Postings by Maggie

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Choosing the Right Dog > I heard female Boston Terriers are not cuddly?
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 6:47am PST 
I dont know much about the cuddle ability of Bostons but I do believe that it depends on the dog. Out of my dachshunds (1 female, 2 males) the girl is the most attention seeking one! Just look at her page, you can tell she cannot stay away (she is kinda a pain because she always wants to be with you)!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maggie, Jun 6 6:47 am

Behavior & Training > GOOD OR BAD IDEA?!?!? Small and Large Breed Living Together?
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 6:44am PST 
I have 3 mini dachshunds (ranging from 7 to 10 lbs), a Border collie x (35 lbs), a Golden (55 lbs) and a new English Foxhound puppy who at 4 months already weighs 50 lbs. We leave 1 doxie, the golden, and the BC mix together when we are not home and have never had a problem. It is all about you teaching them the boundaries, my doxies will stand up to the larger dogs and will let them know when things are getting to rough but you have to be their to enforce it until the larger dog realizes that their are different ways to play with different dogs.

For example, when the foxhound and golden play they go hard...throwing each other around and grabbing at each other. However when the foxhound plays with the doxies he is much gentler, usually just laying on the ground and pawing at them while the doxies run around him like crazy dogs. He has already started laying down to greet smaller dogs. The foxhound has picked up on the differences between large dog and small dog play very quickly.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 10:09 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Adopting a rescue amstaff/lab mix, advice please?

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:06pm PST 
I am sorry for your loss.

In my years of experience being both an adopter and a foster for many dogs and cats. The current animals pick the new one more than the person does. It will be up to your current dog if she likes the new one or if it is just too much for her.

Most shelters and rescues require the current dog to meet the possible new dog so make sure your girl is comfortable meeting new dogs and that you know her stress signals. For example, is she trying to hide from the other dog or is she pulling you to get to it? Is she interested in sniffing and playing with the new dog or is she all over you? Take signals from your dog, that will be the ultimate deciding factor. You may end up finding that your dog will pick out a dog with the best energy level for you and her, if this dog is too active your girl will probably let you know when they meet.

As for the space issue, that is up to you and how much space you are willing to share with the dogs.

The breeds are most likely a guess but it is a good idea to research the breeds that are believed to be in it. This way you have an idea of what the tendencies will be and what health issues may be more prevalent in the future.

Let us know what happens!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 17 5:06 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Placing a dog with a bite history

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 9:05am PST 
You need to contact Hound Haven about her current situation and see what they suggest. They may be willing to take her back and work with her issues
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Noah, Nov 19 5:34 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Before your dog was rescued

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 5:01pm PST 
Maggie and Milo were both surrenders. Maggie was only 1 yr old when she was surrendered and Milo was 5 yrs old when he was surrendered

Maggie was turned over to the local Humane Society (where I volunteered at the time). She was luck I was there as she was about to be put down due to being to aggressive (she bit 3 people and a large dog within 1 hour of coming into the shelter). Since I was there they let me see her paperwork that the owner brought and filled out to give her up. She was bought as a puppy from a puppy mill and shipped from Iowa to Maryland at 8 weeks old. I got the rest of her info from the surrender form the people filled out...here are some questions and there answers....
Where is the dog kept during the day? In a hall closet
Where is the dog kept when you are home? In the hall closet
how does your dog react to..
Strangers? Barks/ runs
Other dogs? Runs
Kids? Runs

From this info I gathered she was with idiots and by looking at her you could tell she was terrified due to the lack of socialization.

As for Milo, he was surrendered to a breed rescue. His person kept him in a crate in her back yard because he "was not house trained" (note he never had an accident in his foster home or in my house). He has a broken tail and a mass on his paw and could not be touched. He had to have a dental and had 5 teeth removed. His foster mom could not touch him for the first 3 months he lived with her. He was extremely fearful.

They are both great little dogs now, Maggie has totally gotten over her fear. Milo is working on his, we recently had a huge milestone where he ran up to one of my co workers and jumped up on them and allowed them to pet him happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bridger, Aug 26 4:40 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Bring my dog to meet breeder?
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:09pm PST 
I would ask them before hand
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Jun 15 10:34 am

Dog Health > Jasper swallowed a bird

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 2:38am PST 
Maggie is a bird killer, she is 5 and has eaten 3 little birds. She has never had any problems from her eating them.

And before anyone asks, yes we try to stop her but she is a dachshund so she is a hunter by default and is very fast. We recently cut down the tree in our yard so hopefully she will not be able to get any more.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Silas, Jun 1 4:32 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > My dog bit a dog who came into my yard -whose at fault?

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 2:04pm PST 
Im in MD. My friends have 3 great danes and someone broke into their house (stupid move). The dogs let the 2 men in and then would not let them out of the house, one of the dogs bit one of the men when he was trying to leave the house...it was a very serious bite frown The burglars called the cops but while the cops were on the way my friend got home and found the 2 men in the bathroom with blood everywhere.

The cops pulled up and the injured man was sent to the hospital, when the burglar said he wanted to press charges the cops laughed and said that since he was not given permission to enter the house that the dog did what it was suppose to do. The injured man actually took my friend to civil court for his medical bills where the judge ruled in favor of my friend and told the man he could not get anything since he was breaking in.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Apr 28 8:40 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Help me find a perfect breed

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 2:54pm PST 
we will need a lot more information in order to figure out which breed is good for you. As of now, we only know that you want a large breed that is not too active.

We need to know:
what you consider large (give us a min weight if possible)
Does shedding or drool bother you?
You want something trainable but how much time are you willing to put in to train it
You want protective but there are different kinds of protection...do you want a dog that can be around strangers and evaluates the danger OR will just having a deep, intimidating bark be okay OR do you have some other form of protection in mind
Will the dog be around kids? other dogs? small animals?
how much time are you willing to put into grooming?
You want a dog that is not too active but we need to know how much you are willing to walk the dog or do other activities with it (some dogs I consider not that active may be too active for others so knowing how much time you can commit to exercise will help)

I know that there are other things we need to know but if you could give us more info we could narrow it down and try to figure out which breed would be good for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Feb 5 1:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Bringing home a dachshund
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:57pm PST 
2 of mine (maggie and wiggles) have just as much energy as my golden, they like to walk but they love to run and chase things even more...Milo is the opposite, he hates going for walks and is very lazy.

All of mine love to run and try and catch things (yes even Milo!) so I use a "cat wand" toy (without catnip of course) to let them chase and catch something, we do this for about 1 hour a day. We also take them for a 1/2 mile walk every morning and evening (Milo protests after 15 mins, he is very lazy).

You cannot forget that they are hounds, dont be surprised that if you cut a walk short or they get bored they will dig or find something to do. If for some reason have to cut a walk short mine tend to bring me presents when they come in from the yard, so far in the years I have had them Wiggles has brought me 1 baby bunny frown Maggie has brought me 2 birds, and Milo is just to slow to catch anything.

They tend to be energetic little dogs, my Maggie does agility and loves it but if you decide to do something like that be careful with the jumping due to their backs. Milo is the perfect example of a dog who does not fit the normal, he is lazy and, other than the cat wand, he would rather lay around all day then do anything that involves him spending energy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Baby, Sep 28 5:08 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.