Postings by Chauncy

GO!

Border Collie > Border Collie Aggression/biting

Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 2:35pm PST 
To update. My niece hasn't required any further surgery. She has a small scar on her upper lip, but not very noticeable. She is however, now afraid and very wary of dogs (small wonder). Her family is addressing her issues in appropriate ways.
Chauncy's situation has not changed, as yet, my brother is working hard to get his house built. They should be able to move in by late April or May. Chauncy will then have more room to run.
In the meantime, my brother's GF's son has had an addition to his family...a new baby. I don't know if Chauncy has been introduced to the baby yet, but I'm thinking that she should keep Chauncy away for right now, since they haven't gotten any further help for the dog.
What do you think?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 10:16pm PST 
Thank you for your insightful posts! I will pass all of the information that has been posted here to to Chauncy's owners.
I have always loved Bordier Collies. They are so smart and beautiful!puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 12:31pm PST 
Boon's mom,
Thanks for your response. I believe you are correct...the little girl was unable to "play" with Chauncy as he is accustomed to, and I think he was frustrated. He has never attempted to use this type of behavior on an adult and is not, by nature, an aggressive animal.
He is very friendly, but somewhat "obsessive" when playing fetch with a ball or frisbee.
I do not condone euthanization, either. My concern was, since this was the second bite report with in one year on the dog, that animal control might insist the dog was a danger to society and require them to have him put down. To date, animal control has not followed up on the incident, so I would guess the report has been closed.
Chauncy remains in the same situation. They do exercise him daily, but in my opinion the situation is not at all the best for him. His owners are in the process of building a home and in a few months Chauncy will have an outside run, so hopefully that will alleviate some of his boredom.
I will encourage his owners to seek help via an animal behaviorist. We certainly don't want this behavior to continue.
Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 10:11am PST 
Thanks for the response Nymphadora. To date we have heard nothing from the animal control officer. A muzzle has been purchased, but as far as I know, no new trainng or behavior modification has been employed.
The little girl's lip is heling well, there is some scaring, though.
Appreciate your thoughts and advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 4:44pm PST 
Hi my name is Chauncy and I am a purebred Border Collie. My auntie is typing for me - even though as a BC I can do everything better and quicker than anyone!
Auntie will now write in here own words!
Chauncy belongs to my brother and his girlfriend. He 3 years old and fairly well trained.
The living situation is less than ideal for Chauncy. They have an apartment in an old house on the first floor. The landlord who also lives on the property has a Rottweiller.
Unfortunately, because my brother and his girlfriend both work full-time, Chauncy is left alone (with 6 cats) for over 8hrs during the week. In my opinion, this is a recipe for disaster with any dog, but because BCs are so active, especially so for Chauncy.
Last Sunday my family came to my home. We had relatives visiting from Missouri and planned to have dinner adn visit. The Missouri relative included 2 young children, ages 7&4. My brother and his GF brought Chauncy with them, and everyone was throwing balls for him. He seems inexhaustable! The youngest child started playing with him after everyone one had finished. She was trying to use the ball thrower, but was unable to work it properly due to her young age. I could see Chauncy getting frustrated, but felt that I shouldn't say anything since his owners were aware of the situation. I went into the house to finish preparing dinner, and the next thing I knew, people were flying around getting towels and ice!
Chauncy had bitten the little girl in the face and torn her lip! Evidently the girl had bent over to pick up the ball and he lunged.
The little girl required emergency surgery that night to repair the bite and may have to have further surgery in the future.
That evening I was called bythe police 3 times and visited by the police once (at 10 pm) to give statements about the attack - even though I am not Chauncy's owner. To date, my brother has not heard from the town animal control officer- and he doesn't intend to call them. (a mistake on his part, I think)
Unfortunately, this is the 2nd bite report on Chauncy. He bit my brother's stepson earlier this year. My brother said he thought Chauncy percieved the boy as a threat and was protecting my brother.
I have counseled my brother and his girlfriend that a muzzle should be used on the dog several times (after I learned of the bite to the stepson and since then). They are "looking " into muzzles now.
Have any of you ever had a problem like this?
I'm worried that Chauncy may have to be destroyed. He's not a bad dog, just needs further training or behavior management.
Any suggestions that I can pass on to my brother?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.