Postings by Cain

GO!

(Page 1 of 314: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > What Makes Some Dogs "Bomb-Proof"?
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Sun Mar 2, '14 10:26am PST 
Exactly. A bomb proof dog has good nerves - and that's not something you can train. It's stability, it's adaptability, it's confidence - all of which training can enhance to create a rock solid dog in all arenas. You can, via training and exposure, improve a weak nerved dog, but you will never have one that is bomb proof.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cain, Mar 2 10:26 am

Senior Dogs > One last journey
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 5:53pm PST 
Someone sent me this after Cain's death - I liked it, as much as I could anything at that time:

"All The Good Dogs

What purpose did they serve, all the good dogs that once ran through the world and wait now in the shadowy quiet of the past?

They lightened our burden and drove away our enemies and stayed when others left us.

They gave aid and comfort, protection and security. They held a mirror wherein we might see ourselves as we long to be.

They gave us a glimpse of the world beyond the narrow confines of our own species.

Although we make dull students, slowly they help us learn how to command and to protect with wisdom and justice and imagination.

They taught and still teach us the joy of giving generosity and kindess and love—without the thought of gainful return.

And now—all the fleet hounds, the staunch mastiffs, the loyal shepherds, the dancing toys, the fumbling puppies, pets on silken pillows, workers plodding at their tasks, the special ones you loved best, those of ours we still miss--
To all the good dogs, goodbye,
until some brighter day in some fair place you run out to greet us again."

I'm sorry for your loss, and I understand your pain.
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 4 11:34 am

Behavior & Training > new dog can't play nice with the cats -- help!!

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 7:33pm PST 
Your dog needs a job. I have 5 Catahoulas, G2 being one (Thanks, Squam! laugh out loud, and they require significant exercise, both physical & mental. These are dogs that head (not herd) cattle to get them from one place to another, hunt & bay up hogs, tree raccoons, and protect the homestead from varmints both 4 legged and 2. Your dog will not be satisfied working for a treat, and will not have its 'focus' diminished by treat giving during cat presence - that's just not what Catahoulas do. The only hope you have is to stimulate both the mind & the body - the old saying about Catahoulas is that if they don't have a job, they will eat your house - and everything in it. Aversive training won't work any more than force free - until the dog has sufficient mental & physical exercise.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jul 30 12:31 am

Behavior & Training > At what age does DA and SSA crop up/when will you know if it will crop up

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 9:10pm PST 
"I'd definitely avoid those dogs with a tendency to DA and SSA. It does tend to crop up at adolescence and maturity."

Absolutely. Catahoulas, for example, are known for SSA/DA, beginning at between 8 months & 1.5 years - they can go from absolutely fine on one day to ravening crazed hellions when their biological trigger gets tripped on the next. Not fun,and certainly something to avoid if you can.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 28 4:30 am

Behavior & Training > Police Dog attacks child in Grandmother's garden.

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 9:02pm PST 
Sounds like a poorly trained & over-excited dog - and handler. A good dog should be able to discern between a threat & a non-threat, which leads me to believe this is not a particularly good dog in general - a dog with a good, stable bloodline behind it, even if not experienced, can still determine what's a threat and what isn't, and a child is clearly not a threat. This is not a dog - or a handler, either - that I would want on the street.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Jul 4 6:55 am

Food & Nutrition > Unbelievable!
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 8:52pm PST 
Wow, was this article even trying to be serious or is it satire? Unbelievable!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jul 1 9:11 am

Behavior & Training > When do dog to dog corrections become bullying type behaviours?

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 12:14pm PST 
"But seriously, no one is saying you're going against a dog's nature or making dogs believe they're human, as if that were possible. Those excuses to justify leaving it up to your dog to settle matters with violence is just that, excuses to justify it."

Isn't this contradictory?

"I think it highly depends on the dogs you are working with."

I can agree with this also - seems to be common sense. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Behavior & Training > When do dog to dog corrections become bullying type behaviours?

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 8:18pm PST 
"'I really want communication to be learned, not violence. Mediation through non-violent methods is reflected in dogs who learn these skills'. "

Do you believe that dogs learn to function outside their nature as animals? Do you think they learn mediation skills and resolve things in non-violent methods? Maybe I'm just perplexed by the way this is worded, but I think this whole concept is counter to Nature herself. Of course I'm not advocating that you allow things to get crazy out of hand where someone gets hurt, but otherwise, I believe that the other Guest has it pretty much nailed as far as animal behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog to Dog Corrections

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 1:28pm PST 
"Cain I think Luba sounds like Sabi.Gotta love them."

Yup - big grin They're pretty fabulous, no doubt about that. We got lucky. smile
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 17 2:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog to Dog Corrections
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:09pm PST 
"I still believe that no human will ever speak dog as well as, well, a dog."

applauseapplause
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 17 2:40 pm

(Page 1 of 314: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.