GO!

(Page 1 of 126: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Information on Staghounds?
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 3:48pm PST 
I've met Ke$ha and her foster mom, and while she's a DARN cute little puppy, she's definitely not purebred. Doesn't make a lick of difference, since she will make someone a fine little pet with time, patience, and training. I would consider her a dilute merle, very likely from the same merle to merle breeding that produced two very similarly sized 'lethal white' puppies that ended up in the same shelter not long ago. She got off lucky, and doesn't appear to have any health problems, just some VERY unique markings that definitely make her a one-in-a-million doggie.

The reason why you are not finding much info on 'staghounds' is because, like other posters have mentioned, it's not a real breed, but more of a catchall nickname for a mixed-breed sighthound. Other people call them lurchers or longdogs or coldbloods, but they're bred for hunting, so there's no set pedigree or combination of breeds that goes into making them. There are smooth-coated 'staghounds' out there, you just tend to see the wire-coated ones more often. I have met a strikingly handsome blue lurcher that looks like a smooth-coated deerhound, he's from a guy that bred a litter for hunting coyotes.

For your purposes, you might as well approach her training as you would a greyhound pup, and make sure that you screen potential adopters accordingly. Fenced yard, lots of patience, and a firm grasp on positive training are MUST HAVES.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 3:48 pm

Puppy Place > People are Just Rude
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:48am PST 
We get this all the time, people either think the greyhounds are faaaabulous and consider Stella the ugly one, or think Stella's the cutest thing in existence and look at the greyhounds like they're half gargoyle. People will say things without even thinking about how it sounds, and when you have two wildly different looking dogs it will happen ALL THE TIME. Roll your eyes, shrug it off, and remember that YOU think your dogs are good-lookin' and some stranger's unwanted opinion shouldn't mean anything to you. It sure doesn't mean anything to your dog wink
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kayak "Mighty Moose Angel" , Mar 3 9:40 pm

Raw Food Diet > Anyone use emu oil?

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:16am PST 
So you are considering using it as a dietary supplement? I have always thought it was more of a skin conditioner, since that is what most people use it for. One of the KENIC dog shampoos I have is an emu oil formula, and it's good for dry, irritated skin, but I really have never heard of anybody using the oil as a food additive. In my opinion, I'd save it for topical application since it's so darned expensive, and stick with high quality mammal fat and/or fish oil in their food bowls.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brody, Mar 1 12:34 pm

Raw Food Diet > Meat not for human consumption- :?- Does anyone use it?

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:07am PST 
The local supplier I purchase mixes from labels his stuff as 'not for human consuption' just like every other supplier (Hare Today, GreenTripe.com, et al) out there. I feed plenty of 'managers special' stuff too, since that's just about the only way to get affordable lamb/mutton and beef at regular groceries.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Mar 4 6:32 am

Puppy Place > My Greyhound Foster Puppy!

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:50am PST 
She's a cutie, but she's not purebred. If she was found 'stray in a field' here in the Wasatch front, chances are she is from the piece of GARBAGE who breeds greyhounds with something merle and sells them as 'designer' colors. He often dumps his unsellables, and SL Animal Services and the local sighthound outreach groups are left to deal with the fallout. His last two dumps were double merle (aka LETHAL WHITE) puppies with eye defects that were, again, 'found stray in a field' and unclaimed at animal control.

PLEASE contact me privately, I am very interested in helping you with her, as sighthound puppies can be a real handful and should NOT be adopted out to just anyone. She might be cute now, but in another few months she will potentially be 60+lbs of fast, toothy, stubborn puppy, and potential adopters MUST be aware of what they are getting in to. Even people who have ex-racer greyhounds are often unprepared for dealing with a greyhound puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Theodore aka Teddy **CGC**, Mar 1 10:21 am

Raw Food Diet > three weeks of loose stool
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Sat Apr 23, '11 9:18pm PST 
Flagyl is a veterinary band-aid. It'll work short-term but it doesn't FIX anything. If he were my dog, I'd probably do a broad-spectrum dewormer regardless of what the fecal results were, fast him at least a day, then tough-love him out 'til he eats the balanced diet I want him to eat.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 23 9:18 pm

Raw Food Diet > All the health benefits of raw are?

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 8:43pm PST 
My greyhounds still blow coat twice a year based on seasonal and hormonal changes, it has absolutely nothing to do with their diet. Their coat and skin are very healthy though, and they are not as dandery or 'greasy' feeling as a kibble-fed dog going through a similar coat blow. Alas, even after three full years on a prey-model raw diet, I still have fawn, black and white greyhound-hair dustbunnies to vacuum up around this time of year laugh out loud

The benefits of rawfeeding are too numerous to count, at least for me.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Sophie, Apr 21 2:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Coconut Oil

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 8:38pm PST 
Coconut oil can be a great add-in, but for a dog with diarrhea the last thing you want to do is introduce a new fat source.

I use it on cracked paw pads and the nekkid skin on my dogs, it's a great moisturizer and totally safe for them to lick.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Apr 20 3:58 am

Raw Food Diet > what fat do you cut off?

Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 7:29pm PST 
I do not remove fat from any of my dogs' meals. On the contrary, I often ADD slabs of pork fat/skin trim to their meals, particularly when I feed poultry. My dogs do better when they have a good amount of fat in their regular diet. Glossy coat, happy skin, good weights... for them, it's a good thing. I often suggest adding fats to a dogs' diet if they have coarse or brittle coat and super flaky skin, most of my clients show great improvement just by adding fish oil to their dogs' diets, although their results are slightly different since 95% of my clients feed commercially prepared foods.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Adam, Apr 19 8:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > So, what's in your food bowl today!!
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 6:40pm PST 
Tonight was leftovers - some boneless lamb, chicken thighs, and I think a glob or two of pork trim. Tomorrow is tripe and organ blend, NOM!
[notify]
» There has since been 736 posts. Last posting by Buster, Jul 27 5:49 am

(Page 1 of 126: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.