Postings by Dottie!

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Behavior & Training > Sooky La La
Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 1:18pm PST 
I agree 100% with Riley. Ignore it, and it will stop. But be patient.. it won't happen right away. It may take a few days or a couple weeks. Don't give in, even to SHH!.. because that provides the attention she's looking for. Turn a deaf ear, and once she realizes it's not getting her anywhere, she should stop. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 7 5:09 am

Dog Health > tick problem
Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 5:12pm PST 
Are you using any type of preventive/repellent/parasite killer, like K9 Advantix or Frontline?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI, Jun 7 1:13 pm

Behavior & Training > For those with mulitple dogs, differences between them

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 5:16pm PST 
Night and day.

Mingus is high-strung and nervous - Dottie is as easy-going as they come.
Mingus, while he's come a long way, still is very shy and fearful of strangers - Dottie has never met a person she didn't like.
Mingus is polite when meeting other dogs - Dottie can be a bit pushy, but is always friendly.
Mingus was never destructive - Dottie was.
Mingus tests limits in typical husky style - Dottie, though not as well trained, is actually more obedient, if that makes any sense.

I think they've both learned a lot from the other, though, in good and bad ways. Dottie is very excitable and gets Mingus more riled up than he used to get. Dottie learned quickly how to behave in our home by watching Mingus. And even though they're siblings and pester each other accordingly, they seem to really enjoy playing together and having the other around.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dottie!, May 18 5:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Jazz is great untill...

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 4:17pm PST 
That sounds exactly like Dottie when she first came to us! She was a complete basketcase when she'd see other dogs... always friendly, but so barky and excited that everyone was scared to approach her.

Have you tried Jazz at a dog park or doggy day care? With Dottie, we found that she wasn't crazy and spastic when we took her to the park -- she was happy to finally get to run around, off leash, and meet all the other dogs. Getting to play with dogs off leash helped relieve the frustration she felt on the leash when she wasn't allowed to meet and play with every dog she saw. Once we started taking her once a week or so to the dog park and/or day care (or a play date -- anywhere she could play with dogs OFF LEASH), her behavior on leash improved VERY rapidly. Once she realized that she WOULD be getting chances to meet and play with other dogs, she stopped feeling the need to act like a complete lunatic every time she saw another dog. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jazz , May 14 7:39 pm

Food & Nutrition > Seperate feeding

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 3:09pm PST 
I don't really see any other way than to feed them separately, which would mean starting your older dog on scheduled feedings, too. thinking Lily has good advice. It might take a few days for your older dog to get used to having a set amount of time to eat, but he'll get used to it (and even if it means not getting to "finish" a few meals at first, he'll survive.) We feed our 2 dogs in two separate rooms to avoid Dottie's occasoinal resource guarding issues and so they don't feel like they have to chug their food (although they usually do, anyway. confused)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dottie!, May 14 3:09 pm

Dog Health > White foam
Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 12:08pm PST 
If it's consistently happening in the middle of the night or early morning, and it's always that whitish foam, it sounds like the result of an empty tummy, vomiting bile. In my experience, this happens a lot with growing puppies. big grin Maybe you could up the midnight snack to a whole treat, or move suppertime a little closer to bedtime? way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Layla, May 4 2:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Oh, It\'s OK...NOT!

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 9:55am PST 
Remember, some people say "It's all right" when it's really not, it's just that they don't want to be rude, either! So I don't feel bad saying something like "Thank you for being so patient," and then asking their help in dealing with the behavior, such as asking them to ignore the dog, or whatever the case may be.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Feb 10 12:57 am

Behavior & Training > New puppy got car sick!

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '09 12:14pm PST 
I had a puppy once who got very carsick, too. I had to time when I fed her around whether we would have to drive anywhere that day... as long as I didn't feed her within 3-4 hours before a car ride, she wouldn't throw up... but she would still get very woozy. Putting her inside a crate in the car seemed to help some (plus made cleaning up the puke easier and quicker!), but that might depend on the dog, I guess. The good news is that she did grow out of most of her carsickness as she got older, which I think is common.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 12:46 pm

Behavior & Training > New to our home some advice. Please

Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 12:32pm PST 
How old is she? How long is she able to hold it (or not hold it)?

How many times a day is she going? If she's going often (based on her age), any chance there is a medical reason?

How big is the crate? Is it big enough that she can pee in it and then just move to another part of the crate?

How long has she been in your home? Dottie was housebroken when she came to us, but due to the shake-up in her routine (and ours), she had a couple of accidents those first couple of days.

And I don't know how well you know her previous family... but just because they said she was housetrained doesn't mean she was. People tell all kinds of little white lies when rehoming a dog... not even to be malicious, sometimes just because they think it's what you want to hear (or what they believe is true).

And even if she was housetrained at her previous home, dogs don't generalize very well... meaning just because she was housetrained THERE doesn't mean she's housetrained automatically at YOUR house. Taking her back to step one in housetraining, as if she were a little puppy, will help her learn the routine for YOUR home.

Edited - typo
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kahuna, Feb 1 1:46 pm

Behavior & Training > in need of encouragement...
Dottie!

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 11:12am PST 
You've already gotten lots of great tips. I was just going to say be patient, and keep at it, and you'll eventually see results. Keep giving Maya exposure to controlled but stimulating situations, and she'll get better and better.

Dottie used to act like a complete freak of nature every time another dog was in sight, barking and bucking wildly around to try to get to the dog to meet and play. (We had to buy her a special harness that's escape-proof just to go on walks.) We suffered through a Basic Obedience class where she spent about 87% of the class time barking at the other dogs. We took her to the dog park even though we knew every head would turn to watch us in the parking lot because she'd be screaming at the top of her lungs. big laughbig laugh

BUT all those situations, and the interactions with other dogs, helped her get over her excitement and calm down A LOT. She barked WAY less in the last class by the first. She occasionally gets stirred up on a walk, and she still has to wear her special harness, but things are MUCH less dramatic than they were, and are still getting better. We're now able to take Dottie to large dog events and walk around meeting and greeting, Dottie completely calm and having a good time. So just be patient and give Maya time. big grin But it can take time... Dottie was with us a few months before we really got to where we were seeing a turnaround in her behavior in public situations.

The key is to not give up, and keep practicing, even when it's embarrassing or frustrating. If you have access to doggie day care, or know people with dogs you could schedule play dates with, having lots of doggy interaction really helped Dottie get over her need to HAVE to play with EVERY doggy she meets. Going to a class can also provide a controlled environment to work on distractions, plus provide more socialization and interaction. Going to a pet store that allows dogs on off hours (i.e., less crowded) can also provide a good controlled but stimulating environment.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Misty, Jan 29 9:26 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.