GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Behavior & Training > Rescuing an abused pit
Achilles

Professional- chick magnet

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 11:52am PST 
Just to specify there was no real aggression, only over-eager behavior. My dog actually got a bit defensive and aggravated which is as unusual as could be. Still a bad dynamic between the two of them...but for anyone interested in brainstorming this with me, as a helper for Max, might want to know this detail.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 23 12:07 pm

Achilles

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 11:38am PST 
(disclaime - keybooarrd issues)

So it is a no go for me personally, Max the pit has never ever been on a leash and is brruutally strong (80lb)

however myy assessment is he needs:
1) EXErCISE
2) desensitizing to excitement cues and socializing
3) training (yes, it is #3)

He will need someone stubborn and strong who can do the leash training, and I'd say chuckit fetch and a doggie pack for good measure.

He will need to be socialized and shown every little thing is not reason to jump, bark, and run around.

And yes he will need training but far more he needs the other two.

The male/male thing between him and Achilles just makes it not wwork uunfoortunately. But I have agreed to help him "pay rent," lend a crate if necessary, lent leash/harness, and will be walking him one on one when possible.

I've also offered my decent enough experience and a few hours a week of training/advice help, indefinitely, for any potential adopters.

There was just no way I could adopt this doog and remain sane, wwith my dog. He just needs too much.

Beautiful dog though...and I will help however I can. He is not going to the shelter, that's for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 23 12:07 pm

Achilles

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 8:34am PST 
Thanks. This isn't an immediate decision luckily.

I am going today, here are my current list of temperament tests I will run.

Food guarding and aggression w/ my dog present?
Treat aggression?
Response to dropping an empty food bowl (aluminum) on concrete?
Response to grooming (being brushed)?
Off leash behavior around my dog? (Curious, guarded, hostile, playful, shy, etc)
Hand-shy?
Ability to walk on leash?

None are deal breakers, I just want to know what I'm getting into.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 23 12:07 pm

Achilles

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 7:21am PST 
Hey,

Just got an email from a former teacher of mine who thinks of me as a good dog owner.

She had a young pit (male, maybe 1 year?) wander up and has kept him. The shelter here puts them down automatically. Plus, he has scarring, hard to tell (haven't seen him either except for pics) whether from direct abuse or as a result of fighting or baiting.

She will pay for neutering if I take him in or help him find a home.

I currently own an AB (Achilles) who is gentle and a great dog. This pit is supposedly very friendly, hasn't been tested with other dogs, but is people friendly and not shy or cowering.

So I have some specific questions:

-Are there any temperament tests I should do (other than meet, greet, walk w/ my dog) or can do to figure out if there is significant past aggression reinforcement that will need to be broken down?

-Assuming crate training (and keeping the 2 males separate when I am not home), adequate exercise, good authority, and smart interactions are givens, anyone care to take a stab at what issues I might face?

-Any temperament tests not specifically devised to detect aggression, that you might recommend?

-Any specific advice or experiences that are similar?

Thanks.
Corey
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 23 12:07 pm

Raw Food Diet > Brains!!!

Achilles

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 1:49pm PST 
I have a similar place I buy from, Super G Mart in greensboro NC...ethnic supermarket, literally.

I have fed "beef head meat" (brains etc) and my dog absolutely loves it.

Very nutrition and vitamin-rich, with phosphatidylserine to boot smile

I feed almost all my raw food to the dog partially or completely frozen.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 3 1:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking before being fed
Achilles

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '09 8:42am PST 
Google NILIF program or Nothing in Life is Free program. This is an idea that addresses your issue and more. The other posters have touched on it; the idea is to teach your dog that he does not control your behavior with barking, whining, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 26 5:11 pm

Behavior & Training > This may turn into something really bad.

Achilles

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '09 8:36am PST 
Don't scream or slap. Do give a hard correction with the leash/collar and a firm "No." Keep the dog in the situation and explain to the other dog's owner, "I'm trying to break him of this habit, sorry. Let's see if he does it again."

I agree with the bad manners thing rather than a fear thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 26 5:10 pm

Behavior & Training > One-line product reviews/experiences :)

Achilles

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '09 8:32am PST 
stinky - those tough soft toys have always looked great. keep us posted on how it goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 20 4:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > dogs dont eat

Achilles

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:29pm PST 
I switched achilles from purina to iams to canidae to EVO for this reason. EVO is all he will eat dry. I was mixing chicken livers and eggs and all kinds of other stuff in the food and I thought, why not save mess and break even on the money at worst. Haven't looked back.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 3:13 pm

Behavior & Training > One-line product reviews/experiences :)
Achilles

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 8:56am PST 
Just for anyone else reading, what I mean is:

Buy a carabiner (not the kind for keys, but rather the kind for climbing. The cheapest one will suffice as it's designed to support a human being falling 10+ feet vertically)

Get a sturdy dog harness that fits your dog well and requires minimal adjusting and has easy on/off (this is important because you want to use it EVERY car trip)

Clip the belt before putting the dog in the back seat. go ahead and clip the carabiner around the diagonal shoulder strap. THEN get your dog in, command SIT, and snap the dog's harness to the carabiner.

Works perfectly for me...plus the dog can adjust to get comfy as the diagonal srap is typically adjustable until you hit the brakes etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Dec 20 4:21 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.