Postings by Maxwell

GO!

(Page 1 of 710: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > My dog has been puking blood for MONTHS... help, anyone?
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 8:18am PST 
This is the study often referenced.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23683013
And this is Mary Strauss's article in WDJ about it.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_9/features/dishing-on-d iets_20814-1.html
This page lists some problems that can happen if a diet is deficient.
http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/pet-care/nutritional- problems-with-home-prepared-pet-diets

Also the body has tremendous systems to recycle nutrients plus the mineral vitamin powder put into commercial foods isn't as good for anybody as getting those minerals and vitamins right in fresh food. No study has been done to see if the supposedly low 50% of NRC required zinc in those home prepared diets is fine after all. It just looks low on paper.

Plenty of people are making good quality diets for dogs these days. There are good books on how to do so and even if you don't want to put down $300 to buy the actual NRC 2006 book you can find the old 1986 NRC numbers online which are what most commercial foods are based on in the first place. Or even make up a food from AAFCO guidelines!

I agree, likely the gut is 'just' really irritated at this point in time. Scoping would probably be the best thing to do. As far as the cost, you have put out that much money already with no good results. Things seem to be getting worse and changing I wouldn't mess around with internet speculation.

*I* do wish you could get a vet to test for pylori though. Seems to be a huge resistance in the medical community to accept that bacteria cause ulcers for some reason when studies continue to show it causes the vast majority of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 19 10:05 pm

Dog Health > Any suggestions for how to get dehydrated dog to drink?
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '14 11:25am PST 
Sassy actually had trouble drinking fast enough as she aged but for some reason had no problems drinking a lot of water at meal times. I roughly gauged her water requirement and just added that water to her meals. She was 42 pounds or so and needed a quart a day so she got enough water added to her cooked food to add up to about a quart a day.

Try it, you don't need to float the kibble right away. Add more as long as she will eat it.

Easier than spiking water for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Jun 14 11:25 am

Raw Food Diet > Presley is regurgitating (green Bile?)

Maxwell

Barked: Fri May 16, '14 4:39pm PST 
When does this happen and how is he fed?

Two ideas for you here.

#1 bile vomit.
Max was a frequent bile vomit offender on kibble and we treated it by giving him a bedtime cookie because he vomited in the early morning. On raw he didn't have any trouble eating once a day or even gorge then small meals for several days following. There really is something wrong with him, doubt it is fixable though. Now he is 14 years old had to stop feeding him raw as he would keep us up all night with horrible tummy aches. Feeding cooked helped but only feeding 3x a day is keeping tummy aches away. For now, poor old dog.

If he is waking you up early in the morning when he is fed early evening then a bedtime snack is likely to help.

#2 indigestible object
Are you sure nothing is coming up in the vomit? Max cannot digest cooked cartilage. A few days after he gets some up it comes. Lucky for me I could easily see the offending cartilage and recognized the problem. It isn't much either, the cartilage cap from fried chicken was the culprit once. Since he doesn't get any now this hasn't happened again.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 16 4:39 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Chicken a rice diet. Good? or Bad?

Maxwell

Barked: Sat May 10, '14 8:02am PST 
Absolutely! That is why a chicken and rice diet is not good enough. Chicken and rice plus a little of this and a little of that is good though. Too much of the wrong kind of protein is only a problem for a diseased organ though. Something happened to damage the liver like tick disease or eating something toxic and now the dog needs easily digested proteins like chicken, some kinds of fish, eggs and maybe dairy as part of the diet. To repair any body part protein is needed so feeding less protein is not going to help the dog though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 10 8:02 am

Raw Food Diet > Blood in raw food diet

Maxwell

Barked: Sat May 3, '14 1:13pm PST 
It sure is fine to feed blood! Take it easy and start with small amounts. It is high in iron and probably needs to be fed like an organ, keep it to 5% of the 2% of your dog's ideal body weight for starting out at least. A 50 pound dog starts out with .6 ounces of other organ a day, might start there. And that might just be 1/2 a shot glassful!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 9 7:25 am

Dog Health > Dog refusing to eat
Maxwell

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 4:38pm PST 
Is he drinking? That is even more important than eating.

Baby food is a good idea or meaty broth or congee, maybe making it with broth would be tastier than making it with water. Congee is just cooking a small amount of rice in a lot of liquid until rice is nearly dissolved then sieving it out and offering the liquid. Get a baby syringe to feed him tiny amounts often if he won't take it on his own. If I put a dab of food on Max's nose he will lick it off and sometimes eat a little. Thin down the baby food and be sure it doesn't have onion in it.

It is hard to start eating after a big tummy upset so tiny amounts often may help. Bland is best and starting with liquid foods is easier on the gut too.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:28 pm

Dog Health > Excessive drinking issue - vets stumped!! Any thoughts welcome :)

Maxwell

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '14 2:16pm PST 
Has diabetes insipidus been ruled out?

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_diabetes_insi pidus
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 25 3:56 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Recipe for Calcium Oxalates?

Maxwell

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 7:53pm PST 
Without analyzing this it looks like a great plan. Don't add fish oil and E before hand though, add daily or as seldom as a couple times a week depending on what works for the supplements you have found. B is supposed to taste nasty so better to feed as a pill/capsule and it is best offered daily.

The article in dogaware reports that another strategy is to raise pH of urine with potassium citrate but Leslie Bean reports that nothing changed her dogs' urine pH. What is Zoey's normal urine pH? I am sure you have seen this article but for completeness here is the link.
http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjcalciumoxalates.html#oxalates

Max was delighted to get to eat rice again, cooked food isn't all bad he says. He didn't much like having tummy aches all night long either and that is better now. I don't have any idea why he started with that, just going with what works for a 14 year old dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Calcium Oxalate Crystals on Raw

Maxwell

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 7:26am PST 
Producing oxalate crystals is a metabolic fault, if your dog is going to produce them there will be there some produced even though it seems there are zero oxalates going into the dog. Feeding a super low oxalate diet like raw meat/bone/organ is definitely the way to go. Making sure plenty of water gets into the dog and providing lots of opportunities to void the bladder so crystals don't have a chance to form is the only thing I do.

Well, no. I also have the vet spin fresh urine to be sure crystals aren't forming because the urine is stale! I guess the scare I got was a good thing, now that Max is on cooked food I know to avoid higher oxalate foods. White rice rather than oatmeal or brown rice, squash and cabbage rather than carrots and celery and so on but when he was on raw I didn't see any way I could possibly improve things other than make sure he drank and urinated often.

Number one thing you can do is force fluids and double up on the potty trips. I haven't researched this to find a good source for this so this is hearsay but a poster on a yahoo list wrote that stones start forming within a couple hours so voiding the bladder at least that often should nearly eliminate risk of stones. I don't know about stones forming but obviously crystals form that fast. Since your dog is really susceptible to all sorts of crystals you are going to have to make this part of your lifestyle. Possibly there is a malformation of part of the urinary tract that is allowing urine to pool? Possibly your dog doesn't drink enough water? Max is fine so far but Sassy just didn't drink much. Adding water to her meals helped a lot. Don't know why it was easier for her to drink from a meal bowl rather than water bowl but that was what worked for her.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zoey, Apr 20 10:26 am

Dog Health > Last hope for our dear lab Rio
Maxwell

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 6:24pm PST 
How very very sad.

hug

If it is acute and you are sure it wasn't infectious doesn't that leave poisoning? Antifreeze maybe? I thought the treatment for that was to continue the fluids until things improve which can take weeks. I gave Sassy subcutaneous fluids for a couple years, perhaps you could get a lesson from the vet and do it at home? If her values go up again after she is off fluids then she does need to keep them up.

Poke around dogaware, there is an article on inappetence, not eating as well as all the valuable information on kidney dogs. Perhaps there is something in there you haven't yet thought to do.

I wonder if simply syringe feeding for a few days would get her gut comfortable with food in it. Puree canned dog food, use meaty baby food with no onion, canned green tripe, puree up some pizza.... I know when I had a tummy upset starting to eat again was very difficult. I sat with a timer next to me and took a sip of water or a tiny bite of cracker every 5 minutes. Tedious but it worked until I got sick of doing that and rushed things. Actually I would cook up mushy white rice and skinned chicken breast with some salty broth and puree that, more likely to be easy on the stomach. Ania wrote in the home cooking forum a while back that a mixture of equal parts potato, sweet potato and turnip is easier on the stomach than rice, could try it.

When Max has a tummy ache and I give him slippery elm bark I dab some on his nose, he licks it off and considers whether it makes him feel better or worse. So far he has decided it makes things better and will lick up a little after his little trial. So do try to let her decide if the food works or not as well. Tiny tiny amounts very often.

Please don't give up even if she isn't eating today or tomorrow. Max has some tumors and goes horribly lame every so often and we think this is the end then the next day he greets us at the door with toy in his mouth and a wagging tail. Quite the rollercoaster ride he is taking us on let me tell you. He is 14 and even though I think he needs to stay with me another 14 years it is okay if his time is near unlike your sweet girl. 5 is far too young!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Apr 18 3:10 pm

(Page 1 of 710: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.