Postings by Vladimir

GO!

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Dry mouths??
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '14 9:07am PST 
My borzoi has a very dry mouth. There's never any excess strings of drool or foamy stuff hanging out of his mouth or in the pockets of his mouth waiting to slop on you if you lean in for a kiss, even if he's just run really hard. His kisses are just perfect as well, in my opinion. No slime, foam, or stinkiness. I don't like having slime left on me after a dog's licked my hand or my face - just not my cup of tea.

Even when he drinks, he's not all sloppy afterwards. He drinks his water very politely as well. I just like dryer mouths on dogs. All the borzoi I know are like this as well. lol
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Mar 27 5:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed has the softest coat?
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '14 8:59am PST 
Having worked at grooming shop, I got to see a lot of coats. But, the softest coat I ever felt was an afghan hound.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 30 1:20 pm

Behavior & Training > help me convince my mom

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:36pm PST 
I'm with you on this. If a dog is to be fixed, please wait until he's matured a little more. 4 months old is too young in my opinion and could cause problems for their growth which testosterone plays a part in.

here are some links for pros and cons:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/male-d og-neutering.html#pros-cons-neuter

Here a discussion that happened here on Dogster:

http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/does_having_a_do g_neutered_at_a_young_age_affect_his_growth-22717
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 19 10:21 pm

Puppy Place > I need a name

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:29pm PST 
You have him labeled as a German Shorthair, so, why not a German name? That's what I would do!
http://www.babynamescountry.com/origins/german_boy_baby_names1. html
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vladimir, Sep 19 8:29 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > If you could...?

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:30am PST 
If I had all the land WITH a ton of money and all the time in the world, I'd like to start a rescue. Not sure about a breeding kennel...I would have to get into the show world for that and I'm just not interested. I leave that to more experienced people.

I'd probably start a sighthound rescue (that rescues other breeds/mixed breeds as well) and have a whole bunch of borzoi running around as my personal dogs. lol
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ace, Sep 21 6:29 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm Tired
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:30am PST 
Horrible situation to have someone in the household despise the dog. Everyone should be on the same page with caring for her.
I'm so sorry. I don't know what advice I could offer to help...
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 21 7:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The difference between prey drive & hunting instinct

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:25am PST 
The way I see it:

dogs, being predators all have hunting instincts, prey drive, however, is the level (or how strong) that instinct is. Different breeds were bred for different jobs and in hunting dogs, each breed has their own hunting style. Pointers were bred to do just that, point out the direction of the hidden birds and or flush them out so that the humans can deliver the kill.
Doesn't all work that way though. There are exceptions. Some might go as far as chasing and even catching the birds (that's when the individual personality of the dog itself comes in) But, keeping it basic right now.

And compared to the breed I have, the borzoi, they were bred to chase animals at high speed(hare, fox, and sometimes wolves) and sometimes, hold the prey, keeping it alive, until the hunters arrived. Most of the time, the animals (usually the smaller prey) will be killed, especially if the borzoi are in a group.

So the way I see it, prey drive is how strong or low the hunting instinct is.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by "Selli" , Oct 3 3:16 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed should I get?

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:15am PST 
What previous posters have said: Dogs are not like kids. They are two completely different animals.

Also, most of what you had mentioned about what you want in a breed aren't really breed characteristics. Any dog breed can become afraid of shopping carts on walks. It all really comes down to how you train it.

Though, I have to say that herding dogs are more likely to "get it" with training, but that really comes down to the individual dog's personality as well.

Good luck smile
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jewel, PCD, Sep 20 1:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A Question for the Corgi Experienced...

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 10:20pm PST 
My twin has a corgi and a vallhund - both are great and very sociable. Though, I have to say that we did have one male corgi who wasn't too fond of strangers or other dogs, but he was not aggressive, just preferred not to be around them (moved away and avoided - but, he was a rescue at an older age)

Just remember to socialize your dog as much as possible as you would with any breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 1 11:30 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Which Dog Breed do you have...???
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 10:16pm PST 
Russian Borzoi cloud 9

I also live with my twin who has a pembroke welsh corgi and a swedish vallhund. Great dogs!
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Oct 3 9:13 pm

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.