Postings by Trixie

GO!

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Any suggestions for how to get dehydrated dog to drink?
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '14 4:44pm PST 
If you force liquids into him with a syringe and he coughs or chokes, he could wind up with aspiration pneumonia, which is very serious. The best bet is to flavor his water with some chicken broth (home-made with no added salt is best).
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Jun 14 11:25 am

Behavior & Training > Please help us
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 5:07pm PST 
Try to walk her at hours when you are less likely to run into other dogs in your neighborhood. The less she "practices" her leash aggression, the easier it will be to change her behavior. I know it's probably easier said than done, but truly, this is the first step to being able to change her behavior.

Next step would be to begin training the look at that game. This link has a pretty good description of how to do this, along with other helpful suggestions.

http://clickerleash.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/look-at-that-a-coun terintuitive-approach-to-dealing-with-reactive-dogs/
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Apr 28 8:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Helping the Insecure Dog

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 7:06am PST 
Known Facts:

1. your dog has been attacked or nearly attacked a few times.
2. He does not care for high energy dogs getting in his space
3. He will give several appropriate warnings to back off- head turn, lip lift, soft growl
4. He will not continue to tolerate a high energy dog who continues to get in his personal space.

Possible Intervention:
1. Control any high energy dogs around him, especially after he has turned his head away, lifted lip, and growled at them. What else is there left for him to do to but escalate his warnings to a bite? If you do not make his environment "safe" he feels that he has to do that himself.

I agree that not letting go during the bite was excessive force on his part when an airsnap or a quick bite would have worked, but not all dogs read the doggie communication hand manual. Your dog was clearly very aggravated and perhaps even fearful of what was going to come next (a potential attack in his experience?) when the other dog attempted to mount him, so he went straight to bite and hold the fourth time his space was invaded (mounting).

A behaviorist will help your dog learn to become more comfortable around other dogs, however no dog should have to put up with another dog repeatedly trying to engage it when it has clearly said "no, not interested" several times. That is when the humans need to intervene, because the next step will be escalation.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 5:21 am

Behavior & Training > Golden Retriever showing Aggression

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sun Feb 23, '14 12:06pm PST 
Have you asked the breeder for advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 23 5:28 pm

Dogs & Travel > Traveling 3100 miles with 7 animals in one car

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Feb 17, '14 5:12pm PST 
What about a fifteen foot long line for potty breaks? My concern would be that the flexi puts a small amount of tension on the neck, which might distract your dog from pottying if she's the sensitive sort. Or maybe since she is a Saint and so big, she wouldn't notice the tension. Hard to tell. Maybe you could buy a leash and see if she'll potty with it before you have to actually leave for the trip.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 23 5:03 am

Grooming > best brand of de-matting tools
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 5:15pm PST 
thank you all, for your responses. Has anyone used Show Sheen? I was told that this is a good spray for helping work out tangles and matts.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 30 6:49 pm

Grooming > best brand of de-matting tools

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 6:58am PST 
Our vet was mentioning that there is a tool you can buy which helps "cut through" mats as you brush. We have an undercoat rake, but I think she was talking about something that had sharp edges that would help break the matt apart as you brushed. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brand, and what the name of this tool is? Our dog is about 50 pounds, and is double coated.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 30 6:49 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Moxie is at the bridge now

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 5:57pm PST 
I am so sorry about Moxie. She has her wings now. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bismarck - *1989 - 2002*, Jan 14 7:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Working with an unmotivated dog

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 9:39am PST 
First and foremost, being that the dog is new, he needs some time to adjust to his new home. After that, I would say that if the dog was never worked with, or if he was "corrected" by his former owner for an incorrect response, he might not want to engage in training because he wants to avoid offering a wrong response. I don't think this will necessarily show up as fear, just an unwillingness to go out of his way to try to figure something out.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Noah, Nov 19 5:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Training methods for a dog to stop "paying attention" to cat
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 7:32am PST 
Karen Pryor has some ideas for this with a clicker.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1403
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Trixie, Nov 9 7:32 am

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.