GO!

American Pit Bull Terrier > skin allergies?

Haylee

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 7:03pm PST 
My Dog has Severe Food and Environmental Allergies.

Some of the symptoms are:

Constant Scratching/Biting at the skin and paws
Constant Licking of the skin
Pus in eyes
Skin appearing bright red or blotchy

My dog bites/ scratches her self till she bleeds

What type of food do you give your dog?

I had my dog tested for allergies and she is allergic to 27 things... Which include some of the following: Chicken,Turkey, Dairy, Wheat, Feathers, Soy, Tomato Pomace, Cats, Carpet, Dust Mites, Grass, Weeds etc....

So you might want to buy a hypo-allergenic dog food first and see if that corrects the problem.
I feed my dog Hils Z/D Ultra (avail at Vet offices).

If the problem still is not corrected feel free to contact me and I can provide you with other "medical" solutions.

Hope this helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 12:02 pm

Dog Health > Anyone know anything about Skin Eze??
Haylee

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 5:49pm PST 
I have just ordered Skin-Eze and will let you know what I think of it. I have included a brief history about my dog and the other treatments that I have tried.

Haylee is 5 years old and has been plagued with Skin problems since she was a puppy. She suffers from severe Food and Environmental Allergies. Haylee constantly scratches and bites at her skin to the point where she draws blood. Because she chews and scratches she also develops Secondary Bacterial Skin conditions which add to the itching/scratching..

We had our Vet send in Haylee's blood to a company called SPOT out of Arizona. They did a full blood analysis and have concluded that Haylee is allergic to 27 items. It was quite expensive (approx $1500 CAD) but well worth the money since we know what triggers her reactions.
We were told that "Hills Z/D Ultra" would be the best Hypo Allergenic dog food that we could give her and she has been on it for 3 years now.

Wheat, poultry, Dairy, Soy, grass, weeds, dust mites, carpet, cats, feathers, Tomato Pomace (It's in most dog foods/treats), are just a few of the items that she is allergic to.

After the blood work was done we tried giving Haylee Allergy shots to build up a tolerance to the above listed items. We were not happy with the results for the following reason:

1. Haylee took allergy shots for almost 1 year...She looked dreadful and did not seem to be developing an immunity.
2. The needles had to be given once per week.
3. We still had to give her predisone and Panalog Creme (cortison) to relieve her symptoms.

We finally determined that the injections weren't working and searched for another remedy.

We were then informed about the drug "Atopica". We were told that it worked very well and did not cause any side effects to her liver/kidneys.

Atopica is also expensive. The price of the pills is determined by the weight of your pet.
Haylee is only 19lbs and the pills cost approx $130 per month. So imagine the cost if you had a bigger dog!!

Haylee did experience some relief with Atopica. However, we had her liver enzymes tested prior to the treatment and then 6 months after and our Vet concluded that Atopica was causing her liver damage. We felt lied to and stopped the treatment immediately.

Just last week I took Haylee to a Holistic Vet. She performed Accupuncture and suggested some natural herbs for Haylee to take since we have pretty much exhausted all "Medical" remedies.

I started searching the internet yesterday and found many people raving about "Skin-Eze". It states that it is made of all-natural herbs and causing no side effects. So I thought what do I have to lose right?

So although this post might seem "long-winded". I just wanted you to know a little about Haylee and hence a little bit about me at the same time. I adore Haylee and her safety/care is my top priority. I have spent about 6 hours searching the internet and I haven't found any negative comments about the product yet. I plan on contacting the Holistic Vet with the ingredients list prior to giving them to Haylee...So I will let you know what I think shortly..

Take care.

Haylee's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 11:20 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.