Postings by Chamois

GO!

(Page 1 of 125: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Do you have a color preferance in dogs?
Chamois

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 6:02pm PST 
Solid black
Sable and White... like this: http://tristatecollierescue.net/pictures/cloe/1.jpg picture of a lovely girl from tri-state collie rescue. As opposed to the descriptions of sable that don't include the black tipping.

Although yellow in the form of "Sugar Cookie" color ... lightly browned on the edges... has been growing on me since I got Chamois seven years ago (hm, or eight). I didn't like yellow but I didn't pick her for her color. A pet peeve... she is "yellow", white is not a lab color nor is she white. Although I do admit sometimes it is difficult to tell without a white dog near her.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 7:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Spin off...have you been bitten?
Chamois

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 9:45pm PST 
I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a serious bite but my black lab was serious when he slashed me between the eyes when I was a teenager. My family knew nothing about dominance then and did a lot of things wrong for the kind of dog he was. Starting with the first thing I did when we walked into the house is feed him. He growled and I backed off in total suprise and then didn't bother him (not because I was afraid of him then but it just happened that I tended to be busy at his meal times and I didn't make a point to do anything). For the next 7 or 8 months if I asked him to do something, he did it if he felt like it. And I didn't realize what he thought was happening when I did what he wanted. Then one day I didn't even after he insisted. If a "slash" is a "bite", then he did.

The only other non-nipping bite wasn't really a bite. I stuck my fingers in Chamois' mouth when she was eating and my fingers got crunched along with her food. That hurt but there was no intent on her part.
[notify]
» There has since been 55 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Sep 30 3:18 am

Puppy Place > Is Rescueing a Dog the Same thing as Going to a Puppymill?

Chamois

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 6:59pm PST 
What is the difference between the average person buying from a puppy mill and anyone else buying from a puppy mill?

I am not trying to be contentious, I like to challenge my assumptions/conclusions and that often means trying to understand why other people think the way they do.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 4:06 am

Chamois

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 2:18pm PST 
"How about taking political action, trying to change law, lobbying, writing to one’s senator……… instead of taking potshots at someone doing their best to stop suffering."

Concerning your first point there, because I think the faster, surer way to end puppy mills is to dry up the market. I do not think these suppliers care what motivates the demand side (other than to develop more effective marketing strategies) or what the buyers call what they do. I have trouble seeing how more laws would be more effective when the current laws would be effective if they were enforced.

Concerning your second point there, I don't think saying so is taking pot shots at anyone.

edit to add:
I think education is working because the major market for puppy mills used to be pet stores. Now that so many people know pet store pups came from puppy mills, that market has dried up. Not completely yet, but for the most part.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 4:06 am

Behavior & Training > 2 dogs, 1 name

Chamois

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 11:18am PST 
I've never met another Chamois or Cham but Sammy and Sam are common and Chamois will respond to either from anyone if she realizes they are talking to her (and if I don't trump them). Usually she puts little weight on words and just goes by body language. She is used to masses of people around and is very, very good at knowing when they are attending to her and when they aren't even if they looking at something close to her.

Once in a while, if a dog is really close (mostly if they are humping her or tring to) and his person gets after him, she won't be sure what to do and will shoot a look over to me to check if she should do something different.

So, I dunno, maybe take Khloe to lots of soccer practices, baseball games, parades and picking up kids from school so she gets lots of practice in telling if people are going to stop and visit her or not.

snoopysnoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Elka, NTD, Sep 19 12:13 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Can action be taken to stop someone from euthanizing their healthy dog?
Chamois

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 6:58am PST 
Ate post because I missed the last sentence of the op.... I didn't realize there was a good home for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Oct 20 11:00 pm

Chamois

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 6:30am PST 
"When you rescue a dog from a shelter or rescue organization, is that the same thing as buy your dog from a puppymill?"

Usually it is not. A very few shelter/rescue organizations get all of their puppies and dogs by buying them from puppymillers, in that case I think it is.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 4:06 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Do You Have A Dog \"Life List\" - What Rare Breeds Have You Seen?

Chamois

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 5:33pm PST 
Are Maremma Sheepdogs distinctive enough to tell them from say a pyranese mix or newfoundland mix?
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Dec 6 10:44 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Do You Have A Dog \"Life List\" - What Rare Breeds Have You Seen?

Chamois

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 5:31pm PST 
Due to a live long interest, a willingness to talk dogs with almost anyone and lots of garage saling I've come across quite a few breeds.

The onese I can only remember seeing one example of:
Affenpinscher
American Eskimo Dog
Bearded Collie
Belgian Terveren
Bluetick Coonhound
Border Terrier
Bouvier
Gorden Setter
Italian Greyhound
Silky Terrier

I'm not sure which are rare but looking down the list of breeds, these are the ones I remember for sure and I knew what they were when I saw them (or believed the owners when they said)....and I thought they were a breed (I've seen white german shepherds, labradoodles, miniaussies, etc. but I'm not sure where the breed line is).

Affenpinscher, Akita, Alaskan Malamute, American Bulldog, American Eskimo Dog, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Australian Cattle Dog, Basenji, Basset Hound, Beagle, Bearded Collie, Belgian Terveren, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon Frise, Bloodhound, Blue Heeler, Bluetick Coonhound, Border Collie, Border Terrier, Boston Terrier, Bouvier, Boxer, Brittany Spaniel, Bull Terrier, Bulldog, Bullmastiff, Cairn Terrier, Catahoula, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Chihuahua, Chin, Chinese Shar-Pei, Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Collie, Corgi (Cardigan), Corgi (Pembroke), Dachshund, Dalmation, Doberman, English Setter, Fox Terrier, German Shepherd, German Shorthaired Pointer, German Wirehaired Pointer, Golden Retriever, Gorden Setter, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Greyhound, Irish Setter, Irish Wolfhound, Italian Greyhound, Jack Russel Terrier, Keeshond, Lab, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Mastiff, Miniature Pinscher, Miniature Poodle, Miniature Schnauzer, Newfoundland (Black and Landseer), Norfolk Terrier, Norweign Elkhound, Papillon, Pekingese, Plott Hound, Pomeranian, Pyranese, Poodle, Pug, Rat Terrier, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Samoyed, Schipperke, Scottish Terrier, Shetland Sheepdog, Shih-Tzu, Siberian Husky, Silky Terrier, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Springer Spaniel, Standard Poodle, Standard Schnauzer, Toy Poodle, Vizsla, Weimaraner, West Highland White Terrier, Whippet, Wirehaired Fox Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier.
snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Dec 6 10:44 am

Puppy Place > Large Breed Puppy Problems
Chamois

Barked: Thu Sep 30, '10 4:47am PST 
Congrats!!

A 20 pound puppy is adorable jumping up into your lap and it is much easier to block him from barreling out the door when you open it, but it is easier to see him as weighing a 100 pounds and teach him than to wait until he weighs a 100 pounds AND has months of learning behind him to teach him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chamois, Sep 30 4:47 am

(Page 1 of 125: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.