Postings by Cirrus

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Collie > Are Collies yappy.
Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 6:23pm PST 
I believe your collie has excess energy that needs to be vented through daily power walks or jogs. Our collie in her younger years, got 2-3 hours of exercise per day, plus herd dog training once a week. This should challenge your dog and perhaps the barking will be less. I really think exercise is the key, plus teaching your dog to stop when asked (you decide when enough is enough barking). You can start by walking 30-60 min in the morning (before work?), and 30-60 min after work, and a mini-walk before bed, plus play time. Sounds like a lot? That's what your dog needs. Have fun!

dog
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Apr 4 6:23 pm

Collie > Puppy ears tipping and standing?
Cirrus

Barked: Wed Nov 11, '09 1:04am PST 
Cirrus's ears ears did that, and the breeder put some kind of glue on the tips to train them down, but didn't work. We even tried barretts, and Cirrus flicked them off. She's not a "show dog", but she's our champion!happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Nov 11 1:04 am

Collie > What are Rough/Smooth collies like to live with?

Cirrus

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 10:26pm PST 
Keep in mind that dogs have varying degrees of energy despite the breed. Then there are the typical breed qualities. Be sure to evaluate your own energy (low, medium, high, very high), and choose a dog that matches or is lower than your energy. The dog will be much easier to handle.

My experience with Cirrus may not be typical of all collies, but here it is: Easily trained, intelligent, easy-going, happy-go-lucky, calm and submissive, drawn to people and dogs. She is a rough collie with lots of hair and must be brushed regularly to prevent matting. She has a lower prey drive than other collies I've seen herding sheep, and defnitely much less than a border collie or Australian shepherd. I believe collies are considered medium energy dogs, in general, but within that there are always exceptions.

How about getting a copy of Cesar Millan's "A Member of the Family"? There is a huge section on how to choose a dog. It also has important information on puppy development, raising the dog, and how to fulfill his/her instincual needs. Cesar also has a DVD from his Mastering Leadership series called "Your New Dog..." It also tells you what to look for when choosing a dog from a breeder, shelter, or rescue. This DVD can be ordered from cesarmillaninc.com under "products".
snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sunny, Oct 24 8:53 pm

Collie > Does your collie herd?

Cirrus

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 10:13pm PST 
Ooh, two posts in May! Yahoo!

Anyway, nice to hear from you both. Yes, collie are quite intelligent. In fact, sometimes I look at Cirrus, and she seems like the queen of everything! At the herd dog training place (Ewe-topia), the trainers were trying to figure out how to increase her prey drive, like let her grab and tug at a sock filled with sheep wool they had just cut. She had her good moments though, caught on videotape a few times, and then her "who cares, I'll eat sheep poop" attitude (quite embarassing). Still we love her no matter what!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Jun 3 10:13 pm

Cirrus

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 7:47am PST 
Finally, someone answers! Thanks, Amber!big grin

The only one she nips at the ankles is me! When she is in hyper mode, she also unties my shoelaces while I'm trying to walk. Another fun game to her. She also used to take off my socks nibbling at the toes!

Nope, she's not a great herder, but she will play with a group of dogs, and instead of chasing, she cuts them off while they are running. I don't know if that's called herding, but she is strategizing! She does this with her pack mate GSD Rook when he's running in circles chasing the flashlight in the field!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Jun 3 10:13 pm

Collie > Why does our collie sleep away from us?
Cirrus

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 9:47pm PST 
Cirrus is very easy-going, dog-lover, people-lover, the beauty of beauty, etc. She just doesn't seem to have a need to be physically glued to us like our GSD Rook, like when we are sleeping. She is near us, but not ON us, like Rook likes to be! She is laid back and calm-submissive as Cesar says. I didn't mean to give the impression that something is wrong with her.

And YES! I am a follower of Cesar Millan. In fact, he is the reason why Rook follows me everywhere now, because I have learned to be a strong pack leader! And Rook was the reason why I started watching Dog Whisperer regularly. I have many "success stories" to tell about me and Rook. I have followed Dog Whisperer and studied his books and DVDs since discovering him in Season 1.

True - Cesar has had shelties on his show, not collies. I don't know if he has ever helped a collie off-camera, though. However, there are old pictures I've seen on his website showing he had a collie at one time in his pack.

I belong to Cesar's Dogster Pack. I also post and give advice on Cesar's community forum on his website on a regular basis. My transformation into a calm-assertive leader has inspired me to help others. I have worked with people who need help with their dogs.

I have met Cesar a couple of times in Seattle, the most recent being this past January. I can tell you that in person, you definitely can feel his calm-assertive energy just by being in his presence. This last time I was able to have more of a conversation with him, and he was very warm and sincere (and remembered me from the first time we met).

I live Cesar's philosphy about balance everyday. Feel free to e-mail me through Dogster about Cesar if you wish.

wink
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Mar 12 9:47 pm

Collie > are collies meant to stay outside 24/7 year round?

Cirrus

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 12:48am PST 
If they are continuing to be neglected and living in filth, can you keep calling animal control, or get other neighbors to keep calling? I wonder why the owners have dogs if they never get attention. Does this mean you never see them playing with the dogs or walking them? Is there poop everywhere? Do the dogs look or behave unhealthy? Are they in kennels or out roaming a yard or field? Do the dogs play together and seem friendly when you approach the fence? Can you take pictures and videos to show animal control, or any other supportive group? What have you said to the owners to bring this to their attention or change their attitude or lifestyle? Have you offered to adopt the dogs?

The answer to your question: In the old days of wild dogs, sure. Nowadays with humans, no. Dogs need the order of a pack, and we are responsible for being the pack leader, and provide exercise, discipline, and affection; rules, boundaries, limitations; food, shelter, and medical care. This is what I believe based on Cesar Millans philosophy. I believe these things regardless of the breed. So, even though a collie can be easy-going and friendly, they still need to be fulfilled with the above concepts.

Also, this forum is not very active . So, you may want to post where more of the general Dogsters can see your question. As you can see, I posted a couple of topics, but no one has responded for a long time!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by shelly, Mar 1 7:33 pm

Cirrus

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 11:33pm PST 
Is there a collie out there that will answer this post??? It's been awhile. Come on now, the GSD group is more active than this! Hello? Helloooooo out there? blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Jun 3 10:13 pm

Collie > Why does our collie sleep away from us?

Cirrus

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 11:31pm PST 
Just wondering, because Cirrus has always been this way: When she chooses a place to rest, she lies down away from us most of the time. When we get too close to her, she yips and moves away, even if you just moved your toe! Does your collie do that?

In contrast, our black German shepard Rook is like glue to us, following me everywhere in the house, and always wanting to be close to us to the point of leaning against us, or on us, in the bed, and cries when he can't be near us.

Plus, when we walk the dogs off leash, Cirrus tends to sniff, snoop and wander and not really aware of how far she's going, seemingly so focused on the smells that she doesn't know how far she's getting, and then Rook stops for her. Rook, on the other hand, wanders a little bit, then runs back to his pack leaders.

Is this just how collies tend to be? And why they say GSDs are really loyal? I wonder if GSDs are more pack-oriented with a higher need to be with the leader than collies? Hmmm...dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cirrus, Mar 12 9:47 pm

Collie > Hi, I am Ella
Cirrus

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 11:20pm PST 
Ella, welcome! What a beautiful dog! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Apr 17 7:29 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.