Postings by Ellie now at the Rainbow Bridg

GO!

Dog Health > My heart is breaking :o(

Ellie now at- the Rainbow- Bridg

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 6:36am PST 
hughughug

I am so sorry, take some Rescue Remedy, it will help you cope with the grief and you do have to grieve so you can heal.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Dunkin, Nov 4 3:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Sandy Update- Bad News :(

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:47pm PST 
hug We can only do so much, you have tried everything you could think of and what is more important, gave her love, lots and lots of love, that is so important to a dog.

I have taken several dogs from a pound in the hope I could bring them back to health, 2 I couldn't no matter what I did, one was so ill I had to let him go the following day, the other was covered in various types of lumps from very small to very large. In the 5 days he was with me he had 7 seizures so I had to let him go, like Sandy they were love and given the best possible then let go with love.

Sandy will always be with you, he has a special place in your heart for him that will always be there, he came to you for a reason, to find out what love was. Grieve for Sandy then have happy memories of her.

Ellie was one dog I could bring back to health even though it meant she had a tracheotomy in but she had 5 years of love and care, how I miss Ellie.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie now at the Rainbow Bridg, Oct 6 12:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Sandy Update- Bad News :(

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 10:38am PST 
hug I am so sorry, I used to have a dog that would kill a sheep if she got the chance, it was hard work with her when sheep was around making sure tht she didn't get the chance to get free. Not sure I could have coped with her if we had sheep on our land.

The biting of your mum Sandy was very aroused with the killing of the sheep, it is normal for a dog to attack someone who tries to stop them, that doesn't mean it is acceptable behaviour though.

Another of my dogs was terrible with other dogs, all she wanted to do was kill them, it took a lot of very hard work to turn her round.

I understand you being so upset, I would be as well but.....

You have to look at it from Sandy's point, to stop her attacking sheep again she will have to be confined in a very secure place, she will never be allowed off the lead at any time. Some dogs will adapt to this but many won't, will Sandy?

Sometimes we show our love of our dogs by letting them go because their lives are not going to be what they want, only you can decide that as you know Sandy, we don't.

hug
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Ellie now at the Rainbow Bridg, Oct 6 12:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Aggressive dogs during obedience class

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 8:15am PST 
Don't go back, just put it down to experience, you can do better on your own. It isn't dogs that need training classes it is the owners, they need to learn how to teach dogs and choke chains is a big Nonononono, they do so much damage to a dog's neck, trachea or larynx. Have a look at my little Ellie's story, I can't even put up on here that she is at the Rainbow Bridge, all this damage was done before she came to me.

Ellie's story: http://tracheotomy-in-dogs.yolasite.com/

I put her story on the net to help other owners who are going through the same think and it has helped many people. Even talking like this about her has brought tears.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 2 8:21 am

Dog Health > My little princess Ellie

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 4:39am PST 
Thank you for all your good thoughts, I am healing well but still coughing but at least I can breath now, never been able to do that properly before.

My throat is still sore were they operated, not sure what they did but that isn't as bad either. Bit fed up with mum wiping me down under my chin though, she says it is to keep me clean.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie now at the Rainbow Bridg, Jan 15 4:39 am

Dog Health > My little princess Ellie

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 5:21am PST 
On Monday, 5th January Ellie my Staffy, went in to have 2 lumps taken off, the operation went well and she had come round, then she started to struggle to breath. Her breathing was life threatening so one of the Consultants was sent for. I am lucky, my vets have quite a few consultants.

Adam put her under again to see what was wrong with her breathing, he found her voicebox badly swollen so put her on a drip to see if it would reduce, unfortunately it didn't so he had no choice but to do a temperary tracheotomy.

Wednesday Ellie was watched very carefully, she did struggle a couple of times but came round, they tried to cover the hole to see if she could breath on her own, she couldn't so another consultant, Joachim operated on her and shorterened her solf pallet which was so long it had damaged her voicebox so he had to do some repair work on that as well. They were then waiting until Friday to see if she was healing well enough to take the tracheotomy out.

Thursday the temporary tracheotomy started to cause problems so the decision was made to put a permanent one in, If the vet hadn't done this Ellie would have died. Although this is a permanent tracheotomy she could eventually heal enough for this to be taken out by my vets seem to think this won't happen.

Friday Ellie could breath properly, probably the first time in her life she could so was feeling fit and well. Ellie decided that she had been in the kennel long enough and started to destroy it so a bed was put in the coridor where the computers are, with a water bowl, a harness put on Ellie and she was attached to one of the tables. Ellie had a wonderful time, everyone was given lots of Staffy kisses and cuddles and the staff used to play with her as well.

Ellie continued to improve over the weekend and had a wonderful time with the staff, even the night staff were playing with her.

Monday morning Ellie had to be put back into her kennel because a lot of dogs were coming in for operations and were she was could have been dangerous to her but again she tried to destroy her kennel. It was before 8am when I had a phone call to ask me to go and pick her up as soon as possible, she had been put with the ladies who do the insurance claims and was quiet but couldn't stay there.

A week after she went in Ellie came home.

I was terrified, everytime she coughed I was there cleaning her up. She came up to bed with me, she had a lovely night's sleep, I couldn't sleep in case her coughing didn't wake me up.

Tuesday I took Ellie back to the vets for them to check, she mugged the vet and nurse because she was so pleased to see them, gave them lots of Staffy kisses and cuddles. The vet was really pleased with her progress over night.

Ellie can never wear a collar again, she can not have a bath or go swimming but she is able to breath better than she has ever been able to before. She has adapted very well, still coughing but that is supposed to go as well. Adel the vet has a pug with a tracheotomy in who is living a normal dog's life so was able to give me some tips as an owner not a vet.

It all happened so quickly I didn't have time to work out if I wanted to put her through this or not, it was a case of this being done or she died, I am very pleased that I did let them put a tracheotomy in Ellie, once she has recovered she won't have any more breathing problems.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ellie now at the Rainbow Bridg, Jan 15 4:39 am

Dog Health > Need Prayers...found a lump

Barked: Thu Dec 25, '08 8:34am PST 
Hugs Harley, hopefully it won't be much and easily sorted.

My mum found a lump on me and panicked as well, I came into the pound with 2 very large tumours which the vet had problems getting one off but fine now. Mum has already booked me into the vets to have this one removed and it is only small.

Our mums don't 'arf panic at times.blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sanford Hawley , Dec 29 1:19 pm

Dog Health > I have to have a lump off:(((

Barked: Sat Dec 20, '08 1:52am PST 
When I was picked up by the Dog Warden I had to massive tumours on me and I was in very poor condition. When my time was up in the pound some kind people took me on and took me to the vets who took these tumours off.

The following day I came here to my mum, 2 brothers and 3 sisters and have been very happy here although it was very scary at first.

Mum has discovered a lump that is growing, she took me to see our very kind Aunty Delorus and I am booked in to have the lump off on 5th January.

Thankfully it is only very small at the moment but mum is very worried in case it is another tumour but Aunty Delorus doesn't think so.

I am not a youngster, my age isn't known but expected to be about 11 years old which is also worrying mum.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mr. BoJangles, Dec 20 7:58 am

Behavior & Training > Adopted Dog Still Skittish With Son--It\'s Been 3 Months

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '08 4:41am PST 
He could remind her of her previous owner, she can recover from this but it will take patience from your son. She needs to change her outlook on him by learning to associate him with good things.

As he is walking past her, get him to drop a yummy treat on the floor in front of her, he can also feed her but at the moment, he shouldn't make any approaches to her or even eye contact.

Once she is associationing him as nice things happen, she will start to approach him, he will have to be careful when this happens by just accepting what she is offereing and not trying to push her into offering more.

It is important that your son goes at her pace but if he does, your dog will come round.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sunny, Nov 24 7:31 pm

Dog Health > kennel cough

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 4:48am PST 
I make up something for my dogs myself if they get kennel cough, it really does help them.

I get a liquirice root from a heath shop, break it into 3 or 4 pieces and put it in a jug. I add 1 pint of boiling water and leave it to steep for 10 minutes. I take the liquirice root out and put to one side to use again, add some honey and when cool, I give from a teaspoon to tablespoon to my dog about 4 to 6 times a day.

The amount I give depends on the size of my dog. A teaspoon is to my 10in high dog, a tablespoon for my Greyhound who is 28ins high.

There is nothing in this to do any harm, but it can help your dog a lot. My dogs all love it and drink from the spoon.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Budda-Adopted!, Nov 17 1:08 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.