Postings by Henry

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Grooming > A groomers vent
Henry

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Barked: Sat Oct 9, '10 4:11pm PST 
I love doing cats - they are pretty hilarious. But back to the OP...
As a groomer, I hate the super felt-matted dogs and feel very bad for them, but today I dematted a cocker and am SO glad I did. He did very well for all 45 minutes of it and his cut ended up beautiful. I also dematted a 5 month old maltese a couple days ago and she did great, too. It all depends on the dog - I always get my clients to agree to shaving in the event I can't demat (either because they're too tight, the dog's skin starts to redden or bruise, or the dog is in pain), but about 80% of the time, I will at least TRY. Sure, they should have brushed their dog, but they are more likely to listen to my advice if I work with them and give the cut they want a shot rather than being mean and "well you should have brushed him." Plus, if they love the results, they are more likely to come back. I will absolutely NEVER torture a dog through extremely painful dematting, but if they tolerate it well, it's worth it to me and their owner. Contrary to what some people say, dematting does not have to be painful...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Oct 20 5:22 am

Behavior & Training > Walking other peoples dogs?
Henry

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 7:04pm PST 
I walk one of my grooming client's dogs for her during the work week. The pay is good and it's really easy. I'd say it's probably different for people who don't know you, since you have to have a key, alarm codes, etc., but I've really enjoyed it. Plus, she's hooked me up with some side jobs doing grooming for her neighbors.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bailey (SDIT), Aug 23 4:58 pm

Dog Health > How much does your groomer charge?

Henry

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 8:26pm PST 
Typically, you get what you pay for. I'm re-teaching table manners to a Shih Tzu whose Mom decided that a $10 bath and $25 haircut at another shop beat my price. I had groomed this dog since puppyhood and he had NO issues. She brought him back to me after 6 months and his poor beard was practically dragging the ground because the other place "couldn't do his face." He also began biting for his nails and feet, which he never did. Luckily, he's coming back to his old self. He came in today for his bath and did a lot better, but I have to wonder what would cause that change in behavior. My guess is inexperience and poor quality and handling.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Isabelle RIP, Aug 22 5:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Aghh. I hate people sometimes!

Henry

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 8:16pm PST 
I would probably call the police if someone got in my face and tried to tell me how I was correcting my dog was wrong. Same thing with children. If you see someone wailing on their dog or kid, of course call the authorities, but come on - many people nowadays think spanking is child abuse, yet myself and my brothers (and many of my friends) don't suffer from any kind of "mental scarring" or PTSD or any of that because our parents spanked us. Having not seen what the OP saw, I can't say that it wasn't abusive and over the top, but I can say that some dogs can deal with and respond well to physical correction. My first dog (as an adult) did NOT respond well to physical correction - he was all about diversion and positive association. Henry, being a very stubborn little dog, had to be physically corrected when he began marking behavior indoors. I'm sure bleeding hearts would tell me it's my fault he marked because I didn't neuter him, but that was my choice. Marking was not, IMO, an inevitable and uncorrectable behavior for an intact male. Loud noises, crating, etc did NOTHING to deter him. A well-timed and well-placed pop on the leg he was lifting? Got the message across. And guess what? He isn't "scared to pee" outside, like most folks will tell you happens when you use physical discipline to deter indoor excretion. He pees just fine and quite happily on every vertical surface outside, because he knows he can. I give my dog more credit than that - he does, in fact, know what's acceptable and what isn't. He has also been popped when he failed to listen to a direct command repeatedly and I have taught him the word “shame” as a command to lay down and roll on his back, which refocuses his attention on me and calms him down no matter what he’s doing. Am I a dog guru or am I saying that I know best? Absolutely not. But I know my dog, and training is so much trial and error. Do we, as human beings, make errors in judgment and get over-stressed and out of line at times? Absolutely. If making a scene and embarrassing someone prevents dog abuse, great. But remember that just because you don’t agree with someone’s methods doesn’t make them necessarily wrong. (I’m sure I will get jumped all over for posting this, but my very happy, very loved, relaxed dog is calmly chewing on his bone and asks that you please play nice!)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 19 9:23 pm

Small Dogs > What's in your closet?

Henry

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 7:49pm PST 
Henry has a Saints jersey for game days, a few cute t-shirts for summer, some Christmas clothes (hoodies, t-shirts), sweaters, and a coat. I was never a dress-your-dog girl, but Lord help me, it's too cute. Plus, Henry really does need the extra warmth in the winter when crazy Mommy still wants to run 6 miles a day!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Miss Daisy June, Aug 26 6:23 pm

Small Dogs > Good age to Neuter tiny male poodle
Henry

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 9:18pm PST 
Henry is not neutered, but I'd wait until at least 1-2 years. Marking isn't a "given" with intact males if you train them not to do it. Also, make sure you really want to neuter your little guy. A lot of people tout the benefits but you don't always hear about the risks and problems with neutering (increased incidence of bone cancer, for one).
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 20 12:49 pm

Small Dogs > Harnesses?

Henry

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 9:15pm PST 
I think harnesses give the dog too much leverage. If you start from puppyhood teaching the dog leash manners with a collar, they won't pull. Plus, dogs are typically smart enough to quit pulling before the point of a collapsed trachea. Just IMO.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 7:48 am

Choosing the Right Dog > This blows my mind.... (designer breeds)

Henry

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 7:11pm PST 
I hate hate hate it when someone comes in to my groom shop and tries to talk to me about their "purebred shihpoo" or any other "designer" dog. It makes me even more sick to see breeds with similar health concerns crossed - for instance, "Cavachons" (Bichons/Cavaliers) - great idea, taking two breeds BOTH known for hip dysplasia and patellar luxation and combining them - these folks get me so steamed up! Breeding should create healthy, well-balanced dogs, not veterinary nightmares.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 3 7:49 pm

Dog Health > Bone cancer

Henry

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 6:54pm PST 
Bone cancer, if caught and treated quickly, can be survived. My friend's 9 year old GSD had it in her front leg, it was amputated at the shoulder, and she lived another 4 years. Trust your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Diesel, Aug 6 9:54 am

Dog Health > How much does your groomer charge?
Henry

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 6:46pm PST 
As a groomer, the cheapest service I offer is a Chihuahua bath, which is $22 (includes nails and ears). The most I've ever charged was $150 for a Newfoundland haircut, followed closely by a Std Poodle that was $130. Typically, small dogs bath/haircut/nails/ears is $50-65, mediums are $60-80, and large dogs are $75-120. This is pretty normal in Atlanta.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Isabelle RIP, Aug 22 5:37 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.