Postings by Meepster (Meep Meep)

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Small Dogs > Can boy dogs wear a little bit of Pink?
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:26pm PST 
Thor, I'm coming up with Pi.

Maybe that's because I don't have a cell phone nor do I wear flip flops and sandals.

Either way, Meepster says Pi sounds good. I don't think he realizes that pi and pie are different. thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Samson, Dec 11 6:46 am

Small Dogs > Can boy dogs wear a little bit of Pink?
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 11:04am PST 
Meepster thinks so

Honestly. He's a dog. It doesn't matter. Even if he was a human, I still don't see why it would matter. All these colors being gender specific is a human invented idea.

shrug

ETA: Saw that you got it. happy dance The picture link isn't working, though. frown

As an interesting note, we have another pink dress (not the one in the picture above) that Meepster loves wearing. I guess he likes the fabric? Or maybe just the attention he gets when people laugh at him prancing? Either way, when I pull it out of the dog clothes closet, he runs up to me, shoves his muzzle into it until I put it on him. When he's wearing it, he will prance across the house wagging his tail. So, I'd wager that Meepster doesn't care about wearing pink. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Samson, Dec 11 6:46 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Shelties and "there intelligents"

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 8:08pm PST 
Did the Shelties type that? In which case, it is pretty impressive. Spelling is very intelligent, coming from a Sheltie. thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Sep 1 6:07 pm

Puppy Place > Does anyone else's Dog/Puppy do this?

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 10:01pm PST 
Whenever Meepster gets the "zoomies" (specifically when he gets excited after we return home from being gone for hours), he has to have a toy in his mouth. He'll pick up the closest one and run around the house, wagging his tail. It's adorable.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ezti, Aug 7 9:27 am

Dog Health > Scared to have my dog spayed :(

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 1:25pm PST 
Honestly, I think certain statistics regarding the benefits of spaying dogs are exaggerated by organizations that encourage spaying/neutering. Most of the time when I see references to such benefits, the link takes me directly to one of those organizations websites. That is not to say, however, that there are not benefits. Because there certainly are!

Spaying/neutering is the owners decision. Whichever way you do it, as long as you make sure you don't add any puppies to the growing population of dogs, I don't see why it will be a problem. I have known people to have unaltered dogs for the lifespan of the dog and never have one litter. Not one. Not even. The key is being vigilant. Know when your dog is about to start her "cycle" and keep a close eye on her. Don't let her outside without you (not even if it's "just in the yard" because some males can get through fences). Don't let her interact with intact males (even if you're watching... because it can happen in the blink of an eye). Having an intact dog is a huge responsibility. For this reason, many people find spaying/neutering the better option.

If you're worried about her being under, talk to your vet. He may be able to ease your concerns. If you're worried about leaving her at the vet, leave a blanket or one of your shirts with her. We did this with Meepster and the vet tech told us that while he was in his kennel, all he did was cuddle to his blanket.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Penny, Jun 9 4:13 am

Grooming > Why does Bunny shed so little?
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 11:41am PST 
Stop jinxing it!

Honestly, if I were you, I'd count my blessings! Meepster blows his coat. Every Summer, he starts dropping hair from his butt and his butt begins looking naked! Cinnamon was a coat blower, too. And Sandy... if she gets a hold of even ONE thing that upsets her allergies, she sheds everywhere!

Nutrition and health play just as large a role as breed does. Though, I've known some very healthy dogs on great diets that blow their coats. So, count your blessings. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Buddy Doughnut *CGC*ESA*, Jun 2 7:20 am

Puppy Place > Boy Pups

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Tue May 24, '11 4:37pm PST 
Meepster was a squater until about 5-6 months old. My memory is a bit choppy, so I could be a few months off... but I do recall him squatting for a big chunk of the beginning of his life. Some boy pups never do learn to cock their leg. There is nothing wrong with this! It doesn't mean there's something wrong with them (mentally or otherwise). My boy, Chance, squatted until the day he died at a tender 10 or 11 years old. (and he was unaltered!!)

We neutered Meepster at 6 months and that's also around the time he began lifting. The first time I can recall, I think he did it because squatting was uncomfortable. (Due to the surgery and the stitches.) Since then, he's been lifting his leg.

Marking behavior is common in boy and female dogs but can easily be managed. It can be more gross with boys, though, because they lift their leg to pee and mark whereas girl dogs (usually) squat. (Though my dog, Lilo, lifts to mark.) Meepster has never really been much of a marker, though. We had a few problems with him marking, but not many at all. Marking behavior varies between dogs. The fact that all boy dogs mark a lot is a myth. If your dog does become a marker, the Behavior and Training forums here always give great advice for it! Much better than the advice I can give for it.

And humping isn't a problem with our Meepster at all. In fact, we have to worry more about the females humping!! (Once, when Cinnamon was still with us, she actually humped Meepster! She was much bigger than him... poor boy looked so traumatized. eek ) So, your pup may or may not develop humping behaviors. It's also important to note that there are various reasons for humping. Some dogs hump when they're nervous (Chance was a nervous humper, Sandy is, too), some do when they're excited, some people believe it may be linked to dominance (though, there is debate about that), and then there's the obvious reason for humping. The best way to handle humping, though, is to find the root of it.

Good luck with your pup and congrats. He is very adorable.

(Edited for grammar red face )
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bingley, Emmett & Martika, Jun 3 3:33 pm

Chihuahua > Merle Chihuahua

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 11:57pm PST 
I can't explain the merle gene in large detail like some people can, but since this thread hasn't been replied to as of yet, I figured I'd give it a try.

Where to start... where to start...

First, I must admit, I'm curious as to why you'd want to breed Lola, anyway? I'm not here to judge, I'm just honestly curious.

Next, onto the merle gene. You should not breed two merles together, as you stated. The reason being that breeding a carrier of the merle gene to another carrier of the merle gene can produce double merles. These dogs can often be deaf or blind and/or carry a variety of other health problems. Sometimes, you have a dog that carries the merle gene but does not appear to at all. An inexperienced breeder will think this means that the dog is not merle, however, the dog is considered merle by an experienced breeder and the KC. Take for example, Cinnamon was a carrier of the merle gene although she only had markings on her face and her ears. (Masks) She passed the merle gene on, though, even though she wasn't completely merle like Meepster is. (Sakura has merle markings on her underbelly, her face, ears (also a mask), and her tail.) There are diluted merles that are hard to tell they are even merles! Of course, merle dogs won't have all merle puppies. They can have puppies of other colors, as well.

Breeding carriers of the merle gene, though, is risky business if you don't know much about the gene. I recommend starting here:
http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/merle.htm

If your dogs mothers papers don't specifically say she was merle, it's likely that she isn't. If they do say she's merle, though, she might be diluted or have markings that are barely noticeable.

ETA: By CKC do you mean Continental or Canadian?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Meepster (Meep Meep), May 3 11:57 pm

Puppy Place > my chihuahua puppy\'s ears fold backwards

Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 10:53pm PST 
It's definitely normal. And it makes me smile in nostalgia seeing this thread because Meepster's ears folded backward when he was a puppy. We called them rose buds. All the ladies at the vet office loved those ears. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Apr 28 8:25 pm

Behavior & Training > What is your dog\'s strangest quirk(s)?
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 3:38pm PST 
I think of all our dogs, Meepster has the strangest quirks. He's really lived up to having a strange name... by being a strange dog.

He's talkative, too. He has this sound he often makes. I'm not sure HOW I would even BEGIN to describe it. I'm wanting to say kind of like a "bay", but not exactly. Because I've heard dogs bay, and it's not exactly what comes out of Meepster. I'd say it's between a yawn, a bay, and a howl. He tends to make the sound mostly when he wants attention, but will make it when he's content, as well. We've taken to calling it "talking", because it really starts to sound like that's what he's trying to do. As if he's using as many vocal cords as he possibly can at one time just to get our attention. laugh out loud

He also has this quirk about him... that whenever you give him a biscuit- and ONLY a biscuit, he does it for no other type of treat- he insists on prancing off with it (and by prancing, I do mean prancing laugh out loud ) before he eats it. Then there's the one where he crawls on my shoulder whenever I hold him. I think I, unknowingly, taught him how to do it when he was a puppy and I would let him rest on my shoulder. He carried it into adulthood. He only does it to me (thank goodness, because my mom has back problems and probably couldn't handle 20 pounds on her shoulder), but he still does it. Half his body will be over my shoulder, the other half in my arms holding him as tight as I can. Oh, he's one of those dogs that gets "frog butt" when he lays on his stomach. In recent days, he seems to have picked Cinnamon's old quirk up. It kind of tears me up at times, but it's cute. She used to play peekaboo on her own. Know how you can teach a dog to play peekaboo, teaching them to poke their head between your legs? Cinnamon did that on her own, and now Meepster has been doing it. If I continued listing Meepster's quirks, I could go on all day, so I'll stop there. laugh out loud

Precious gives too many kisses. I'm convinced it's a quirk. Whenever you hold her she wants to give you attention. Not the other way around. She hates being kissed and petted. She would rather be the one kissing.

Sakura, bless her, doesn't have many quirks at all.

Sandy is a hermit. I think that's a quirk. I'm fairly certain it is. laugh out loud She's very pawsy. She insists on using her paws as her means of communication. I've learned to deal with it. Instead of showering me with kisses like Precious does, she paws at me. She's also very vocal. Except with growls. She has a growl for everything. In the beginning, it worried me. But over the years, I've learned many of them (if not most of them) aren't aggressive at all. But, rather, pleasant in nature. laugh out loud

ETA: I don't know how I managed to skip over Lilo. But I think her biggest quirk is the way she'll randomly get the zoomies at the most odd times. And when she does, she'll run in circles. Over. And over. And over again. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 51 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Mar 15 5:40 am

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.