GO!

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Best way to introduce two dogs?
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Tue May 13, '14 5:38pm PST 
I work at a boarding facility that runs a daycare and we have quite a few corgis as well. Not one corgi has ever had to be kicked out or had any problems with the other dogs there. Maybe we just have a lot of good corgis in the area... but I wouldn't rule them out as being dog aggressive right off the bat. A few snap at people when grabbed suddenly, but they're all wonderful with other dogs. Just be careful, as you would with *any* dog you're introducing!

One thing I would say to make sure you do is keep the leashes loose. So many people introduce dogs on tight leashes and that can cause aggressive outbursts. Keeping them on leash is great in case you need to separate them, but try to keep their leashes loose. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 13 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Brace obedience
Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 7:46pm PST 
I'd *definitely* work on Suka's behavior alone first. Work on unclipping the leash and having it with no emotion of being "free". Unclip the leash, then bring out treats and toys to make it super positive working with *you*. Once Suka is good alone, *then* I would start adding Faith into the mix with off leash exercises.
Honestly I would start with doing simple things like "sit" with*out* the coupler/leashes and practice rewarding and working with both dogs at once. Then you can start shaping it for a better performance, and adding the coupler/leashes.

Maybe I'll see you at state this year! This is gonna be my last year showing frown although I'm definitely gonna be there with my younger 4-H trainers in future years too. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 7:46 pm

Dog Health > Cushings Disease and calcification.

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 5:55pm PST 
So sorry to hear. You did so much for him!
My girl has atypical Addison's and almost didn't make it this summer. I doubt that your dog did develop Addison's in the end - most dogs in that bad of a state are in "Addisonian Crisis" and survive maybe 24 hours.
I know it's probably not easy for you right now, but you did everything you could for him. Sometimes it's just their time to go, no matter how much we want them to stay. That's the problem with dogs - they never live quite long enough! hug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 10:26 am

Senior Dogs > Old Dog comments

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 10:25pm PST 
Mya's been going white on the face for years now. She looks to part of an old lab now - white around her eyes and cataracts, too frown she's been that way since she was 4 or 5 though... she's going on 7.
Old dog comments still kinda hurt though. Mya doesn't *act* old at all typically, other than having wonderful manners wink but people see her and think she's ancient. One time that hurt the most was 2 years ago (so when she was 5). We'd just run at an agility trial - our 1st AKC. New place for Mya, and it snowed on us and was ridiculously cold, and this was our 3rd run of the day. Mya ran well but not quite fast enough because she was so tired and sick of this particular show at that moment, lol. I was still proud of how she had done her first trial (4Qs out of 5 events that weekend, and this was our last run and an NQ). A stranger commented as we were leaving how she was such an old dog to be going so slowly - I replied with she was 5 and they said "oh, so she's over her prime."
Umm, nope... sorry, she gets better and faster at agility every year. Just today she was running some of her fastest and best courses yet and it's been half a year since she almost died from an Addisonian Crisis. I'm just happy she can *walk* again much less run agility with the best of them! Even in agility, I think the older the dog, the better they are, to an extent of course.
It hurts to see them get old frown but at the same time it's such a special realization that you and the dog grew older together...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 9:58 am

Behavior & Training > The terrible pit bulls *rant*

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '14 9:29pm PST 
Thanks guys... yeah, I know they're likely not going to listen, and I usually ignore articles like that for that reason... but this one was just so plain *wrong* that it's been bothering me. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 25 10:39 am

Behavior & Training > The terrible pit bulls *rant*
Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '14 4:31pm PST 
Hey Dogsters!
I was surfing the web today and came across this blog: http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/03/17/pit-bulls-can-maul-children-t o-death-but-hey-why-should-that-stop- you-from-owning-one/comment-page-14/
Remove the space between stop and you.
I *know* we can find some credible sources to comment with. It's likely not going to change the minds of the people commenting right now but someone might come across it and be on the fence and some support would be nice to have a better representation.
I'm at work now and can't find the sources on my mobile. Any pit lovers that wanna help me I would appreciate it... This article has had me so furious the entire day I don't think I can describe just have mad I am. :'(
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 25 10:39 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hypotheticaly could a Cane Corso make a good Therapy Dog?

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '14 7:59pm PST 
*Any* breed can have individuals that make excellent therapy dogs.
The likelyhood of a Cane Corso being a good therapy dog might be lower than for other breeds, but it certainly could happen.

A Corso came into my work (a pet resort) last week for an evaluation with other people and dogs to see if it would be suitable for boarding. And this Corso was *awesome*. 100% WONDERFUL with other dogs and people. Even when the owners had the dog, the dog would seek out the attention of others when they walked by. And in such a gentle way, he would simply walk slowly out and look at you and if you stopped and invited him over he would come rest his head on you.

So I know that Corsos with this personality can and do exist, haha. If you're set on a Corso as a TD I would suggest adopting one from a rescue after a full evaluation, or buying an older retired breeding dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 23 8:02 am

Sports & Agility > How to teach my agility dog the "here" command

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 6:12am PST 
Body language is certainly a huge part of this. I use "here" as well, but it is more just alerting my dog to pay attention back to me again. You could just as easily call your dog's name to encourage them to turn back to you so you can cue them with hand signals and body language.
I also use "in" and "out" for threadles and serpentines, etc. Honestly though the words are more just for me to talk it through. When Mya is paying full attention to me we can run a course without words. Sometimes in a distracting trial saying things might help her keep her focus on me, but it's the body language, not the words, that matter to Mya.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 25 6:12 am

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Sun Jan 26, '14 1:24pm PST 
It's been interesting to see P4P develop... I've been stalking this thread since I'm rarely home with my crazy schedule and the campus computers won't let me sign into Dogster!
One idea for the forums - could we have separate forums for dogs and cats like we have now, and then have a few of the social forums combined for dogs and cats? I think a lot of the people looking for the combination are the people who most enjoyed the social aspect. I personally enjoyed this site the most for the educational aspect of the forums. I would like to see dog and cat separate... but could definitely see having a couple of the social forums allow dogs and cats to post.
Maybe another forum too for all the other pets? I know it's a "pet" site and some people might be looking for the entire pet aspect too.
Gotta head off to work now (in a blizzard... this'll be fun).
[notify]
» There has since been 185 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Mya CGC TDI

Barked: Sun Jan 26, '14 1:24pm PST 
It's been interesting to see P4P develop... I've been stalking this thread since I'm rarely home with my crazy schedule and the campus computers won't let me sign into Dogster!
One idea for the forums - could we have separate forums for dogs and cats like we have now, and then have a few of the social forums combined for dogs and cats? I think a lot of the people looking for the combination are the people who most enjoyed the social aspect. I personally enjoyed this site the most for the educational aspect of the forums. I would like to see dog and cat separate... but could definitely see having a couple of the social forums allow dogs and cats to post.
Maybe another forum too for all the other pets? I know it's a "pet" site and some people might be looking for the entire pet aspect too.
Gotta head off to work now (in a blizzard... this'll be fun).
[notify]
» There has since been 186 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.