Postings by Alucard

GO!

Irish Setter > Advice on the Irish Setter breed

Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Wed Oct 28, '09 6:13pm PST 
Irish Setters are, very often, puppies for life. They are hunting dogs so they have a pretty good prey-drive, love to learn new things, are very smart, easy to train BUT you must KEEP AT IT forever. I have two Irish Setters and they are smart as can be, they still remember tricks I taught them when they were puppies (one called "ferret" where they gently put both paws on my tummy, which I haven't had them perform for years). The problem is they are VERY HIGH ENERGY and need to have something to burn this off, then something to focus their brains on.

Hunting with them is a good idea, I have one (Alucard) who is a born and bred hunter, and sadly we don't hunt, so he brings things home for us. Game birds, small animals, always alive and usually they are fine, I bring them to a rehab center and they are released when deemed healthy.

If you are looking to get one, do your research on them and try to get one from a rescue if you can, www.petfinder.com is a great one. We are considering rehoming Alucard because we know how much happier he would be with a hunting family, but only to just the right people. He is our baby, after all.

Also remember, there is a difference between the "Bench" variety and the "field" variety, both in temper and in look. They are almost two different breeds. The field dogs, like we have, are just what their name implies, field or common dogs. Bench dogs are basically show dogs, longer fur, deeper color, larger frame, mellower attitude, higher price, usually. I don't know as much about bench dogs as I do our field boys aside from what they look like. I've never met one.

Hope that helps, and if you don't mind let me know why you're asking. I can give you more specific information if you ask specific questions, as like I said I have two and my mum has had them for years.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alucard, Oct 28 6:13 pm

Behavior & Training > So this dog ripped Laila's collar during a fight... Little Rant...
Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Wed Oct 28, '09 5:56pm PST 
O_o If you know something makes your dog agressive.... why would you do it in a public location where your VERY LARGE dog could possibly hurt/kill someone's innocent dog? Call me spiteful but if it were me and I ever saw her again I would let her know all about the collar and how glad I was that it hadn't been my dog's neck. But that's just me, I try to be forgiving but... not always.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Holly, Oct 29 6:29 pm

Sports & Agility > Bird Hunters?

Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 6:05pm PST 
Even late help is helpful help! I'm so glad you posted!Yeah, that is right in my backyard, they do those dog trials in the field behind my house! Our land backs right up to theirs, and some of the Kelly's land is "ours" in that it's swampy and useless, and our pond has a small corner that is "theirs" legally, but on our side of the fence. Their cows come to visit a lot. party
I will be going on that site this weekend when I have time to really look, and will try to get in! big grin big grin big grin big grin Could you just do me a favor and answer a couple of questions quick?
About how much does it cost?
Do you supply your own equipment, or is it provided/rented?
How do they go about assisting you in training?

Thanks again so much! Hopefully I will see you there in the near future!
(I have NO time right now to look, I was lucky to get this post up, so sorry if those questions are answered on the site)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alucard, Oct 23 6:05 pm

Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 4:45pm PST 
No insults here, don't worry. Just been running around chasing my tail too much to get online! party And thanks again, I am just trying to find the best outlet for him. It's funny, his older brother Quincy has zero hunting drive, though he does enjoy simple games of fetch. They have different mothers but the same dad, so I'm sure Al's mother passed on her top-notch hunting abilities on to her son.

I've only just started scratching the surface of the hunting idea, but now that you got me on the thought of getting a mentor, I am moving in a different direction, mentally. Al and Quincy are fixed, in fact they had it done so early they never developed fully in that area. I know it's an Irish Setter thing to roam, they are dogs that like to explore, but the way things are today, it's just too dangerous. He has a bright red collar, and I have to replace his ID tag monthly because he loses it in the woods, but I do try to keep one on him. I will look for an orange one for him and his brother though.

Yeah, I live in Hugo with Alucard Quincy and Taji, but Nikki lives with my mom in North Branch, and I visit there a lot. Buddy is from somewhere between Stacy and Isanti. All of these places are a fair ways north of the Twin Cities, I'd like to keep a rather short driving trip if I had to travel. I know Carlos Avery(Sp?) is nearby in the Wyoming area, and that's supposed to be some sort of hunting reserve. We also have people who hunt with dogs in the cow field behind our house, but I don't know anything about them. There's a place called Wild Wings Game Farm just a skip away, I don't know if they accept dogs or not, but it might be a place to find someone to help. I am going to try to get the word out to at least the cow farm and Wild Wings, and I'll also look around and see who else is in the area. I'm in what you'd call the sticks, so there's quite a bit of that kind of thing. I'm just worried that since it's such an ideal location, the prices for membership, if they have any, will be sky high.

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions, I think the ball is really going to start moving now.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Alucard, Oct 23 6:05 pm

Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 10:50am PST 
Well howdy there! Thanks so much for your very well thought out response! That was so kind of you! And thanks also for saying I'm handsome. You're quite a lovely gal yourself, Sadie. big grin

Alucard has always been a born hunter, he's "frogged" since he was about 8 months old, but lately he's started doing EVERYTHING he can to get out of the fence we have up, (and sadly, he's managed). He's brought a bird home before and gone after a few others, so yes he's always shown he wanted to hunt, but his behavior is becoming more and more geared toward birding. We have tried everything to keep him in the fence, but he somehow finds any tiny spot to jump/climb/break/sneak out. There is mostly a lot of fields behind our house, but there are cows in them, and when there are no cows they use the area for hunting, so we are afraid he might get mistaken for a deer or some other animal and get hurt. Not to mention it's no fun waiting up until 9pm for him to come home when he's been gone all day. No neighbors have complained, as there are few around, but it's still not right to have a dog running around loose like he is. I thought if he was allowed to hunt he would be able to burn off his energy in a positive way that benifits him and another human.

However your idea of getting a mentor hunter to teach ME to hunt does appeal to me. I just don't know if I would have the time to go out and do that with him often enough. (Plus I don't know what I would do with the birds if I did manage to shoot any) I work 40 hours a week, and am going to go to college very soon, so most of my weekend time is spent getting ready for that. I also do not own a gun, I've never used one before, I don't know how much they cost or what type I would need. I really want to avoid spending too much since I'm trying to build up my savings for when I'm in school again. I want Alucard to be happy, and most importantly safe, and I was just looking at different type of solution to the problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Alucard, Oct 23 6:05 pm

Alucard

Master Of Escape

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '08 5:39pm PST 
Hello! Alucard here, and I had a question for the bird hunters in the community. Is there anyone who could make use of an Irish Setter with awesome drive to hunt, no formal hunting training, and way too much energy? I'm NOT looking for a new home, but my human mom thinks I have a lot of hunting ability, and if it could be molded a little I would turn into a great hunter, just like my dog mommy.

She says the ideal thing would be for a local person who has dogs they cannot use but wants a hunting dog to train me up for their needs, then bring me along on hunting trips. No money paid either way, as it's hoped both parties benifit. I get to do what I want to do SOOOO bad, and a hunter gets a companion they can use when they need, but does not have to adopt a dog of their own and care for it full time.

So if anyone likes the sound of this idea, give a shout! You can reply to this or send a message, but messages will most likely be seen sooner.

Also, we know about all those cruel people who steal hunting dogs around this time of year, use them, then dump them. That is so awful, but human mom promises she will do everything she can to make sure no mean people get me. So anyone looking for a dog they can take out ASAP shouldn't expect that here. You need to come meet me, I have to decide I like you, and of course you have to teach me what you want from me as your hunting companion.

Thanks so much for taking a sniff! Here's pointing at you!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Alucard, Oct 23 6:05 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.