Postings by Chewy

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > a sore that won't heal-Skin Cancer?
Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 12:51pm PST 
Call me crazy but this also sounds like it could be a spider bite. They start out as a small soar and then turn black and scabby sometimes. Just something else to consider! I hope you are feeling better soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chewy, Apr 19 12:51 pm

Puppy Place > Mia almost died last night
Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '08 3:33pm PST 
Wow! Thank goodness Mia is OK! We pups can sure get into a lot of trouble if you aren't watching us. I would have been beside myself but I'm so glad everything is OK now.

I also do not use collars in the house. Yes, they are dangerous but my dogs all chew them off each other! So it gets pretty insane to replace collars on 3 (well, there are 4 dogs now) every day!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 4:28 pm

Puppy Place > i'm a disaster....help my mom!

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 12:14pm PST 
Are you praising/rewarding him like crazy when he chews on his toys? When he chews on stuff he's not supposed to, are you interrupting him and replacing the item with one of his toys and then praising/rewarding? This is the only thing that worked for me for all my dogs! You have to teach him what you want. Right now, at this age he thinks the whole world is his to chew on and doesn't know he's doing anything wrong. You can crate him when you can't watch him until he gets the hang of what you want from him. Just be patient and consitent. Chewy is 10 weeks old and already knows to chew on his toys and not my furniture! Now shoes... shoes are a different story... Ah, the joys of puppyhood! big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Kinnick, Apr 27 12:17 pm

Puppy Place > What type of food do you feed your puppy?

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 12:07pm PST 
I feed a combination of Canidae dry and homecooked to all my babies. I used to feed Canidae Platinum to my adult dogs but with Chewy around and everyone stealing each other's food, I had to switch to the All Life Stages for a while. I also really like the Chicken and Rice formula which is higher in protein and therefore, great for puppies but I felt that was a little too much protein for my adults.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 6:03 pm

Puppy Place > Food allergy - already!!

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 11:59am PST 
May I recommend Canidae Lamb Rice Formula? This is a great quality food with NO extra ingredients for fillers or really anything your pup can be allergic to. It's also really easy to digest and great for sensitive tummies. The Chicken & Rice formula has 26% protein which is what most puppy formulas have but I'm not sure about the lamb. If the food is really high quality, anything over 24% protein should be fine. I am being raised on a combination of Canidae and home cooked. My coat is gleeming and I am as healthy as can be!

It would be surprising if you really were allergic to chicken and not some other allergenic fillers found in most common dog foods. I guess some dogs can be allergic to chicken but most do metabolize it very well.

Wellness also makes a line called "simple solutions" which is a low ingredient, hypoallergenic formulas with different protein sources.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by molly , Apr 15 8:43 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need your opinion! HELP!
Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '08 7:58am PST 
I am 100% with Josie! I'd refuse them, too but that's just me. There HAS to be someone more responsible out there that would be willing to adopt this dog and won't risk it's life with this sentiment that they can train it that well. No dog would ever be 100% predictable in that situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Arko, Apr 13 3:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Do you favor one?

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '08 7:54am PST 
I love all my babies so much! However, each one is different and my relationship with each one is different, too. I can't say I love one more than another but I have a deeper relationship with Taffy. I think that's mostly her doing though. Doozer and Liberty are just more independent and are always off doing their own thing. Whereas Taffy is very affectionate and pretty much in my personal space as much as she can be. So she seeks out more attention from me and then gets it because she's ALWAYS right there. lol I have to go out of my way to hunt down Liberty and Doozer to give them affection, which I do, but it's not as easy to spoil them. Chewy is also now becoming my other little love bug and he gets more attention right now than anyone do to his being such a young puppy. He is also very attached to me and is more affectionate to me than Doozer or Liberty.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Buddy, Apr 12 12:34 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > I\'m a Cooking Nightmare and in Desperate Need of Some Help!!!

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 1:28pm PST 
You could try a "pre-mix" which is a base that you can just add your choice of cooked protein and veggies to. You will also need to add some healthy oil for fat and calories and an EFA supplement. I just use omega 3 fixh oil pills for this. Some premixes already have the veggies and you just have to add the meat. When the proper ratio is added, the mix creates a nutritionally balanced meal. Some are made for suggested use with raw but you can also cook the protein. Raw is not for every dog but is ok for some. If you have any doubt, cooking the protein kills any bacteria from store bought protein sources and is more metabolizable. I do homecooked with a premix. It's so easy! I make enough for 3 days at a time so I don't have to cook every day.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 1:04 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > HIGH-KILL SHELTERS

Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 12:17pm PST 
Great work! Here is my list:

All in NC

Harnett County Animal Shelter - Lillington, NC
Franklin County Animal Shelter - Louisburg, NC
Columbus County Animal Shelter - Fayetteville, NC (Gasses)
Yadkin County Animal Shelter - Yadkinville, NC (Gasses)
Robeson County Animal Shelter - St Pauls, NC (Gasses)
Johnston County Animal Shelter - Smithfield, NC (Gasses)
Bladen County Animal Shelter - Elizabethtown, NC (Gasses)
Wilson County Animal Shelter - Wilson, NC
Wayne County Animal Shelter - Goldsboro, NC

I'm sure there are many, many more but these are the ones I personally know for a fact are euthanizing quite frequently. The time span on these shelters begore euhanizing ranges from about 3 days to a week. Some of them, will instantly euth "aggressive" breeds such as pits, rotti's etc and they aren't ever put for adoption. Harnett has this policy and I think Wayne County, too. Very, very sad.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Jan 6 6:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Pit bull question.
Chewy

CHEWY - Adopt me!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 11:02am PST 
Some pits are fine with cats and dogs and others aren't. Many of them do have high prey drives toward other smaller animals, ie. cats. The problem with a puppy is that you don't know the temperament you are going to get. Your pup could grow up to be fine with cats and other smaller animals or reach maturity at 2-3 years old and turn animal aggressive (a common pit bull development). Adopting one gives two main advantages:

1) You will be saving a life and there are MANY purebred pit bulls and mixes at shelters. They are not often adopted and a huge majority of them are euthanzed.
2) You will know the temperament of a slightly older dog and know that he/she is or isn't ok with cats and other dogs.

That said, I do have 2 pit bull mixes that LOVE my cat. They are a wonderful breed in the hands of a caring and responsible owner who knows their limitations and potential.
Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Apr 18 10:55 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.