dog was becoming dangerous... And when it all went wrong she wasn't there with the dog at the end, and then blamed everyone but herself for the problems.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 10:54 am

Puppy Place > Kinda need some advice ( dad in laws dog)
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:33am PST 
You might try a training facility - there are a number of places here who will help people in transition by providing free/low cost boarding for their dogs for extended periods of time. If you anticipate moving to a larger place in the not-too-distant future and can reclaim the dog then, that might be an option.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 3:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Aggressive towards other dogs

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:20am PST 
Until you or Sister's BF can get some real, in-person help, I recommend a muzzle. I know a lot of people consider muzzles a rather drastic, last-ditch effort, but they really aren't. Conditioned properly they can literally be lifesavers. They can also help keep an over-reactive dog more calm by removing the option of biting. I don't recommend them for use with off-lead groups of dogs where only one dog is muzzled (dog parks or playgroups), but in one-on-one interactions, a muzzle can really help beyond just bite prevention.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 12:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Training question. Please help!

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:42am PST 
I would train separately until they're 90% in accuracy and speed, then start training them together.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 1:45 pm

Behavior & Training > An All Time Low

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:22pm PST 
Has he had a vet check to be sure there's no medical issues? If he's healthy, I would then go right back to basics. Is he crate trained? Can you tether him to you? I would limit his unsupervised time and go back to NILIF.

Sorry you're having this trouble - being pregnant is exhausting enough! meditate wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 7:57 am

Sports & Agility > Confused about Some APDT Rally Rules
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 8:42pm PST 
How do you keep it honest, though? I mean, I assume multiple tries aren't allowed in the ring; how does one know how many takes there were in a video run though? Or did I miss something?
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 4:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Being Picked Up

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:35pm PST 
Shoot - too late to edit...
You might also try a sling to help him in and out of the car. A sturdy piece of fabric with nylon web handles at each end.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 8:49 am

Behavior & Training > Being Picked Up

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:09pm PST 
Oh man, I hear you... All my previous dogs have been 100+ lbs, so lifting them as they got older just wasn't going to happen.

Have you considered a ramp? We built one that was hinged in the middle so I could fold it and store it in the SUV. They have them ready made, but I found they're too short - they're at too sharp an angle for an old dog. It's just 2 pieces of plywood with a piano hinge in the middle and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 8:49 am

Behavior & Training > Dog to Dog Corrections

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:06am PST 
Goodness, so much hyperbole! laugh out loudlaugh out loud

It's ridiculous to assume that dogs are incapable of fairly delivering and receiving corrections without some sort of psychic damage. Honestly, the more we humans interfere in what could/should/is meant to be normal canine interaction, the more anti-social, "reactive" dogs I see.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 2:40 pm

Dog Health > He Bloated
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:16am PST 
My 2-year-old GSD mix from years ago did exactly as yours did, Kodie. It was fortunate that I caught it almost immediately and she recovered quite well, but it scared the snot out of me. shock

She was quite the scavenger though and would eat carrion if she could, and as we'd just cleaned up a possum carcass earlier in the day, the vet surmised that eating some of it might have caused a lot of gas, and that she became symptomatic after eating her regular meal of kibble on top of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 12 7:17 pm

(Page 1 of 304: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.