Postings by Peter Parker

GO!

(Page 1 of 218: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Is it normal for a dog's coat to change after neutering?
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Sat May 16, '15 1:31pm PST 
Koby my coat changed after I was neutered. The hair around my legs and chest was less silky like and sorta thicker. And shaggier. We bought some supplement at PetCo called Dream Coat that really helped. Plus, I get salmon skins toocheer the fish oil helps a lot too and i am glad it seems to be helping you toocheer
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Koby, May 17 5:03 pm

Dog Health > Will my dog George ever walk again after surgery?
Peter Parker

Barked: Wed May 6, '15 1:42am PST 
Great news George!!!applause 90% is good!!way to go I'm sure you will continue to improve pal and we will def say prayers for you!!!hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Tue 8:25 am

Dog Health > Allergies!!!

Peter Parker

Barked: Tue May 5, '15 8:23pm PST 
Thanks Scooter and Jaspercheercheerhug yes the pollens are so bad here. Today the pine, grass, mold and pecan are all so highconfusedconfused even mommas nose and eyes are itchyconfused she is going to call the vet and ask about the dosage and give me a low dosecheer hopefully it will offer me some reliefcheer she did trim my hair and give me a bath with conditioner last week and it really helped cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , May 6 6:20 am

Dog Health > Allergies!!!

Peter Parker

Barked: Fri May 1, '15 10:59am PST 
Hey pals,wave I don't know if it's just around here but the pollens are really bad right now. I mean, me, myself, am having a rough go of it with itchy eyes and a runny nose, and, I am noticing Peter reverse sneezing a little more than usual and chewing his little feet after our walks. I have been wiping him down after our walks, but, since he is so low to the ground the pollen is literally ALL over his tail and tummy. We have to pick all the leaves/pollen thingies off him before we come inside. The pollen also leaves this yellow residue/powder everywhere, it is awful. All over the cars, the ground, everywhere.
I am curious how many of you are also dealing with allergies and what your symptoms are. Also, are any of you on Benadryl. My vet suggested this a few years back when Peter had an allergy flare up and I think it did help but now that he is 13.5 years old I am reluctant to give any sort of medications out of fear that it can somehow compromise him.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , May 6 6:20 am

Food & Nutrition > The new Wellness TruFood Baked Blends??

Peter Parker

Barked: Fri May 1, '15 10:50am PST 
Hi Astrowavewave
hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , May 6 6:21 am

Food & Nutrition > The new Wellness TruFood Baked Blends??
Peter Parker

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '15 11:08am PST 
Hey palswave So, I got a email from Wellness introducing this new food. We used to rotate with Wellness a while back but stopped when they had a recall, on I forget which product, but we just stopped feeding Wellness products altogether after that recall. This particular food sparked my interest though.
Have any of you guys seen it or tried it yet?
Your thoughts on it?
Here are the ingredients and values:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Chicken Liver, Flaxseed, Chicken Hearts, Pea Protein, Tapioca Flour, Green Beans, Beets, Herring Meal, Lentils, Apples, Coconut Oil, Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Turmeric, Calcium Carbonate, Chia Seeds, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Spinach, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Broccoli, Ginger, Pumpkin, Parsley, Blueberries, Kale, Purple Carrots, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Inulin, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus thermophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

Crude Protein (Min)36.00%
Crude Fat (Max)17.00%
Crude Fiber (Min)4.50%
Moisture (Max)10.00%
Calcium (Max)1.50%
Phosphorus (Max)1.00%
Vitamin A (Min)5000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 400 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (Min)2.75%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (Min)1.20%
Glucosamine* (Min)250 mg/kg
Chondroitin* (Min)200 mg/kg
Total Lactic Acid Microorganisms*✝ (Min)20,000,000 CFU/lb
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , May 6 6:21 am

Food & Nutrition > Rotators!!

Peter Parker

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '15 11:20am PST 
Hey Scooterwavewavehugit is good to see you palsnoopy
Usually it is recommended to slowly transition, like maybe add a little of the new food to their old food and then eventually just switch it on over.puppy When I started with the dehydrated raw I still added a bit of kibble for a week or so and Peter did fine. cheer Peter is pretty used to eating different meat sources though as we give him some of our freshly baked (human) meat all the time. I'm sure rotating within the same brand would be okway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Trinity, May 14 6:40 pm

Peter Parker

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '15 11:01am PST 
Hello again GeorgewaveHow are you feeling today?hughughug
I'm sorry to say this but you HAVE to try to stop him from dragging his legs or "pushing" off with his back feet. You have to try to watch him, yes, every second of the day. It is exhausting. It is sad. It is frustrating. But, it is necessary. My surgeon was very specific about these rules during our discharge appointment and Peter was not as bad as George. Peter never lost sensation is his back legs, or "dangled" them. His injury was purely cervical.
With that being said, it should be a given that he should most certainly NOT be on the couch OR bed with you. Not at all!!! Not under any circumstances!!!hughughug If an accident were to happen and he fell off the couch or bed, that could be disastrous. He could further injure himself. This second crate you speak of should be set up in your bedroom and he should be carried from the playpen (which sounds great by the way) and put in the "sleepy time" crate in your bedroom, next to your bed, facing you, so he can see you. They have these toys at PetCo, that come with a solution that you pour on the toy that is supposed to calm them and remind them of being with "mother", it is a calming agent. I bought one of those. It helped some. They will cry. Scream. Whine.. Bark. Yelp. All of it. But, you have to try…….for George.
I know how hard it is. You want them in the bed next to you. You want to kiss them and cuddle them and pet them. I personally had to be tranquilized the entire time Peter was in the hospital. I was a wreck. He's all I have. He is my whole world. EVERYTHING I do, revolves around this little dog. So, I know how bad you want him on that bed with you. Trust me.
Does he have control of his bladder? If he has control of his bladder, is trying to use his back legs and is trying to wag his tail, these are all good signs. It's only been a week. Please understand it could take weeks or months for him to regain mobility. If he does at all. I am hoping and praying that he does. Again, hydrotherapy could be beneficial. Also, if you look online there are some massaging techniques that cold be used to help stimulate the muscles in the back legs. These techniques are used on dogs that have lost sensation in their back legs. This is not a sprint. It will be a marathon. It will take time. hughug
Peter was on the same medications as george in addition to 2 or 3 others, 1 being sucralfate (hope i spelled that right). It is a tummy relaxer you may want to think about. We had insane medication schedules. I was having to set my alarm at midnight, 4 am, like 8 am, 2pm, it was an ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT thing. Of course, if you have to work it makes it exponentially harder. I wasn't working at the time so I devoted 100% of my time to Peter and his recovery. When I had to run an errand I put him in his "sleepy time" crate and put it on my husbands side of the bed, since my husband is a shift worker, he was in the bedroom asleep so could basically be with Peter. Thank Goodness. They both just slept anyway and I was rarely gone for more than 2 or 3 hours.
I hope George continues to improve with each passing dayhughughughug I know how hard it is.hughughug
Again, DodgersList helped me SO much during Peter's recovery timehughug I hope you read some of the recovery stories there as some are really inspiring.hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Tue 8:25 am

Peter Parker

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '15 9:02pm PST 
Hiwave Please give it timehughug Is he getting the recommended 6-8 weeks of STRICT crate rest?? Did your surgeon bring this up with you or discuss any complications that may have happened during the surgery? What medications is he on and how often are you giving them?
I cannot stress enough how important the 6-8 weeks of STRICT crate rest are. hughug That means ONLY to potty. And at that, he needs to be carried out to potty, and picked back up when he is done and put back in his crate.
Peter has IVDD. He is also 13.5 years old. 2.5 years ago he had a calcified disc in his neck that responded well to conservative therapy (Pred & crate rest) for the first 2 or 3 times but one morning I noticed Peter could not look up at me and he was holding his neck very stiff. He was walking with a hunched back and yelping with every step. When I tried to pick him up he yelled out in pain, and that was when I rushed him to the vet. The surgery itself went well. He stayed in the hospital 4 days. It was awful. I couldn't sleep without my baby boy.
DodgersList was SO helpful, and the people there are really knowledgable about IVDD. There are many stories of recovery, on going incidents, and plenty of info on how to set up a "recovery suite" after surgery so they are comfortable and secure.
As far as George walking, I am not quite sure. Impossible to say. But, I have read plenty of stories on DodgersList of dogs that have been paralyzed and they eventually regained sensation in their back legs and walked again. Others have a special "cart" or wheels that help them get around.
Some respond well to hydrotherapy. We were offered hydrotherapy but I wanted to wait to see how well Peter could get around. After a few days he was ok. After 3 weeks, he was a pistol. Back to his little old self. But, kept to the strict crate rest and meds for the whole 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, he was fine. Haven't really had a problem since but I am ALOT more careful now. Of course it is a challenge to stop the jumping 100% but SO important.
For my recovery suite I basically used a big crate, the wire ones so they can see out. I draped a little blanket on top and I put his bed in there, some blankets, his toys and his water in a little corner. I put his food bowl in there for breakfast and dinner and then took it out when he was done. There are many pictures and help setting one up on DodgersList.
Saying prayers for Georgehughughug it is good news that he is moving his tail and back legs somehughug I hope you see more improvements in the weeks to comehughug
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Tue 8:25 am

Dog Health > Does anyone have experience with using Meloxicam (Metacam)?
Peter Parker

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '15 3:58pm PST 
Hi Kobywave I' throwing in a 3rd vote to stay away from Dogswell ANYTHING also!!big grin Anything coming out of China of course!
We have briefly been on Metacam with zero side effects, although in all fairness it was not for anything long term. Tram works well too. I noticed when Pete was on the Metacam he did not have a problem going pee pee, although if I remember correctly he was also on Pred, which of course makes them pee pee a lot. We are also on a Glucosamine supplement I get at PetCo that I believe has really helped Peter with his mobility. A few years back the vet said he had a touch arthritis in his back hips but I haven't noticed too much stiffness at all with the Glucosamine supplement. ToTo is right about the human one being cheaper and basically the same thing.
hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Apr 11 3:10 pm

(Page 1 of 218: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.