Postings by Kado

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > And now we're chasing cars..
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:19am PST 
Is he just lunging at cars or would he actually chase them. How does he behave toward parked cars?

Can you put him in a sit or down every time a car passes?
That's what I try to do with 3 of my dogs, and one I have to stuff food in her mouth!

Does he want to chase other things? Moving people, runners, horses, cows, sheep, other animals, bicycles, etc.?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Miikka, Feb 27 12:42 pm

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 3:19pm PST 
Brittany Mix -- I'm a Cattle Dog mix
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Piper, Jul 8 9:21 pm

Behavior & Training > Multi-dog homes and aggression between dogs?

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:22pm PST 
Funny, I had NO preconceptions about Pitties, didn't even know that Sonny was really Pit, thought he was mostly Lab and "something" else, and didn't know that Kado was "Cattle Dog" at all. Had no earthly idea what she was, having never even seen a red heeler. So I had no idea that either breeds could have DA, had no idea about DA in certain breeds. Was just a very naive person about such things. They only thing I had heard about was bitch wars, one reason I would never have 2 bitches at once. And in general, I prefer male dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jan 24 10:54 am

Behavior & Training > Multi-dog homes and aggression between dogs?

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:27am PST 
I have had a problem with my bitch and one neutered male, oddly enough. Both dogs started as DA outside the house -- they had poor upbringings before I took them up and belong in part to DA breeds (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix and Pit Mix). With lots of socialization and other techniques they are now much better, especially the Cattle Dog mix bitch, and have dog friends. Both dogs began to show this DA behavior at maturity.

As for the behavior inside the house, the bitch will start by snarking and giving the eye to the dog, then attacking him. He will fight back, and he will not let go. They have had to have stitches. For a while, we crated and rotated. We have found that what works is any overexcitement requires crating the Cattle Dog. When some visitor comes to the door, she must be crated until she calms down -- about 15 minutes. When one of us comes home, the dogs must sit calmly before we enter the house from the mudroom. That has dispelled much of the energy. It seems that she is both "jealous" and redirects her excitement into aggression upon another dog.

She has never attacked a dog in public, despite being attacked.

We also verbally reprimand her with a "No eye!" when she gives us or the other dogs "the hard eye." Then she is timed out briefly in a covered crate. Oddly enough, she is calm much of the time, unless chasing something, such as sheep, is involved. So far we have had many fewer incidents in the house. That said, I would never, ever, bring another bitch in the house, even though she has bitch friends. Oddly enough, she abhors submissive dogs and prefers friends with some "spunk."

She is actually not really the "top dog" in the house, but the older Golden Retriever who raised her from 5 months is. (She was taken from her litter at 5 weeks and had awful owners before I got her.) She is second in command basically. I love this dog deeply, but really I would have rehomed her if my OH had allowed me to. Just the cause of too many problems, and it caused too much anxiety for me and for the other dog. Not fair to anyone or any dog.

When I brought a 4th dog, as a foster into the house, I had him dog tested by the shelter first. He passed with both aggressive and submissive dogs. I introduced him to each of my dogs off leash in the morning in my fenced backyard. I was sure he would fail with one of my somewhat DA dogs. Amazingly, the Pit mix male ignored him, basically, after a few sniffs. And my bitch likes him, playing a little with him, and sniffing and allowing sniffs in return. They didn't mind him sticking close to me -- he was quite timid having never been in a house and fearing men-- as long as they got their usual affection.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is my experience working with DA within a household. I wouldn't do it again, but I cope. And it actually worked out all right bringing another dog in, amazingly enough. But with dogs who tend to SSA, I would not bring a dog of the same gender in. I would especially avoid bitches of breeds who tend to SSA.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jan 24 10:54 am

Behavior & Training > Building (or rebuilding?) drive

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:23pm PST 
Since he's an ACD, I would think he would enjoy chasing and herding. Is it possible to interest him in chasing you? Also is it possible to introduce him to herding?

Good luck, sounds as if you are doing things correctly by building up slowly. Good advice from the other posters. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Dec 18 7:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Ecollars : An Intelligent Discussion
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:23am PST 
Guest, Kado is an Australian Cattle Dog mix. I own the sheep in question, and she does not kill them -- she is occasionally used to help round them up, but always on a long line. She needs herding training, but I haven't gotten around to it. I don't want her to generalize to sheep. Deer chasing is actually not a problem.

I'm wondering if I could use your protocol with a car. A cat is not available, actually. She will chase our car, and a friend's car, so we could use either, having the car slowly approach. Could the protocol be adapted in this way?thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 122 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Ecollars : An Intelligent Discussion

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 5:25pm PST 
I'd be very interested in learning how they are used in OB and SAR. I also have been thinking of a use for one, as I have a dog who is an inveterate chaser of cars, horses, bikes, etc. Fortunately at home she is managed with a fence. If she does escape, which happens rarely, she tends to run to the sheep pen, thank dog. Food does not help her recall. And I certainly can't Premack her with the sheep -- it's too stressful for them to be herded all the time. But I consider it so dangerous as to be potentially lethal and fear for her life. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 144 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Door Dashing This is getting dangerous(almost got hit by the Garbage truck)

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 12:39pm PST 
For safety, always leash at the door. Try working a sit-stay and rewarding for calm behavior quite a way behind the door. This calming down may take quite a bit of time. thinking Good luck, I know how dangerous this can be, had a door bolter myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kado, Nov 20 12:39 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > High Drive Dogs

Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 9:11pm PST 
Please read Zephyr's description of the Cattle Dog to your friend again. I have a Cattle Dog mix (did not know what she was when I rescued her as a puppy), and I doubt this a herder I would ever choose again. They are rough, tough, tend toward DA and snarkiness even toward other household dogs, have their own minds made up, will chase and herd ANYTHING ON EARTH, etc. Great agility dog but a Brittany is much sweeter, sensitive, less hard-headed. (Kado is sweet at times in her own snarky way, just don't dare let her fasten that evil eye on me!)
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Nov 5 12:05 am

Dog Health > ACLtear, surgery and major concern of re-injury
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 10:06am PST 
Kado has done great with her TTA, a newer and some think preferable, surgery. She is 2 1/2 years out, and a very active dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kado, Oct 26 10:06 am

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.