GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Dog Health > Diagnosed with Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia
Desi Ray

I hear a- noise...what's- Desi into now?

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 5:58am PST 
Thank you everyone for your continued thoughts and support, and especially Mica for all you're doing for this horrible, horrible disease. I miss him already, and so do the other dogs (I can tell) but I do know that he is watching us from heaven with a toy in his mouth and cocking that cute head of his to let me know that he loves me....he really did love me unconditionally.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:08pm PST 
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for Desi. Today was a rough day.....Desi was not getting better, so we were going to the vet (most likely to put him to sleep forever). We were suppose to go Thursday, but changed it to today. On the way to the vets office, Desi passed away and went to the rainbow bridge. He was riding next to me wrapped in his blanket. It was very, very sad but now I know he is not suffering. I will miss my angel Desi Ray! little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 7:36am PST 
Thanks all of you for your care and concern about Desi. It is really appreciated. I went yesterday (Monday) to see Desi and talk to the vet. He was not any better. I discussed euthanization, but the vet did not want to do it at this time. So, I took Desi home with 5 meds. and a liquid vitamin. He will go back to the vet on Thursday for another blood test and we will determine what to do from there. Now that he is home, I really wish I would have insisted on sending him to the rainbow bridge. I know it sounds bad, but he is NOT good nor is he getting better. He barely eats, barely can walk..only a few steps at a time, so he has to be carried, he has a horrible bruise on his chest area from the meds he's taking (causes easy bruising), and also from the meds has a very bloated, sagging stomach appearance. It is not a quality life and very hard to watch. If anyone (me or the vet) knew he would recover, then I would not even consider euthanization but the vet says 50-50 at best and really doesn't know. It seems to me that by Thurs. (it'll be a little over a week) if he's not gonna get better then I would want to end his suffering. You can see it in his eyes. It's very hard for me cry. Part of me thinks I'm being hasty and should not think about it, but how long should his suffering go on? I also don't think it would be fair to keep him in pain just to "see what might happen". I would miss him, but I think it might be for the best. Only God know. But sometimes you have to be brave and do the right thing. I keep everyone posted. Again, thanks for your thoughts.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 5:45pm PST 
Thanks Bama! Desi did not come home today as thought. I visited him in the hospital and to me he didn't look any better. They did take another blood test today and his PCV was 14.5%....still not good and about the same as when he went in Thursday. He liked seeing me and ate a little wet food from my hand. He is not doing well. His vet wasn't in today (I knew this already), but he is in tomorrow. We will decide what to do then. Most likely, Desi will be sent to the rainbow bridge cry. Please pray for him and us. Thank you all.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 6:11am PST 
Thanks you both DarlaMae and Ellie. I will be reading the info. you gave me DarlaMae. It is a terrible disease to be sure. I know it's not catching or anything, but I'm not worrying about my other 3 dogs...and watching them like a hawk. It just tears you up cry
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 3:52pm PST 
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts Scooter! Desi is still in the hospital. He is eating and drinking and a little more active. His blood levels improved a little yesterday only to go back down to where they were today. I think he will come home tomorrow for a couple of days, but his blood will be retested two days after that. I really don't know if he'll survive this yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Desi Ray

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 5:24pm PST 
I received some sad news today. Desi Ray, my 8 year old Poodle/Shih-Tzu mix was diagnosed with AIHA. He is in the hospital as I write this. It all seems so surreal. Two days ago, he was fine. Then he became lethargic and I knew something was wrong when he wouldn't eat his joint soft chew. But then, just as quick, he'd seem normal. I kept an eye on him. I finally decided to take him to the vet today. The diagnosis was made. Desi has been a dog that has "cheated" the grim ripper a few times. He had an acute Pancreatitis attack about a year or two ago. He is always eating stuff he shouldn't, like socks, undies, towels, paper, plastic things, bugs, the list goes on. We've been lucky he has had no obstruction. He also has bilateral rear luxating patellas that we've kept surgery free with joint supplements. But it looks like we've drawn the unlucky straw at last. Please keep Desi and his family in your prayers. It's a sad, sad time for us.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 7:48 am

Small Dogs > Any Shih Poo's here????

Desi Ray

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 7:42am PST 
Desi is my Shih-Poo. He actually weighs in at 28 lbs! All of the Shih-Poos the lady had that looked like Poodles were at least that size or up to 35 lbs! She had one that looked like a Shihtzu and he was way smaller. In fact, we went to view and adopt the smaller one, but the kids liked Desi better. And at the time, I'll admit I didn't know a thing about dogs. Desi is 8 years old. He was neutered at about 15 weeks old (by the vets advice) and has never lifted his leg or marked. I do like that about him. He is my only male. He is very smart, loves our family and is "in love" with one of my Cavaliers, but he tends not to like anyone else. Oh....he does love his groomer, but she's been grooming him his whole life and at first she had to muzzle him. Now he runs to her for petting. He is also my "problem" dog lol. He has to be kept busy or he will get into the trash. He is also OCD...has to always have his toys or a toy in his mouth. He eats socks, dish towels, undies, paper towels, etc. if you don't watch him. Desi also has some allergies that I have to contend with, although they didn't develop until he was about 4-5 years old. He has been obedience trained and is very good at the commands. He also has bilateral luxating patellas that we've kept functioning without surgery using supplements. Desi is a dog that I should have never adopted, but I do love him anyway. One thing's for sure....he's taught me a lot about dog parenting!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 24 3:44 pm

Dog Health > Looking for good glucosamine supplements =]

Desi Ray

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 6:23pm PST 
I've used Glucosamine supplements for the last 8 years for Desi (who's 8 LOL!) because he has bilateral rear luxating patellas he was born with. He hasn't had surgery (yet..and I hope we can avoid that, but IDK). Anyway, the ones that have worked for Desi the best so far are:

Springtime Inc. Joint Health Chews
Naturvet Arthrisoothe Gold

and I've just ordered some Joint Max Triple Soft Chews to try. I like the "treat" aspect of those, but it really doesn't matter because Desi will take anything as a treat haha.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 6:23 pm

Dog Health > Patellar Luxation :(
Desi Ray

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 6:24am PST 
My Shih-Poo, Desi Ray, has both rear luxating patellas. They are at least grade 3. I adopted him when he was 12 weeks old. He has had this condition since birth (poorly bred "mutt"). I love him dearly! My first dog, Lucy Mae, was adopted from a shelter. I got Desi from a BYB! I didn't know much of anything about dogs at the time and I really should've "run for the hills" but alas I got Desi. Since I have learned about dogs this breeder has been shut down..YAY! Btw, on a good note about Desi, he is the only one of my four dogs that has never needed a dental! Desi will be in the family until he passes, of course, but I sure wish I was educated back then. Just so glad I know better now. Anyway, he has been on some kind of glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement all his life. I also feed the best kibble I can along with can food and a good vit/min whole food supp. plus fish oil. He has done fine for this long without surgery (he will be 8 years old this May). The vet keeps an eye on him, of course. He doesn't get all that much exercise, but does play in the house with the other dogs alot. He goes up and down steps well, jumps up on the couch fine, but I put a stop to jumping up on the bed. He will jump off the bed (much to my dismay) when I'm not looking. He will be on this supplement regimen his whole life.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:57 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.