Postings by KIYA

GO!

Rhodesian Ridgeback > What do you eat?

KIYA

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 7:48am PST 
I guess I'm the only one who eats Science Diet? My mom mixes the Adult Large Breed Dry with the Adult Nature's Best Chicken and Brown Rice dry. I love it and eat 3 cups a day- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mom also does this to keep a small amount of food in me so if I run have a less chance of getting bloat which shes says could kill me if I couldn't get to a vet fast enough frown

Mom is lucky to be able to get science diet for free since her friend is in vet school and can get ANY bag of SD for $5 !
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Arlo, Aug 1 7:39 am

Rhodesian Ridgeback > kennel training? Good or bad??
KIYA

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 7:15am PST 
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a kennel. Actually it is a lot safer especially for those of us with Ridgebacks who are notorious for their strength, power and ability to get into EVERYTHING!!! The only thing is to monitor the time the dog is left. You should try to get a noonish walk in to give them a potty break because 8-5pm is waaayy too long to be in a kennel. If you cant make it home try to find a dog walker. Also be careful with the toys you leave in the kennel. I actually dont leave any because my Ridgeback, like many, is a destroyer and all I need is to come home and find her choking on her toys! (Ive also heard of a Ridgeback swallowing a whole towel and had to get it surgically removed by the vet! dont underestimate them!!)Try not to leave water in the kennel, the dog will drink it and have to pee, decreasing the time you can leave the dog in the kennel- just be sure to have water available at all times when the dog is not in the kennel-
The good news for us is that Ridgebacks- unlike labs and other sporting/herding breeds-have a calmness/lazy side built in meaning they looove to lounge around! You don't have to worry about your Ridge while you are gone as they are probably sleeping. Just make sure to give them time to run at least daily and you'll be good to go!
--on a side note, try to give a little treat every time your dog gets into the kennel to make it a positive experience. I do and now every time my Ridge sees me packing my stuff up she runs to the kennel and begins to drool!!! Best of luck
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by KIYA, Sep 25 7:15 am

Rhodesian Ridgeback > Do ridgeback mixes have to have the ridge?

KIYA

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:43pm PST 
Ruby could very well be a Ridgeback mix. Purebred Ridgebacks are born with a ridge, no exceptions. If she is a mixed breed, that would make perfect sense as to why she seems Ridgeback-like even tho she doesn't have their trademark ridge. I actually have a friend who we believe has a boxer/ridgeback mix. This dog has no ridge on her back but has a small ridge on her neck! Mixed breeds have totally different genes, so getting the ridge and getting the ridge in the correct location are characteristics that are very hard to predict.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Indy, Nov 23 8:08 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.