Postings by Tucker

GO!

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Last hope for our dear lab Rio
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 5:24pm PST 
Not sure what anti-nausea medication your dog is on, but if she's not doing well on one, why not ask the vet if you could try a different one? Our senior who passed away in January, also lost protein through the kidneys. Even though his creatinine was always normal and his bun was only slightly elevated, he would not eat without his anti-nausea medication. Initially Cerenia worked well for a few months, then it stopped working. At that point we switched to ondansetron, which is a potent anti-nausea medication often used with chemo patients. Human pharmacies often carry the generic version. There is a pretty wide dosage range with the ondansetron, so it might need to be adjusted once or twice to find what works for your dog. My friend also had a dog in acute renal failure, and ondansetron is what worked for them.

You could also ask your vet if he/she feels sub q fluids might be helpful. Even though our dog's BUN was never astronomical, sub q definitely helped him hang in there for several more months. Our dog was also on Pepcid for a few years, then Prilosec for the last year, to help with excess stomach acid which can also affect appetite.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Apr 18 3:10 pm

Dog Health > Dog hates Subcutaneous Fluids required every other day
Tucker

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 5:39pm PST 
We had to give daily fluids to our dog for an issue other than kidney disease, so we were able to use ham as treats during the process. You'll need to use a low phosphorous treat for a kidney dog, but other than that difference, the video link below shows how we got our dog to not only tolerate, but look forward to his daily sub q fluids. We also swear by Terumo needles.

http://dennisthevizsla.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/the-adventure-of -the-ham-plate/#more-9470
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Mar 10 5:39 pm

Dog Health > Flagyl/Metronidazole Long Term for IBS?

Tucker

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 7:37am PST 
If you suspect your dog has IBD, there is a wealth of information over at IBDogs on Yahoo groups. IBD is diagnosed by scoping. If your dog has IBD, it is NOT something you want to fool around with. You really need to know if this is what your dog has, and then to look at your treatment options to get GI inflammation under control. Left untreated, IBD can cause thickening of the intestinal walls, and it can become a nightmare to deal with. And yes, many people prefer Tylan for long term usage over metronidazole. Many people feel that metronidazole has the potential to cause neurological issues with long term usage.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Feb 6 3:57 am

Dog Health > Kidney Disease dog not eating!!

Tucker

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 5:33pm PST 
You can ask your vet if sub-cutaneous fluids would help. Many owners do sub-cutaneous fluids at home when the kidney values rise so high that the dog is eating poorly.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Jan 13 1:53 pm

Dog Health > Going crazy trying to find out what's wrong with my poor dog :(

Tucker

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 4:00pm PST 
If you're thinking along the lines of autoimmune, this is a great site to get all kinds of information regarding the different types of autoimmune disease.
http://cimda.co.uk/smf/
[notify]
» There has since been 62 posts. Last posting by Foxy, Oct 9 12:46 am

Dog Health > Licking, Gulping, Panting at Night -- Solved
Tucker

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 9:33pm PST 
I have two thoughts. First one is, have you tried any medication for nausea? Just because he isn't vomiting, doesn't necessarily mean he isn't feeling nausea when he is uncomfortable. You could ask your vet if you could try something like Cerenia or Ondansetron. If it works, it will work quickly.

My second thought, is at nine, your dog is a senior. Have you tried something like Cholodin? I have a dog who developed neurological spasms at age nine, and he is almost 15 now. His spasms are way less frequent and intense, and he is much more comfortable at night. I attribute a lot of that to the Cholodin, as well as the chiropractic care he gets. The chiropractic adjustments had a pretty immediate effect of lessening the severity of his spasms, and the Cholodin definitely helped him feel less anxious at night.

Just my two cents... smile
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Aug 30 9:33 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Tax on prescription meds?

Tucker

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:58pm PST 
I have noticed that some pharmacies in California charge tax on prescriptions for pets, and some do not. I tried to google what the official California state tax law is as it applies to pet prescriptions, but cannot find anything specific. I was wondering if anyone knew? One pharmacy told me that the vet does not charge tax on prescription meds, but outside pharmacies have to, however I've noticed that not all outside pharmacies do, so I am confused.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Jul 16 5:58 pm

Senior Dogs > Doggy Dementia

Tucker

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:12am PST 
You can try Cholodin. It has been very helpful for Tucker. http://www.amazon.com/Cholodin-Canine-50-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B00076H STS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_6
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Happy, Jul 25 8:36 am

Dog Health > do you buy meds other than at the vets?

Tucker

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 10:46am PST 
For medications we use every month, we have to order on-line or we'd have gone broke a long time ago! For thyroid medication, we order from Drs. Foster and Smith, for sub q fluids (free from the plastic softener DEHP) and Terumo needles (ultra sharp, thin wall) we order from Thriving Pets. For Frontline, we go to Costco. For any human meds that the dogs are on, we use our local human pharmacy.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Jun 22 10:32 am

Dog Health > Basset Hound - Senile?
Tucker

Barked: Sat May 25, '13 2:53pm PST 
We had the same problem with our senior dog. He'd be standing right in front of his open doggie door at night, but he wouldn't go through it, until I got up and told him it was ok each time. We then started him on Cholodin by MVP Laboratories, and it has been a godsend. He is more mentally alert, and able to find the doggie door without waking me up anymore.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 28 11:41 am

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.