GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Puppy Palace?
Lola

I am a certified- therapy dog and- CGC

Barked: Sun Mar 21, '10 5:30am PST 
SPCA closes Puppy Palace
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: MARK ZIMMARO AND DAVID LEVINSKY
Burlington County Times

MOORESTOWN - The Puppy Palace pet store located at the Moorestown Mall was ordered to close this week after investigators from the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals found a critically ill puppy there.

SPCA spokesman Matt Stanton said investigators discovered the 10-week-old German shepherd named "Bismark" during an unannounced visit to the store this week. An SPCA agent at the Mall on Saturday said the dog was suffering from Parvovirus and was immediately removed from the store.

The dog was then taken to Columbus Central Veterinary Hospital in Mansfield. The SPCA agent said the dog was still being treated at the hospital on Saturday and was described as "hanging on."

The rest of the story can be found at: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/burlington_county_times/bct_ne ws_details/article/26/2010/march/21/spca-closes-puppy-palace.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 31 12:21 pm

Behavior & Training > Almost a CGC
Lola

Barked: Sun Oct 18, '09 8:23pm PST 
My dad had trained me for the CGC and to become a Therapy dog. We spent a long time in training. We passed the first time but don't give up. Tell your mom there are a lot of humans who did not pass their drivers license the first time out either.

What parts did you not pass?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 5:19 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > This may be a stretch, but try to keep an open mind

Lola

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 5:57am PST 
There is a puppy mill awareness day held annually. I do not know if it is in various states on the same day, just in PA or travels from year to year. More information can be found at http://www.awarenessday.org I will be going to this years event which is held in the Lancaster PA area and will be held tomorrow.

What I would like to see is a protest at pet stores that sell puppies throughout the US. It could be a national protest on the same day that coincides with the awareness day event. I'd like to see people protesting in front of the stores and showing prospective customers the conditions that the puppies are raised in and how the parent dogs are treated in a horrible way.

People can show prospective customers a DVD of the conditions that puppy mills are in and stress to them that if they buy from the store that they are not saving the puppy but that they are actually supporting the practice because it leaves room for another puppy when they buy one. In addition brochures can be handed out. One such brochure I like is from http://www.petshoppuppies.org/brochure.pdf this particular brochure has a cute puppy on the front page and the brochure is titled the joy of a puppy. People would be inclined to read this brochure and at first glance they would think that it is in support of a new puppy from looking at the cover. The inside of the brochure is a whole different matter.

If the protests are put on this way the puppy stores would eventually close down and would help puppy mills close down because a puppy mill will not exist if they can't sell their puppies to pet shops.

Also check out http://www.puppymilltruck.com/ and see how this guy is educationg people.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 21 6:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > What impresses the kids...

Lola

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 9:27am PST 
About 2 months ago Lola and I was at a library with other therapy dogs. All the kids were in a room and we were at the front of the room introducing ourselves and dogs to them. We then showed them a trick our dogs can do. one trick a handler had her therapy dog do was hide and he was able to find her just from where her voice was coming from. The kids clapped when he found his handler. Other handlers showed what there dog can do and when the dog did the trick the children applauded.

When it was Lola's turn I told the children that it's not really a trick but a good form of how disciplined Lola is and I placed five treats on the floor. Lola just sat there looking at them as she was supposed to do and then I would point to the one I wanted her to have which she then ate. After she ate the one she would go into a sit position automatically and wait for me to point to the next one. After I pointed to all five treats and she did not take a single one and only took the one I wanted her to at the time the children not only applauded but gave Lola a standing ovation
way to gohappy dancesnoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 16 8:38 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Area's to train a soon-to-be Therapy Dog????

Lola

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 7:09am PST 
I would think that most places that allow therapy dogs go through a therapy dog organization because the therapy dog organization holds liability insurance.The one belong does.

As for training I trained Lola myself. I looked at the tests that she would have to pass and trained her from that setting up different scenarios. When we went to the actual classes we started in the fifth week out of a six week course and passed not only the therapy dog test but also the CGC test of the AKC.

The classes would be good to take though because in the classes you will be working with people that would simulate the actual conditions that patients are in such as being bed bound. I would not bring Lola into an environment where she was not already certified for because of the risks involved and she knows how to approach a patient.

Just a few days ago we were in a nursing home and the patient wanted Lola to jump up on the bed. Lola did not jump up on the bed because she knew not to and I picked her up and placed her gently on the bed.

With the knowledge you will get from a class I highly suggest going that route and not striking out on your own especially for the liability factor alone.

I looked at your profile and it did not indicate where you are from so in order for someone to point you in the right direction it would help if they knew where you are. If I knew you were from my area I would suggest Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs. They have a website at http://www.golden-dogs.org and the actual test they use can be found at: http://www.golden-dogs.org/test.cfm

With the test in mind you will know if your dog is ready or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 16 6:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > therapy dog to be !
Lola

Barked: Wed Sep 9, '09 8:30am PST 
I am a bit confused here. Are you looking to have your dog as a therapy dog or a service dog? A therapy dog provides service of visiting hospitals, nursing homes and libraries as well as other places that therapy dogs are welcome to provide comfort and support for people that would benefit and want therapy dog visit by invitation from the place that they are at. A service dog is dog that provides support for an owner of the dog whether it be something to do with a physical handicap or an emotional one.

Any dog can be a therapy dog provided it has passed a requirement exam and is registered with the organization that performed the exam.

If you are looking to have your dog registered as a therapy dog and want to know what the requirements are and want to know what the test consists of then I suggest that you visit http://www.golden-dogs.org/test.cfm and that will bring you to the test that is actually performed. You can adapt the test to your dog's training to become a therapy dog if that is what you want to do with your dog.

A therapy dog is not allowed to go into any place in building where it has not been invited. A service dog is allowed access anywhere the owner can go according to the ADA guidelines including restaurants as long as the owner meets the requirements for having a service dog.

A service dog is not a pet and therefore can live with it's owner in place that even has a no pet policy. A therapy dog is a pet and can't live in a place where pets are not allowed.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 11 1:52 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > I\'m going to the hospital...:(

Lola

Barked: Wed Sep 9, '09 7:43am PST 
I have gone to the hospital because of kidney stones and many times was in so much pain I had to bring a trash can to puke in because it was hard for me to get to the bathroom. You are in a hospital, it's mean and kind of rude to sit here and talk about about someone who is sick. Sorry, but being someone who was in the hospital throwing up until she had nothing to throw up, I KNOW it's not fun and I KNOW it's not fun to have people sit there and go "ewww go to the bathroom" sometimes pain makes it so you can't move.

I agree people can't help how they come into an ER. I have gone to the ER two times out of six I had kidney stones. I never puked in the ER waiting room because they brought me into the ER right away both times.

The one time I had severe abdominal pains and a 104 degree temperature that was not related to kidney stones I waited 2 hours to get in the ER from the waiting room. I guess they figured I could wait a little longer because I already waited two days before even going to the ER. That time they admitted me for three days.

It's to bad hospitals do not have WiFi. Good luck with your stay and I hope all goes well for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Sep 10 5:21 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescues that only take in puppies from Puppy Mills?

Lola

Barked: Wed Sep 9, '09 7:24am PST 
So then if shutting down the PM's is not the answer then shut down the pet stores selling PM puppies which is virtually each and every one of them.

People can start by going into there local puppy stores and seeing if all the state rules are being followed. If they re not then they need to be reported to the SPCA or local board of health. If they are following all laws then perhaps a few protests outside the store would help. A DVD of puppy mills and how they are run could be shown to prospective customers outside the store along with giving them a list of all the rescue organizations and shelters in the area. If they are looking for a specific breed that they can't find in a shelter advise them of a breed specific rescue and tell them that you would help them out with finding the dog they are looking for.

There is a puppy mill awareness day in PA that is held annually. Perhaps that can also be day of national protest of pet stores that sell puppies where people that can't get to the awareness day event and can be at there local pet store protesting the puppies they sell.

More information on puppy mill awareness day can be found here:

www.awarenessday.org
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 9 7:24 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > SPCA exec's dog dies after being left in hot car

Lola

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 12:39pm PST 
This woman should be put on a do not adopt to list. How big can her car be that she could not see the dog in the back of the car even if her husband did put the dog in the car.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Sep 6 12:11 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Lost/Stolen Puppy
Lola

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 9:05pm PST 
The phone number comes back to a New York city number
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 27 12:17 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.