Postings by Darcy

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dog Health > Eye Flushing
Darcy

All I need is- Love......

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 10:22am PST 
Darcy's eyes didn't clear up too much. I took her to the vet and she's got medicine deops. But I wil be flushing her eyes with the pollen as thick as it is once she's done with the med drops! Thanks everyone! way to gocheer
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Darcy, May 22 10:22 am

Darcy

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 9:43am PST 
Thanks Chance! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Darcy, May 22 10:22 am

Darcy

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 9:27am PST 
Can I use saline eye flush for humans on dogs? The pollen is thick and their eyes have some crud. I was wondering if I can flush them to help. I did give them both benydryl and that has relieved some of the itching eyes...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Darcy, May 22 10:22 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > HELP! First time with rescue, terrified of people, won't leave kennel.... and more!

Darcy

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:53pm PST 
I would leave the crate, just in case. It's still early and he needs to have a safe place. When people come over just have them ignore him and drop treats. Let him go to them when he's comfortable, yet he has a safe place to go just in case big grin He's going to be food motivated because of the starvation. Rewards with food will be a wonderful thing for him! You may have days when he will "go backwards" Just stop, deep breath and start from the beginning again. One thing about dogs most are extremely resilient and will respond to positive reinforcement with leaps and bounds! way to gocheer
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Leah, Nov 8 5:51 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > HELP! First time with rescue, terrified of people, won't leave kennel.... and more!

Darcy

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:51am PST 
Go and ready the beginning of Darcy's diary. First off remember to breathe! Patience will pay off! When you go to get him out of the crate be calm, take lots of deep breaths through the mouth and out the nose. Don't make direct eye contact, turn your head/body away from him so he doesn't feel threatened. Get some hot dogs, slice it up and the cut into quarters. When you're watching tv toss the treats towards him, no eye contact. Ignore him, but use your side vision to keep an eye on him. Work him into tethering him to you. Give him I used an 8' lead clipped to my belt hoop. That way he can learn to trust. No sudden movements, be calm. If you need help p-mail me. I understand exactly what you're going through and am here if you need me. flowers

ETA: as long as he is comfortable in his crate, let him be. Go buy a 10-12' lead, when he goes outside for potty put him on it. Do not let him use a doggie door. He needs to learn to trust you for his safety. This is alot of work, but you CAN do it! Darcy stayed in her crate shaking for weeks. When we would go outside she would take the lead to the end and go potty. Staying as far away from me as possible. It's been a few years and she still has alot of fears, especially when it comes to people, but she trusts me to come to me for safety. One of the things that taught her trust was I would hand feed her. She would be tethered to me and I would mix up her food, sit on the sofa and put some food in my hand and watch tv. She at when she felt like she could. Trust me she did not starve. Funny, she was rescued from Beaumont, TX, what is it about TX rescues? thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Leah, Nov 8 5:51 pm

Dog Health > Acid Reflux?
Darcy

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 9:49am PST 
Darcy has acid reflux - I lowered her proteins and added a spoon of wet food to her meal and now she's fine. No antacids needed here so far! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Oct 14 4:21 pm

Behavior & Training > Walking along just fine, and then...

Darcy

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 11:59am PST 
Darcy is a shut-down dog. She's terrified of people and things. When she reaches her shut down mode. We go backwards, to where she was last comfortable. She will not, ever, treat outside of the home. Be patient. Breathe and go backwards to where Olive was last comfortable, then take it one baby step at a time. Asher is right, when it comes to reactive/shutdown dogs you go further than normal. Never force her forward, that is when things have a tendancy to go bad. I've been working with Darcy for 3 years and we can only walk to the same cemetary, once in a while we can walk 50 feet further to the swimming hole. On the way back she won't calm down until we reach her comfort zone of the cemetary. Be very patient. I understand getting angry at everyone and everything around them, but this is where the patience comes in. Breathe, outloud. Yawn if you must. Yawning is a calming signal for Olive. When cars/trucks drive by she tucks her tail and shakes. After 2 years of being here she still tucks her tail and shakes but now she stands behind me (I'm off the side of the road) because she trusts me to keep her safe. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Sep 16 2:17 am

Other Barks & Woofs > Finish the sentence.

Darcy

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 8:47am PST 
run up in the woods without a lead. Just let me run free, I swear I'll come back in about an hour! Plleeeeeeessseeee!! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Darcy, Aug 31 8:47 am

Behavior & Training > "You shouldn't take your skittish dog into public places..." *VENT*

Darcy

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 6:50am PST 
I only take Darcy out on very rare occasions. She is terrified of humans. She usually hides behind me and I say, humans were cruel to her and she's terrified. Most people will take a step back, if not I block them or Grunt will step up for a pet! cheercheer Some people will ask me what happened to here, others will walk away shaking their head. The important thing is that I protected Darcy from what scares her and she trusts me with her safety. Not an easy thing to accomplish with a shut-down dog...way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Layla CGN, Aug 28 9:02 am

Grooming > Pine Tar
Darcy

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 6:04am PST 
If I put peanutbutter on her Grunt will NEVER leave her alone! laugh out loudlaugh out loud Thanks guys! Gonna try it today - it's their bath days....flowers
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lola, Jul 16 1:37 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.