GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Sports & Agility > The Big Weekend!
Kodamour OA- AXJ OF NAC- TN-N PD

I\\\\\\\'m all- about love.

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 3:54pm PST 
Kate, you'll be great out there. Never mind anyone outside the ring, just have a great time with your dog. In AKC as of last Fall you can get back on the teeter (one repeat) if your dog bails, or don't correct it and continue with the course. You can get a Refusal and still quality in Novice, so that may help as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 11 11:32 am

Sports & Agility > The Big Weekend!

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 5:43pm PST 
Sounds like a very successful start! Congratulations on having the courage to get out there the first time. I remember the butterflies with each my dogs on our first runs. blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 11 11:32 am

Sports & Agility > Agility Foundation Work

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 8:27pm PST 
Starting with a foundation training class is the first place to begin agility classes. It's the most important, because the focus drills and beginning teamwork are learned there (like basic obedience). If you are looking for a club, look on Clean Run website to search for locations near you.

The beginner's book that we give four paws to is: Building Blocks for Performance: Give Your Puppy a Head Start for Competition by Bobbie Anderson and Tracy Libby which can be purchased on clean run.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 12:46 pm

Dog Health > Torn carpal pad

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 7:21pm PST 
Correction, I think Koda did have a small bit still on there and did use it cover the fresh skin cells underneath.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 8:25 pm

Dog Health > Torn carpal pad

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 6:28pm PST 
Koda cut/sliced his carpal pad several months ago and I took him to the vet. He didn't have a piece still on there, but, if it were me I'd let the piece stay on to allow the skin underneath to heal better and it may heal back on top of it (like I would do if I had a cut on my hand or such).

The vet use a solution of 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate to clean the wound, added some antiobiotic creme (I later used neosporin with pain relief), wrapped in cotton (like the 2"cotton wrap at drugstores) and then used gauze tape on it to keep it all in place. I had to redress and replace it just about every day since he would get it dirty, wet or it sometimes slipped down his leg. I held him back from agility class and didn't walk him for a little so the cut would have a chance to heal and the skin would have less chance of pulling apart.

I think we had some antibiotic caplets too as a precaution. You could get those from the vet or watch it closely to make sure it's not showing signs of infection, like oozing yellow... or just oozing. It would be a good idea call the vet to see if there is something else they recommend.

Koda's leg wrap was ~ 4 to 6 inches long. Make sure it's stretchable, breathable gauze (J&J and Curad sell rolled gauze that stretches for comfort) and place the cotton wrap underneath so the gauze cannot stick on the wound. Don't use electrical tape or packing tape for a wrap or it will tear out the fur when you remove it.

Hugs for a quick recovery.hug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 8:25 pm

Sports & Agility > Hydration questions

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 4:29pm PST 
Good question Dexter. I live in the desert and even in the winter (our cooler time) I carry water in a bottle around my neck (about 20 oz or so) for my 2 dogs. Now that our mornings are closer to 80's, I often carry a backpack and bring at least an extra bottle, offering the water a couple times during the walk. Sometimes they want it and other times they pass. We walk about an hour and 15 minutes and keep a good pace (3-4 mile walks or hike). I also use CoolCoats from CleanRun that I wet down when I stop to give them a drink. For that I need to carry large 64 oz plastic bottles that I refill with water each time and tote in the backpack.

The humidity can get to the dogs in FL, so it's great to have the water on hand.

Have fun and enjoy your weekend. snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 30 5:02 pm

Sports & Agility > bike attachement

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 4:13pm PST 
There was a recent discussion on bike attachments: biking

I have the double Springer and it seems good thus far. I did notice adjusting for different dog heights is not ideal. I may make the nylon-type attachment a bit longer so it will work for either dog. The company sells an adapter that I haven't purchased yet. The Springer assembly initially slid down the stem where I had it mounted and I had to add shims (included with the kit) to make it more secure. Overall I'm happy and will post if I find different after using it more. I'm reconditioning my bike before taking it on the trails. Buy from Springer direct (their US dealer) for the best price in USA, lower than I found on Amazon.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 8:13 am

Sports & Agility > Nosework boxes

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 2:06pm PST 
I saved some boxes with flaps that I got from Amazon shipments and such. Any box would work that opens and any size too. Some boxes don't have to have the 4 flaps, but the one you want them to 'nose' into should so it's easier to set up. Try the local post office or grocery store. Maybe your neighbors would save shipping boxes they get too so you have some in reserve.

Koda and Lily both love finding the scents. Have fun with Noseworks blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 30 9:52 am

Sports & Agility > Anyone have this problem?

Barked: Fri May 14, '10 11:31am PST 
Phoebie, having speed is a great gift. Timing of the cues is a key part to working together as a team. Sometimes you give a cue for a tunnel a couple of jumps in advance if the dog understands to take any obstacle in their path and the tunnel is in their line of sight. The cues need to be given in advance with time for the dog to react and earlier for a faster dog.

Have you take some group agility classes? Ask the teacher to watch you and give feedback on timing of the cues (verbal and non-verbal).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 14 11:31 am

Sports & Agility > AKC Agility Titles--Newbie Question...

Barked: Fri May 14, '10 11:23am PST 
Try this link: akc move-ups, in the Teal Insert page 20 of 123.
Look for this header: Regulations for Agility Trials
Effective June 1, 2010
This insert is issued as a supplement to the
Regulations for Agility Trials amended to
September 1, 2006
Chapter 1 Section 19. Move-ups.

If I read it right if the show closes after you earned your Novice A title you don't have to move up, but if you earned your Novice A title before the show closed the dog must move to Novice B.

Move-ups are usually allowed by email to the trial secretary up to a week before the show.

Congratulations on your consistency. way to go It's not a no brainer to Q, even if it is forgiving at the Novice level (just ask Koda). Way to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 16 3:32 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.