GO!

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Teenage Angst
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 7:21pm PST 
Happy hit the nail on the head... ride through it. They don't last forever... though the larger the breed the longer they tend to last.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 7:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Which Side?
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 9:10am PST 
Mali is trained to heel on both left and right side. I use the word “heel” for the left and “right side” for heeling on the right side. As of late she has mostly been on my right side as I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder.

Button is so far only learning left side, but will learn both sides as well, when
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 7 9:12 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How do you address your service dog

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 12:00pm PST 
Just recently I was in Walmart with Mali and we were walking in a large group of people, Mali has an affinity for infants. Across the crowd a baby started to cry, she lifted her head to try and see through the crowd and why the baby was crying. I told her to mind her business. A man we were passing got very angry with me because he was sure I had told him to mind his business. No amount of talking could sooth him so I told him sorry and walked off.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:41 am

Puppy Place > Sensitive Puppy Problems (long post)

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 6:23pm PST 
I agree with Hazel, take the pup to the vets. It is never my first choice but your pup sounds like she may need a little more help than others.

You said she was chewing on you cabinets… dogs chew for many reasons. One of those reasons is stress relief. When you leave her make sure to leave her things to chew. The kong may not be enough to last her all of the time she is there alone. If the crate is a place she can’t handle right now than don’t put her there. That was a good choice. In the mean time purchase bitter apple and spray it on the area she has been chewing to deter her from chewing that spot.

As far as training, I don’t know her age but some dogs mature a little slower that other dogs and take more time to click. Also, you need to work with her every day. If she is slow to mature keep your practice times short but make them more than once a day. Arrange with one friend to work with you, who will repeatedly come to the door. Put her in a sit stay or a down stay back away from the door while you answer the door and after your friend is in then invite her to meet them… try both and see what works best for her.

Do this over and over and every time she breaks start over, baby steps. You will need a good friend to do this with. It will take time, your friend might not make it in the door the first day you try it.

If I can be of any other help drop me a note.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 22 12:00 pm

Small Dogs > Does anyone have a big dog too?

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 8:16am PST 
I have three Shiloh Shepherd girls all about 100 pounds and a week ago brought home a 2 pound Papillion male pup. All of my girls are in heat or just going out of heat, they are in the process of being retired from breeding and through the next few months will all be spayed. Three are 5 and one is 3 years old.

The dominate girl is protective of the pup when it comes to my cats getting to rough with the puppy, she will bark or growl at the cats to keep their claws to themselves. One girl shows teeth at the pup but she increased the size of the puppy cave in our back yard. She does not know the puppy will never being going out there with them because of hawks.

Another girl thinks he is the best toy we ever brought home and loves to lie down and play with him and the last girl has decided he is her new puppy. When I do take him outside and into the puppy pen she does not leave his side. She noses him away from the fence line because snakes lurk there. While he plays the other dogs head off to the open area and this baby sitter dog as she always did with all of our other pups stays behind and watches this new pup right along with me. He always comes in covered with her slobber. At dinner time he steals from her food bowl, steals her snacks to the point I have to crate him or she will not eat at all.

My little boy squeezes beneath the baby gates, weaves in and out of their legs, licks their muzzles and begs their attention and then wiggles is tiny bottom the the middle of the best dog bed making whoever is there get up.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 12 6:11 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > The on going struggle of being an SD handler:
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:28am PST 
I hope Both you and Sadie get to go out soon, becareful on the ice.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 3:29 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > The on going struggle of being an SD handler:

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:28am PST 
I hope Both you and Sadie get to go out soon, becareful on the ice.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 3:29 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How do you address your service dog

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:09am PST 
I talk to Mali too, I say please and thank you, I even ask what she thinks of something when I am shopping. I don’t care what other people might think because I am talking to my dog. I am old and if they want to think I am eccentric or downright crazy that is fine with me, Mali knows what I am saying.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > At what age can a SD candidate become a service dog in training?

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 12:17pm PST 
Mali started the day she came home, 11 weeks old. I never had any other plans for her but to be my service dog. Everything I did with her was with that in mind. Doggie daycare For socialization with other dogs… puppy kindergarten… basic obedience… advance obedience… walks in the beside my wheelchair daily starting the day she came home, and when she had enough shots the daily walks became at the park. Walks down town, at the airport, adventures to as many different places before she was a year that I could come up with…very thing geared towards her becoming my service dog one day.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 5 12:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Saw another service dog today.....
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 12:11pm PST 
I agree, something was up with that dog. I am so happy nothing happened to your dog. So far I have been lucky nothing has happen when I have been out with Mali alone.

A couple of years ago my husband and I used to take the girls to a dog park, but only if there were no other dogs there at the time. If other dogs came we left. Since he works from home we most often went during the day. One day we were at the dog park and I was standing next to the fence when an older man and his wife went walking by with a Great Dane on a leash Mali was standing next to me. She always hates it when I don’t sit down. Suddenly the Dane lunged at the fence to attack Mali. My other 3 girls were only a couple of yards away.

Mali thought the dog was after me and through her body between me and the Dane keeping the fence between them. My husband grabbed my arm pulling me out of the way as my other 3 girls rushed in; it was like a freight train of noise. The older man and his wife pulled hard on the leash of the Dane snapping back hard on his pinch. Some other man came running from a nearby playground and helped. It turned out he was their son-in-law. He took the Dane away and the older man and his wife stayed to apologize.

I held onto Mali’s and Hera’s collar and Steve had Yuki and Rani’s collar. They explained how they had their Dane in training for dog aggression and had hoped they had beaten it. NOT! All I could think of is what if we had not been behind the chain link fence…!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 12:51 pm

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.