Postings by Chandler

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rocket Needs a Home URGENT
Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:48am PST 
Hello, my name is Jacquelyn Nikitaras and I am a volunteer at the Porter County animal shelter in Valparaiso, Indiana. I am trying to find a rescue/foster home to take in a young, pit bull terrier mix named Rocket. Rocket is an approximately three year old, twenty pound female and has been at the shelter since February of this year. She is up to date on her shots. I do believe she is spayed, but I am not completely positive. During her stay at the shelter, I have grown very attached to Rocket. She is sweet, lively, and obedient. She loves to destroy chew toys, explore the outdoors, and play in water. She knows sit but would rather lie down and roll on her back hoping for a belly rubs.

However, not many adopters have the privilege of seeing that side of her. Rocket is very dog-reactive. In her the cage, Rocket will lunge at any dog that passes. She also has a tendency to try and force her way out of her cage, which can make her difficult for some to handle. When she is outside though, all I have to do is call her name and she will ignore any other dog and come to me. Few of the employees have taken the time to get to know this amazing dog and do not take the time to work with her. My shelter is no-kill for adoptable dogs, but Rocket is in the "Grey-area" of being adoptable because of her dog reactiveness. While I do not believe that she could ever live with another dog, I do think that once out of the shelter environment she will be a wonderful dog for a single-pet home. She has never shown any human aggression whatsoever and will even let me carry her and roll her on to her back. Unfortunately, I have other dogs so I can not take her.

I have contacted all the rescues in my area and have had no luck. I am continuing to advertise her as much as possible. I've exhausted so many options and I'm getting desperate to find Rocket a home. I have grown really attached to her and am really desperate to get her out of the shelter environment. She has so much potential to be a great pet but the shelter that she is currently at just doesn't let her show it.

If there is any way that you or a rescue you know can take in Rocket, please contact Porter County Animal Shelter at (219)465-3550. I am willing to help arrange transport.

Here is Rocket's Petfinder page; http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17788768

Feel free to share this with whomever.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Oct 8 6:27 pm

Small Dogs > Collars & Leashes! What do you use?
Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 2:30pm PST 
On Chandler, I use a no-pull harness, because he likes to try and keep up with the big dogs.

On Rosco, we use a strange, thick harness we found at a little pet supplies place because he likes to slip out of collars and normal harnesses. He has confinement issues. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Misha, Feb 25 6:20 am

Behavior & Training > fussy puppies!

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 10:39am PST 
Chandler can be very fussy about the pillows on the couch. They cannot be crooked or slanted, they must be laying flat for him to lay on them. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Aug 14 6:39 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Intimidating looking breeds

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sun Jul 17, '11 10:34am PST 
Little dogs tend to intimidate me the most. I volunteer at a Shelter and used to work at a vet clinic, and little dogs gave me the most porblems. Especially because they are usually placed in higher up cages, so I have to pick them up in order to walk them. I am always scared they are going to attack my face.

That being said, I love my little Chandler to pieces.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Goodman, Jul 21 3:44 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > What's in YOUR shelter?

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 7:19pm PST 
My shelter gets A LOT of labs, pits, beagles, and their mixes. We also get quite a few shepherd and shepherd mixes. They are all great dogs. Most of them are at the shelter due to human issues, like divorce, deployment, moving etc. And, unfortunetly, lack of proper research before getting a dog. Don't even get me started on that one. BOL naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Mar 24 12:19 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Bro Needs A Chance ASAP
Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 7:43pm PST 
I volunteer at Porter County Animal Shelter in Valparaiso, Indiana. I am searching for a rescue/foster home/forever home for a very shy, very sweet hoarder-victim.

His name is Bro, and he is a year and a half year old retriever/chow mix. He came from a hoarder with over seventy dogs, most of which turned feral. Bro is extremely shy with people, but has improved since arriving at the shelter over six months ago. He will now let people leash him, and will also let people pet him, though he isn't completely comfortable with it yet. He loves to play with other dogs, and chew up stuffed animals. He is a very sweet boy with a lot of potential to become a great pet, but the shelter environment is slowing is progress. Bro needs a loving rescue/foster home/forever home to take him in, and give him the individualized attention and training that he needs.

Though we are no kill, the staff at the shelter is ready to give up on Bro. They are deeming him as ‘unadoptable’, which will lead to him being euthanized. However, I love him very much, and completely believe that he can be a wonderful pet. I am currently trying my best to persuade the shelter that Bro is indeed improving, however slowly. Sadly, the only way to ensure Bro’s future is to find a rescue/foster home/forever home to take him in. I would, but I am only seventeen and do not own my home.

If there is any way that you or someone you know can take in Bro, please contact Porter County Animal Shelter at (219)465-3550.

Here is Bro's Petfinder page; http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17788768
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chandler, Mar 20 7:43 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Urgent: Dog Needs Home/Rescue/Foster Home A.S.A.P.

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sat Aug 28, '10 4:00pm PST 
Bongo is a three or four year old Chow-Chow/lab at Porter County Animal Shelter, Valparaiso, IN. It is a no-kill shelter, but recently Bongo attacked a goat that is staying at our shelter. They want to put him down for it.

Bongo has had a rough life, constantly going in and out of the shelter never finding a forever home. He has a lot of energy, and deffinetly needs to be taught some doggy manners. He is a really sweet dog and doesn't deserve to have his life ended due to following his basic instincts. Some dogs don't like livestock, just like some don't like cats or other dogs.

Here is his Petfinder Description:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/14908146

If you are interested in rescuing/adopting/fostering Bongo, please contact Porter County Animal Shelter:
(219)465-3550
or
pcanimal@porterco.org
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chandler, Aug 28 4:00 pm

Small Dogs > papillons

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 10:11am PST 
I have one. =3
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tika, Aug 9 5:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Shelter selection stories.

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Sat Feb 6, '10 5:06pm PST 
Did you get your pup from a municipal shelter/animal control or from an independent rescue or other source? From a local animal shelter I volunteer at.

What health, temperament or other treatments or services were administered to the dog by the organization or individual before you got the dog? Basic Shots and vaccinations. He came with a certificate for a free neuter at a participating vet.

Was that reflected in the adoption fee? Yes.

If you're comfortable doing so, share the amount of the fee: $75

Do you think you had to 'jump through a lot of hoops' to get your dog, or was it readily available? No, we just had to wait the four day waiting period to be sure an original owner didn't claim him.

Were you rejected by any rescues, shelters or rehoming individuals? No. We were the first to place a hold on him, and got priority because we volunteer there.

What were some of the requirements the adoption venue or individual asks of potential adopters? To fill out an application, pay in cash. My shelter isn't too strict with potential adopters, which can be bad at times.

Have you encountered any health problems from your rescued pup? No.

Have you encountered any temperament problems from your rescued pup? He was difficult to potty train and scared of men. Besides that, he mostly just had typical puppy problems. (He was only six months old when we adopted him)

What advice do you have for those seeking dogs from rescues, shelters or folks who can't or won't keep their pets any longer? Make sure you always see the dog outside of his cage, don't just judge on looks. And also be aware that your dog might be a completely different dog outside of the shelter environment.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Max (aka Sebastian), Feb 11 8:06 am

Papillon (and Phalene) > Ever get mistaken fur a lady?
Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 11:43am PST 
Yep, people always think I'm a girl! red face
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kitsune, Jan 15 8:12 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.