Postings by Dasha

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > NEW TO DOGSTER!
Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:02pm PST 
I'm actually new here too and still trying to figure out how to work everything. My spotted friend is one of my best friends so I decided to create a profile for her. So, I wait patiently for an answer to your requests from the more experienced guardians as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Delilah Happy Girl, Aug 14 5:43 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > RANT...need some strong words from you guys (really long, even for me)
Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 7:59pm PST 
I am appalled by people who get rid of dogs because they won't spend the time to train. I am a victim of this. My behaviors were cute when I was a puppy but so obnoxious when I was an adolescent that my family got rid of me. My new family worked with me to teach me how to properly behave.
My human playmate, whose typing this now, has handled a number of dogs that have had problems. Her last 4-legged walking partner was scared of other dogs because of being attacked by them. She got the Pit-mix to actually greet other dogs without aggression. Her other 4-legged friend, Buddy, is a problem dog. He was dumped at the pound, adopted by a new family as a puppy, mistreated and left to his own devices and then when this family decided that his antics were too much, they were on their way to dumping him at the pound again. However, his grandmother found out and took him in right away. Buddy's doing a lot better and has discovered that his grandmother will not get rid of him just because he's mischievous, so now he is behaving rather regularly.
The guardian of that problem dog knew it was a problem dog and accepted the challenge. When things got rough, he or she (don't know what gender the person was) dumped the dog and didn't even have the descency to sit with the dog while he was put down.
I just can't fanthom why people are so irresponsible and cruel!
[notify]
» There has since been 51 posts. Last posting by Rondo, Aug 15 1:07 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Leaving dogs in cars

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 7:29pm PST 
I live in Fullerton, California - yes, I'm a California Girl! Anyway, my human playmate has been trying to find out whether or not California has passed a law prohibiting guardians from leaving their dogs in their autos unattended. Some say yes, but the number of people who still do this has her stumped. Also, she notices that cops never ticket the people - they just roll right by and go on their merry way. My human playmate only leaves me in the car with windows open to get fast food where there is not drive-up window. She orders her food then comes back to the car to wait with me for her food. She always parks right in front so I can see her in the restaurant at all times. Then she picks up the food and shares it with me in the car or at a park somewhere. That's the only time she does this - otherwise she just takes me with her or she doesn't go where I can't go.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nadiya KC Dog Advocates, Aug 10 8:07 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Pit Bulls get blamed for everything these days.

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 7:08pm PST 
No Kidding. I watch the news with my humans and I see them blaming attacks on a huge pit - it's actually a mastiff breed. Hello - pits don't get that big! Sometimes it's a boxer, sorry boxers, but one such attack was a boxer and the news was stating that it was a pit. While boxers and some mastiff may look like pits, other dogs do not. You never hear about all of the cocker spaniels who bite or any other breeds anymore. I've actually seen them blame a lab bit on a pit. It used to be German Shepherds and then Rotties and Dobbies, and then Chows. Now the poor little pitbull is getting the bad name. Out of all the dog attacks, how many are actually pits? A much smaller number than the news will have you believe. It's like people who believe Dalmatians are stupid because they don't understand that we are actually really smart but really strong-willed. And a lot of Dals have been known to attack people - that's why people say they often avoid approaching me especially when I smile at them - whoops - they think I'm baring my teeth - well I am but not aggressively. My humans have to tell them I am smiling and happy to greet them. I wish people would just use their common sense!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by blossom, Aug 19 11:53 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > There is no hope for Allen Park, MI. This is the response I got.

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 6:59pm PST 
What I want to know if these so-called pit bulls that attacked people or dogs were really pit bulls. I have experienced so many people who see a square-faced dog and assume it is a pit when it is actually a boxer or a conecorso (probably spelled wrong) or a mastiff, etc. Why don't they come up with a very serious punishment for guardians with any dog that does major damage to other animals or people instead of outlawing any particular breed? Some people should just not have pets, plain and simple! Punish the offenders not the good pups, I say! My human playmate has a lot of experience walking pits and pit mixes and she hates it when people try to say that the breed is a bad one. Dog bites are 95% plus human error, whether its bad owners or bad human behavior. People keep trying to tell us that sooner or later a pit will turn on you. I don't know where they get this idea. It's simply not true. Sometimes humans do things that threaten dogs and their auto response is to protect themselves or others. How this translate that sooner or later a certain dog breed will turn on you is beyond me and my humans. When German Shepherds were at the top of the list for dogs that attack other dogs and humans, no one banned them. Why pits? Most pits love people! Even good fighting pits aren't supposed to attack people and most don't - watch Animal Precinct and other such shows where they break up a dog-fighting outfit - most of those pits are friendly towards people. It always gauls me that they destroy the dogs anyway. It's not that difficult to keep a dog-aggressive dog secured from other dogs. The Seal Beach Animal Shelter, a no-kill shelter adopts most of their pits and pit mixes with the promise of their humans that they will be the only canine sibling of the household because most of their stock is dog aggressive but are lovely toward people. I hate it when the government and the general populous wants to punish the whole of a breed for the bad deeds of a few!
[notify]
» There has since been 43 posts. Last posting by Rondo, Aug 19 1:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Strangers petting your dog
Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 6:35pm PST 
I would let them know that it is not wise to walk up to a dog they do not know and just start petting him without asking the guardian whether or not they can approach and pet. Even if your dog is friendly, I'd tell them that not all dogs are. I would also inform them that a lot of times guardians are trying to train their dogs to greet people in a certain way so permission is actually the more polite way to go if not the safe way to go. And, if they had any questions they should ask the store trainer. I have actually told people this while in Petsmart. Don't worry if they don't like the advice, but is really is unsafe to approach a strange dog and surprise his/her owner. Not only may the dog not like strangers, but surprising the owner could trigger the protection mode of the dog. Our dogs read our emotions so well! Anyway, I hope this helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Molly, Aug 11 1:26 pm

Dalmatian > Dalmation Breeder

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:31am PST 
Why don't you look for a Dalmatian Rescue organization instead and adopt one there? These organizations will try to fit you with the best dog for your situation and will let you return the dog if there are problems you cannot handle. I love kids and since my guardians have trained me I am great with them. I am gentle and I even let them take my leash from my walking partner and walk me without pulling. Save a Dal and he or her will be your dog for life!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dasha, Aug 10 10:31 am

Dalmatian > Miniature Dalmations?

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:26am PST 
I'm sorry, but most of those mini and toy Dals look like they are mixed with something - they don't look like pure bred Dals. Not that I look like the AKC standard - I know that I am a little stocky and I've got a little too much loose skin. And only liver spots and black spots are acceptable colors with the AKC. I am a little puzzled with the people who want to make new breeds instead of concentrating on purifying the existing ones. Or, if they want a challenge, become a foster home that places rescues in good homes. And I don't know of any Dals that don't want to come inside and be with their humans. We really need more homes for existing dogs rather than new breeds and more new dogs. Let's place the existing unwanted dogs in loving homes first!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Mischa, Jan 7 11:35 am

Dalmatian > Where are you from?

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:06am PST 
I don't know what breeder I came from but the family he or she sold me to didn't want me anymore because they never trained me or told me it was inappropriate to puppy bite faces, hands, arms, legs . . . or to jump all over people when I wanted to play or greet them. When I got big they dumped me at the pound. I live in Fullerton, California with a loving couple who still love me when I am mischievous. I have a walking buddy who helped them train me and who plays and loves me and appreciates my intelligence, and while she gets frustrated sometimes, still loves and reassures me.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mickey , Sep 13 10:01 am

Dalmatian > I want to learn more about Dalmatians
Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 12:40am PST 
Yes, I snore sometimes but not others.
I only dig to hide bones and toys and food to eat later. Then I dig them up when I want them.
I love activity - run, walk, swim!
Wherever you go, I want to be there too! I hate being alone!
I am very strong-willed and very intelligent - you have to be consistent and use reward-oriented training, otherwise I will walk all over you.
I do like to push your buttons and/or do what I want to do even though I know it's not what you want.
I have some skin allergies and I am partially deaf. Beware of both these traits in Dals.
Don't leave me home too much alone - I will get into stuff when I am bored.
We Dals need lots of exercise too.
Be sure to do your research on Dalmatians and make sure they are right for your life style. An unhappy Dal makes an unhappy household. That's how I ended up at the pound before I was even an adult.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Austin, May 14 4:03 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.