Postings by Boo

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Dog Health > Asking for pawsitive healing prayers for Boo: off to vet to investigate throat & neck swelling.
Boo

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 7:42am PST 
Good morning Doggers!

It has been ages since posting last, just a reader recently.

We lost our Lil'Pup tragically last Feb. so naturally I am super hypersensitive to anything that looks cock-eyed in our other pets.

Long story short....
March 11 I noticed that Boo was doing some exaggerated swallowing, he had chomped on a bully stick earlier that evening. I also recall around the same time he jerked himself on his leash and I suspected he had maybe hurt his neck but normal behavior had not been interrupted.

Beef rib bones are also a regular (weekly) treat after his meals. This is a raw fed house and the bones are also raw and meaty.

Still normal behavior, eating, pooping. However I was starting to suspect that his neck was in fact bothering him.

Fast forward to Sunday. We took a huge hike- all normal- Boo showed no abnormal willingness to play and run.

After dinner & within 60 seconds he is tilting his head and aggressively shaking from head to toe. He was in clear distress/pain but I was unable to locate the source. I am figuring his mouth/throat/neck again.
That has since happened after every meal.

We are off to the vet now.
I have only offered goats milk mush on an elevated surface and have done so in very small portions.

Anyone have experience w/ foreign objects? Neck/throat pain causing post-dinner reaction?

BTW- he recovers in about 15 mins
Please send Boo healing prayers!
Thank you!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Amber, Mar 27 7:33 am

Raw Food Diet > chicken feet
Boo

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 10:33am PST 
hello!

raw fed dogs for 4 years, diverse diet, regular recreational bones-( ie. short ribs, knee caps, shoulers) rmb-chicken necks and feet.....

chicken feet were included in evening meal last night, no poop this morning from my younger guy and my husband just sent a message that he had been vomiting frown

is this a classic case of panic? is my worry unfounded-aren't our dogs fully capable of digesting the raw bones of a chicken's foot? my being at work probably has more to do with the worry than the actual issue, right?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 22 4:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Coconut Oil

Boo

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:44pm PST 
whole foods 365 brand here. curious though, how long will it stay fresh upon opening? what about it being stored in plastic?

good advice & good topic, dogster ran info on it's benefits a fews weeks back. i always used it for hair & skin. dogs like it too, will watch to see if it helps the garbage breath.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 9:42 am

Dog Health > Histiocytoma?

Boo

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 8:15pm PST 
It's as though this developed as I am typing this! I noticed a small pea sized, symmetrical, free moving, skin toned growth on my pup's back leg today. My best guess is a histiocytoma, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. My plan was to watch him over the next week for any irregularities.

Anyone know anything of these?shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nakita Mae Angel Girl, Sep 24 9:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > Knee caps?

Boo

Barked: Tue Jul 5, '11 6:21am PST 
Our conclusion........knee caps are delicious, edible, fabulous entertainment, and great exercise! If my guys were larger I might consider them to be a choking hazard, but the one cap was nearly as large as my girl's head. They are covered in tendon, which becomes like dental floss after chewing for any length of time. The boney patella part is softer like joint heads so it crumbles easily. Unlike a weight bearing femur/tib/fib bone, it showed no signs of wrecking teeth or gums. The ones I fed are/would be frozen fresh, I imagine if you buy the smoked variety it would increase the risk of damaging teeth or splintering.

Glad we tried them!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jul 7 11:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Knee caps?
Boo

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 9:43am PST 
Anyone feed these regularly? Are they part of the daily meal or are they a recreational chew? Are they considered wreck bones? What about all that tendon, is that potato chips or can it be calculated into daily requirements?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jul 7 11:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Normal Blood Levels/Ranges for Raw Feeders?

Boo

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 5:08pm PST 
Anyone have a link to or a chart with normal blood levels for raw fed dogs? I had a list of ranges from Dr. Dodds, but I think I lost it in our move. frown

I know the ranges are different from kibble fed dogs, wondering if any of you can share a link???

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maggie NAC WV-N TN-N CTL-3 RE , Jun 27 8:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > Burps or reflux?

Boo

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 11:32am PST 
Do any of you get this?

It's a burp-up of what I imagine to be stomach acid bile terribleness. I notice it in the mornings. There has been a reduction in frequency since eliminating raw turkey,but still see it randomly with bully sticks. Other protein sources are without incidence, a digestive enzyme/probiotic is included in the diet, and I don't think it pertains to an empty belly.

What's the dealy-o?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Jun 24 6:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Leerburg Philosophy training vs. Milan or are they the same? Rehabilitating my dog aggressive dog?\'s

Boo

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 9:00pm PST 
Tiller, thank you!!! You are spot on, thinking the same way we had been! You nailed it, full comprehension as to why I hit the forum with the thread titled as I did. Well done! I have taken notes from the thread for fodder when we meet with the behaviorist/trainer....dare I apply a title to the man who will be working with us to address Boo's beahvior issues??

Some back history for clarification.......

Boo's breed is classified as an ancient breed, no longer recognized by the AKC. The Olde Boston Bulldogge is what today's Boston Terrier was developed from. They have exceptional prey drive for a technically non-working/sporting breed. After my childhood dog passed (at 18!) I began searching for a puppy. Our other girl is a Boston Terrier and we love the breed so we started to look for breeders. After talking to different groups we found our OBB breeder and waited for a breeding and placement into her approved buyer group. Boo was the first puppy in her yard to approach us, he sniffed me out and sat at my feet. I started to implement Leerburg's philosphoy of NILF that same afternoon. We started puppy classes the following week and progressed through 3 different levels of training, the last class was for reactive dogs, and all 3 were positive rewards based. I took him to bi-monthly group social hours, he did not enjoy these. He would follow me around rather than engage with other puppies/dogs, I even tried to leave the play area and he would sit and cry at the doors.

He went for car rides, errands, vacations, hikes, daily walks....ect. It was around 10 months that I started to see him throw his attitude around other dogs, so off to reactive dog training classes. I didn't see much change from that 6 week class.

He is not and never was an outside dog. We had a very nice sized fenced back yard that was tree lined on all sides. We moved to that house & yard when he was 1.5 and as noted moved last week just after his 4th birthday. He has been overly spoiled by myself and sadly I am reeping the damage of that now. I know he's a thinker, I can see it all over his face. He craves structure and wants standards, rules, expectations, and boundaries. Where did I go wrong?? I more or less institutionalized him by having a back yard! He would play fetch for hours and we had a spring pole that would give him all the physical exercise he needed but I stopped giving him the mental exercise he so desperately needed. Bad owner, certainly not a bad dog!

I thank you all again for offering your suggestions. Now I need to work on finding an accountability group that chases after me when I don't post my daily activities! Is there an app for that??....or did I just coin it!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Cain, Jun 30 8:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Leerburg Philosophy training vs. Milan or are they the same? Rehabilitating my dog aggressive dog?\'s
Boo

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 8:01am PST 
Look at the title of the thread. In no way should it be implied that the objective was to go to my back yard and start issuing out physical corrections and/or in the same regard go to the back yard and walk around saying my energy is calm assertive release the dogs I have control of my energy.

I realize these are two different camps, but to me one was seemingly influenced by the other. Internet forums can be similar to car rides in rush hour, people get all stroked and fly off the handle and drive away. Stay in the conversation, it's a debate over methods and training not an arguement or platform for personal attacks. I started the thread to get helpful suggestions on how to begin rehabilitating my dog aggressive dog. You have all drummed up some excellent perspective, which is what I need!

As for an update.....

Husband and I took the evening walk together last night, each of us had a dog. I noticed a decline in Boo's focus and attention on me, he went back to the, I gotta be in front/vigilanty dog. We agreed that we had to stop walking both dogs together. When it is just he and I we have a pretty loose leash and he sits at each street corner. Not sure if he actually knows to do this or if he knows he is going to get a food reward??? I have since decreased the food reward to random street corner sits. I say "YES" when he does what I want, assuming that is an ok marker?

We have a scheduled meeting with a behaviorist/trainer next Monday in our home. We had trained our dogs to use doorbells to alert us of their need to go outside, they have been removed so we can make the back door a dog free area. Boo will sit and wait until he is invited outside. Outside breaks are now leashed, not sure if that is a good or bad idea, but it has made the neighbors less fearful. I persoanlly don't find it necessary due to the fact that the other dogs go inside now when Boo is out.

work in progress.....
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Cain, Jun 30 8:36 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.