Postings by Finnegan

GO!

Bernese Mountain Dog > Food

Finnegan

Chicago Berner-I- Love SNOW!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 12:55am PST 
I've feed Nutra Brands (EVO and Innova) which are chicken based proteins, but switched over to Merrick brand "Grammy's Pot Pie" flavor, also chicken protein because I wanted to feed an Organic protein due to the high cancer issues out there with BMD's. I figure if I'm eating as much organics to stay away from too many hormones and pesticides I should try and do the same for my dogs. Besides, the Grammy's has a nice coating that turns into a gravey when mixed with hot water which my boys enjoy. Especially since one is not a big eater.

May I ask, why do you want higher protein? Just curious if you've heard something positive about feeding higher protein?

I don't do the raw thing, although people swear by it, but I travel too much and asking others to deal with the hassle of it is too much. Plus, my dogs go on the road with me at times, and it's just too much to deal with.

Good luck. Gail, Finn and Dugan
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lender, Apr 21 6:55 am

Bernese Mountain Dog > Should I Get A Berner?
Finnegan

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 12:49am PST 
Sad to say, BMD's on average do not have a long life span. If that is a big concern for you, I would suggest another breed. BMD's are WONDERFUL dogs, but they have more than their far share of health issues along with that shorter life span...but I look at it this way...while they are here on the earth with us, they give more love and smiles that it all makes it worth it.

Go to the BMDCA.org website...there is a TON of good information. Be sure to go over to the Health page. Don't think that some of the issues won't happen to you, because chances they will and you'll need the love and the money to deal with the issues when they surface. I have two BMD's both from fantastic pedigrees,but I unfortunately hit the jackpot with health issues with both of them. But I wouldn't give them up for the world.

I'm not being negative, but you must be prepared for both the Best and the Worst should it happen.

Good luck. Gail, Finn and Dugan
puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bella, Dec 30 7:06 pm

Dogs & Travel > When crossing the California border...

Finnegan

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 12:40am PST 
If you dog doesn't have his rabies tag, perhaps you can have you vet fax you a copy of the vacination record. Chances are you won't be asked, but better safe than sorry. I've gone out of state via car from CA to NV and AZ and have never been stopped...and I had a St. Bernard at the time!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kodie, Nov 20 8:08 pm

Behavior & Training > We're going to a dog park for the first time...any tips?

Finnegan

Barked: Sun May 11, '08 11:30am PST 
Most dogs will get along at a dog park as long as long as they have equal footing, meaning, they are all off-leash. When a dog is off-leash, they have the ability to (1) defend itself, (2) run away, so as soon as you get to the park, let your dog off leash. Most dog parks are double gated, so after the first gate, let your dog off leash, and then carefully open the 2nd gate and try and get through first yourself and shoo the other dogs away so your dog can get through and have some room to get in.

Most responsible owners who bring their dogs know their dog will get along with other dogs. If you see an agressive dog picking on your dog, don't be afraid to shoo that dog away, as hopefully you will get the attention of the owner who will then grab their dog if it is picking on yours.

Just make sure all your shots are up-to-date, and bring your own water and bowl. I don't like the community bowls as you never know if there are any sick dogs there.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Kelpie, May 13 1:33 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.