Postings by Fun On The Run Kennel Racing

GO!

(Page 1 of 106: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > Harness Help
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 10:37am PST 
The harness I use for racing/skijoring/hiking is a buggy style harness http://bettercompanion.com/Store/products/buggyharness.html

They can be purchased at http://bettercompanion.com/Store/skijor_mushing.htm

The buggy style was originally designed for skijoring I believe, so it's meant to pull more off the top of their body than a traditional x-back harness. If you're worried about your dog backing out, I've added a 8-12 inch line that attaches to the ring on the harness and I clip it to my dogs collar when they're running so if they do back out they're still attached to the harness/line. I have heard from people that they think this style harness limits their dogs strength/pulling ability but I've never seen it in my dogs. If anything, they pull better with this than a more traditional harness.

Feel free to message me with any questions!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 3:45 am

Sports & Agility > Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 12:35pm PST 
I have a 30 pound husky/sled dog that I run in a buggy style harness when skijoring. I buy mine from bettercompanion.com and I don't remember what size I got her, but if you talk to Frank and Claudia I'm sure they'd be able to figure it out for you smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Apr 18 4:11 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Iditarod Dog's Fate Unclear After Attacking Child

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 12:04pm PST 
This topic has been a huge debate in the mushing community this year. I know Jake, and he's a nice guy. I agree, the mother was very negligent in letting her children run loose around the dogs. If you put a child in a pen with one or two sled dogs, and one of them knocked the kid down so it started crying, do you think the dogs would stay away? No, of course not. It's pray, and it's crying. Even if a dog was in a kennel they would still have attacked that child because they do have a very high prey drive. It just so happens that these dogs were chained, and one of them broke it's chain.

It's a very sad situation for the family of the child, and the child herself. She now has permanent damage on her body, she'll probably never be able to sing, and everyone is focusing on "it's the dogs fault for being chained" which is just wrong. Sorry, but I've been debating this subject with mushers all summer, and it's most certainly not the dog's fault.

If you ever have questions about the supposedly 'horrible' conditions our dogs are kept in, come talk to me. I'll show you my beautiful, happy, healthy family members hanging out in my backyard.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 11 12:22 pm

Alaskan Husky > Please help save Alaskan Huskies from abuse.

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 7:29pm PST 
I've never seen evidence of the supposed cruelties mentioned here, and the person who runs the 'Sled Dog Action Coalition' lives in Florida and has never actually witnessed the Iditarod, or even seen sled dogs in action in Alaska. As a musher who's raced for over 13 years, this post is crazy. I've worked for two Iditarod champions, and I've raced against even more, and they all take incredibly good care of their dogs. The dogs won't run if they're not healthy. Of course, there are bad apples in every sport, like Lance Armstrong in his sport. But you cannot judge all cyclists on one person's actions with doping, so why would you except us to stop racing dogs when one person is messed up in the head and mistreats their dogs?

As for Lance's dog, I cannot imagine a vet letting the dog continue racing if they knew that had happened to the dog. For example, this year one musher had a dog who's heart rate was elevated, and the musher wanted to continue racing it because the dog was scared of the vets and that's why it's heart rate was elevated (sled dogs can be quite skittish around big men, and these vets were men) but they forced him to drop the dog anyway, out of concern for the animal's health. There is at least one or two vet's in every checkpoint, and they always look at every dog when the musher stops.

Thank you for this list of everyone who sponsors the Iditarod, I shall be sure to send them a thank you message for their continued support of the race. Especially since I plan to run it myself in 2016.

Any questions about dog mushing and the supposed cruelty the dogs undergo, feel free to send me a message, I can tell you anything and everything you want to know.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Khuno, May 14 6:48 pm

Sports & Agility > Iditarod dog buried alive in snow.

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:37pm PST 
That dog died because the weather was bad and they couldn't fly dogs out as often as they should have. There were over 135 dogs at Unalakleet at that point, and the volunteers were doing their best to keep them cared for. It was a tragic accident, and other dogs were buried under the snow but didn't die. Iditarod has already had a meeting with the musher whose dog died, along with all possible members of the Iditarod Finishers Club, and they have already agreed on a way to proceed forward next year that will change the way the dogs are cared for in the major hub checkpoints like Unalakleet. http://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2013- IDITAROD-PRESS-RELEASE-RESULTS-OF-THE-IDITAROD-TRAIL-COMMITTEE%E2%80 %99S-INVESTIGATION-INTO-THE-DEATH-OF-DORADO-AND-POTENTIAL-MITIGATION -MEASURES.pdf?d0edd7

Also, I've worked for two champion mushers and had a job offer from another champ, and I've never seen cruelty like Khuno's owner suggests. I've lived in Knik, Alaska which is arguably the dog mushing capitol of the world, and never saw any cruelty happening. I've been racing dogs for over 13 years and I know the dogs love it, and the mushers take incredibly good care of their dogs. Here's a video of this year's champion team soon after finishing this year's race. Tell me these dogs are abused. https://www.facebook.com/seaveysididaride/app_57675755167?ref=ts

Feel free to message me with any questions regarding dog racing. There are bad apples in every area, and they give a bad name to the people who do good things.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Khuno, May 15 6:28 am

Sports & Agility > Safe or not?

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 11:03am PST 
Personally I like bikejoring with the buggy style harness (seen here: http://bettercompanion.com/Store/products/buggyharness.html ) because it doesn't put pressure on the dogs hips and back like a regular x-back harness would. They can be kinda expensive though, while x-back cost less. It really depends on what you think is best for you and your dog though smile I hope you have fun!
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Fun On The Run Kennel Racing, Sep 4 11:03 am

Sports & Agility > Bikejoring Harness

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 9:55am PST 
I love using the buggy style harness, because it doesn't put stress on their hips and is easy to put on and take off smile I got mine from www.bettercompanion.com
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Apr 30 7:12 pm

Dog Health > HELP! Tramadol, Torbugesic, & Robaxin??

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 12:39am PST 
All I know is that my dog Pork Chop is currently on Tramadol when he needs it for pain, and when I give him one he's completely out of it. Last night he had a Tramadol and half a Rimadyl and he just laid on the carpet with glassy eyes and would barely perk his ears when I said his name. I think it's a bit extreme, so I'm trying to avoid giving him any more of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fun On The Run Kennel Racing, Mar 26 12:39 am

Sports & Agility > Biking Harness!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 12:34am PST 
Racing booties are usually made of either polar fleece (which is almost entirely out of use now) or cordura fabric because they're lightweight and still protect feet well. An easy place to buy booties if you don't want to make them yourself is dogbooties.com or coldspotfeeds.com smile I would suggest buying booties with stretch velcro closures, because it allows you to put the bootie on tight enough that it won't come off, and if you put it on too tight the stretch velcro will loosen up while they're walking/running.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by LuLu, Nov 20 8:17 am

Sports & Agility > Biking Harness!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 5:39pm PST 
Yes, the g-cells attach with a little red tie that I have had come undone multiple times :/ It's not fun to stop and see a dog keep running...anyways, I just had to keep an eye on the harnesses and make sure the knows were tied securely. The g-cells are probably best if you don't want your dog actually pulling, because they are difficult to back out of and will not rub on their skin smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by LuLu, Nov 20 8:17 am

(Page 1 of 106: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.