Postings by Grafton

GO!

English Springer Spaniel > New to Dogster! Woof, Woof!

Grafton

Mr. Wet Paws,- and yes, I love- the snow.

Barked: Sat Jan 31, '09 12:09pm PST 
Hello All you gorgeous Springers! big grin

Just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading this forum so far, and for the most part everyone seems very nice!

Happy Springing,

Grafton
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cassie , Mar 13 7:23 am

Puppy Place > Biting and jumping on couch
Grafton

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 12:04pm PST 
Okay Wrigley's Dad,

About your wife: Probably the most important things that she can do are ---- ****participating**** in wearing and tiring Wrigley out. This will create a bond between them as well as a positive association for him *with her*. way to go The next thing would be for her to REALLY AND TRULY work on RELAXING AND BEING CALM when she is around the pup, and then REWARDING HIM FOR BEING CALM *when he is calm*. Of course you should be doing these things too, but they will be more important for her because she is the one with the feelings of insecurity, hesitation, or negative anticipation.
Another Key thing for both of you-but probably *more* for her, is to REALLY be careful about NOT REWARDING excited behavior from him (****EXCEPT WHEN IT IS PLAYTIME****). For instance, you should not try to "pet the puppy into submission". In other words, if he is nipping, do not talk to him in a rewarding tone of voice **or** pet him(as some do to try to reassure their dog). This part is why it is so SUPER important for him to have exercise/mental stimulation in order to tire him out so that he can focus more easily and readily on your cues.

Good Luck Wrigley and Wrigley's Dad! cheer

Grafton and his Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Mar 20 11:22 am

Puppy Place > Biting and jumping on couch

Grafton

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 3:21pm PST 
Hey Wrigley!

When I first saw him, I thought he was a Bernese and I was surprised you were having this problem. When I looked at your profile, though and realized he is an Aussie, I had to write you.
Have you contacted your breeder(for advice)? You have a herding breed. In particular, Aussies are known for this, especially as pups. When his adult teeth come in you should see a drastic reduction in this behavior. Also, have you tried toys that are a little more interesting than just a plain toy? Like a frozen kong with peanut butter and treats in the center(yes-you freeze it with the stuff inside it). How is he doing with training in regards to other behaviors/commands?
Next: What materials or approach are you using overall? Do you have a book that you are using? A TV show as inspiration? Personal experience? I would highly recommend The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skete, or How To Be Your Dogs Best Friend by the same authors (as previous book).

cheerblue dog

Good Luck and Hope to hear about your progress!

Grafton and his mistress

wave
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Mar 20 11:22 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.