Postings by Bo

GO!

(Page 1 of 149: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Very, very serious situation
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 3:35pm PST 
Oh hug I am so so sorry. My heart aches for you. I have always thought so highly of you and your relationship with Mickey. If you need anything please dont hesitate to ask. You are in my heart and thoughts.
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Jan 3 8:07 am

Behavior & Training > Fearful dog
Bo

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 9:24am PST 
What Asher said..Can I also recommend the book Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown.
A little over two weeks ago we adopted Doobie a two year od fearful Mastiff. She took to my daughter and I instantly. Derek, my hubby was not her favorite right away. I have to commend him. He re read that book. Did NOT take it personal. He understands that dogs have fears and while they may seem irrational to us. To them they are very real. He takes time every day to show her how gentle he is. He does not force it in any way. Her favorite food is cheese. So only Derek and our teenage son give her this treat. I do all the yucky stuff. Grooming, cleaning ears, etc.
She went from hiding under my desk when he approached to seeking him out. She still does not like men to sneak up on her but who does smile It is a work in progress but a very manageable one.
Good luck and what a cutie.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tater, Feb 25 8:10 am

Raw Food Diet > New rescue not eating

Bo

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 9:43am PST 
Aw he seems so happy in his new home smile I love it.

It is hard to transition from a shelter environment to a new stable home. It is so chaotic in that environment. When I volunteer I often do the feedings. Some scarf it right up others are not sure what to do even with kibble. Speaking of kibble it is crack for dogs. Super yummy snack food .lol. I wouldn't worry about that. Since he is eating treats he is technically not starving. Dogs will not starve themselves but they sure know their own limit. Our Annie was famous fro it. We went round and round in the food department.
Have you tried ground chicken ? What about topping the chicken with cheese or garlic powder. I have even stuffed the skin before with something I knew they loved. Have you tried holding it while he eats ? I would even try cutting it up into more manageable portions for him.
If you think it's really the chicken causing the issues. Then tomorrow when you feed him offer him beef. Nothing else. No treats. Nothing. I know that is hard wink
He does seem so happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Cooper, Feb 27 6:08 pm

Raw Food Diet > New rescue not eating

Bo

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 3:37pm PST 
First off congratulations and welcome cloud 9
Second, I agree with Triggers post. There is way to much going on there. I would go back to basics.
We rescued a two year old girl a little over two weeks ago. She was on grocery store kibble all her life. We picked her up o Sunday morning. Spent the day letting her acclimate herself to her new environment and us. I gave her a chicken quarter on Sunday night to test the waters. She devoured it. So I gave her one more. The next morning she was put on our feeding schedule of once a day. She was a little unsure of the chicken the next day so I seared it for 5 seconds on one side. It can be overwhelming for them to eat "real" food. I sat with her on the blanket ( she is being trained to eat in one spot) and helped her through it. Two weeks later she is still ONLY eating chicken quarters. So far she is doing great. Tomorrow she moves on to a new protein source.
To me I think the best way to start any dog on raw is like weaning a puppy on to it. Nice and slow. If there is to much variety their system is going to go into a tailspin.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Cooper, Feb 27 6:08 pm

Behavior & Training > pinch collar on an 8 week old puppy?

Bo

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 3:37pm PST 
Ugh, I am sorry but that is just so sad and unnecessary. Doobie is almost two has 0 leash manners. Is shy, nervous, has some issues with cars. She weighs 140 pounds. In just two weeks with a flat collar, 6 foot leash and a bag of treats she has gone from almost pulling me down to loosely walking by my side. She outweighs me by 15 pounds. Ridiculous.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Snowberrys Shinning Star HIC S, Feb 18 4:24 pm

Behavior & Training > Waking up early, biting....HELP
Bo

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 1:24pm PST 
Ginger you are adorable cloud 9 I second Triggers & Shanes advice. Never make your hands a bad thing. She is a puppy, this is how they communicate and research their world, by mouthing stuff. I would try squeaky super fun toys.Right now you are a large extra fun mobile toy, that squeal and yelps. How fun smile Redirecting is the best thing. Showing her that hands are for cuddling, grooming, etc.
What has always worked for us is a time out. Not always in the traditional sense. Such as you bite my legs as I walk. I STOP.. I do not move a muscle until you stop nibbling. As soon as we are focused on me again we click & treat. Then start walking. I used to have to this over and over and over and over smile Again with Charley as a puppy. Nothing spoils the fun like your human not participating in bitey games. I will warn you this will hurt. I suggest boots if you have them. She will also get better before she gets worse, extinction burst. But she will learn. I think walking on a leash is the best way to teach this.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Feb 21 8:48 am

Behavior & Training > reactivity to...skateboards

Bo

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 12:56pm PST 
Try a second hand sports store. I found one in a thrift store for $ 5.00 since my kids don't want raw meat on their toys.. Weirdos.

I would love that smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Leah, CGC, Feb 18 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > reactivity to...skateboards

Bo

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 10:13am PST 
What Chandler said smile

Charley hated wheels on everything..Wheels were evil. We have a teenager & a little one so wheely things are part of our environment. I will tell you I tried for years to get her desensitized to them. Every time we made headway a gang of hooligans aka my kids got carried away. In the end it was something I could control so we let it be. Bikes, skate boards, roller blades, etc. Were stored out of sight. Even the sight of one sent her into a tail spin. This post didn't help you much wink

Doobie seems to have the same fear. BUT it seems to be more manageable. I did what Chandler suggested. Started with one roller blade ( old one) put food in it. I do this about three times a day between other things. A week later she is sniffing the inside of roller blades ( I do realize this could come back and bite me but I don't care). The skateboard is a OK thing when it is not in motion, right now. This morning I served her breakfast on it. It took her 10 minutes to get it while I just sat there and talked to her..Once we conquer those two on to bikes..
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, Feb 18 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > she ate my carpet!

Bo

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 12:55pm PST 
Exercise her, play with them, give them appropriate chew toys. Stuff Kong's with safe treats. Give puzzle toys.
I promise you a tired and well fulfilled dog does not chew inappropriate things in your home.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Yoopie (U.P.), Mar 1 9:39 pm

Behavior & Training > we hired a behaviorist
Bo

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:21pm PST 
Have you ever read " Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown ? I highly recommend it. Charley was always braver with Annie & Bo around. Their presence meant fight without them she would retreat to flight. That book helped me understand her more then a behaviorist & trainer combined.

I give it to every new dog or puppy owner. I love it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bob, CGC, Feb 16 5:45 am

(Page 1 of 149: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.