Postings by Jake

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > female MOUNTING?
Jake

So many- squirrels, so- little time...

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:49am PST 
Mom calls me "Romeo of the Dog Park". That's the only place I hump. She tries to discourage it because other dogs might not like it and eventually one might REALLY let me know how much they don't like it. When she goes to the dog park, she carries a small water gun. She squirts me when I do it. Now, all I have to do is see the water gun and I change my mine. I know she is only looking out for me. She doesn't want some other dog to get the wrong idea. She knows I'm just too excited to be with all those dogs and play is fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Thor, Mar 19 7:41 pm

Behavior & Training > New aggression, don\'t know what to do.
Jake

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:33am PST 
I agree. There were some clues but he might not have had the energy to do anything about it in the past. He may need retraining. There is a great book called "The Culture Clash". The basic principle is that your dog will now need to be retrained on what is acceptable and what isnt'. He has to earn privileges rather than assume they are his for the taking. It will help you understand what your dog is going through. Another good book is "Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog". It's not an easy fix, but it can be managed. It will take patience on your part. You might want to start removing any type of temptation like food uneaten, toys not played with, ect. Grant him the items when he is well behaved. Make it a reward rather than just another object that belongs to him.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Loki - Goodbye My Handsome Boy, Mar 16 8:21 pm

Dogs & Travel > Driving to Texas in the evil car.

Jake

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:22pm PST 
Check with your Vet. Since it is a long trip, your vet might be able to give you some recommendations on sedatives.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 19 8:42 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Lowe's Allows Training...

Jake

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:12pm PST 
I usually will try and take Jake in most stores that don't have food inside. He doesn't wear any vests to avoid any confusion and if it's carpeted, I will put him in the buggy. Mainly he is learning how to stay calm. He has been inside Joann's craft store, Bed Bath and Beyond and of course Lowes/Home Depot. Most of the office stores give us no problems either (Staples, Office Depot, ect). I think because he is well behaved, no one questions us.

Jake is a therapy dog and not a service dog. We would never abuse the phrase or mislead someone into thinking that he has similar rights as a service dogs. If someone asks (they never do...but every now and than..) I just tell them that I'm training him for obedience. I feel that is more accurate.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Remy, Mar 14 10:48 am

Behavior & Training > crate training references?

Jake

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:24pm PST 
Sounds like your mommy gave you too much freedom to start with. With all kids and babies you should always watch them. Being on the computer with you in the same room, isn't watching you. So tell your mom that you need your own space to hang out, even when she is home. Once you are responsible enough, she can let you have more freedom.

Human parents do this, so why not pet parents? We wouldn't dream of letting a small child manage their time on their own. We would always keep an eagle eye on what they are doing. And what mommy doesn't look forward to nap time? When baby is put down so mommies can have some alone time??
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Arko, Jan 7 4:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Help me stop the jumping!
Jake

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:19pm PST 
My Mommy always had trouble teaching this one to her students. Everyone above gave sound advise, but the other thing you want to make sure you do is be consistent. Your mommy shouldn't let you jump when it's play time, but not allow it when she comes home after a long day away. Or, ok to jump when she is wearing jeans, but not when she has a very nice outfit.

So be consistent. Never allow jumping, even in play.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Zeppelin J. Dogg, ESQ , Jan 10 9:21 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Long Trip

Jake

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 10:10pm PST 
Congrats on the new Baby!!! snoopysnoopy

Take caution on the travel crates. If Shadow isn't crate trained or has a tenancy to scratch the door of the crate, than they might rip. So don't leave your dog unattended in one of those soft crates.

Has Shadow flown before? You might want to get her ready for the pressurization of the cabin. Lots of dogs find it uncomfortable in their ears. I always pack peanut butter travel size cups that I can give to my dog while taking off and landing. Because peanut butter sticks to the roof of their mouth, it makes them pop their ears thus relieving the pressure build up!

Flight attendants will give you water if you need it.

As for the dog food, I would do what the previous poster said, bring enough for a week and buy the rest when you get there. You can even ask your daughter to purchase it prior to your arrival so you don't have to take the time away from the visit! Or you might want to order it online and have it shipped to her place. Should be much better than lugging around a 20lb bag! Also, make sure when you do bring some food, take about 2-days worth on board with you. Don't check it all in. If the flight gets delayed, than you will have food for your dog if you have to stay at the airport for a long time.

Hope those tips help!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by SHADOW - RIP 14 June 2014, Jan 5 11:01 pm

Behavior & Training > I eat everything in sight when outside.

Jake

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '08 4:46pm PST 
Aren't puppies fun?? big grin

You never know what they are going to do from day to day. I would imagine that if you are 6 mos old, than you are in the learning stage. You might find better tips in the puppy section but chewing things is usually a sign of teething. Get your mommy to buy you some hard toys so you can chew on them and comfort your gums. Soft toys are fun when your a baby, but now you need more than just soft toys. My favorite is a Kong toy or a nylabone. However, you should always be supervised when playing with your toys.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Snoopy, Jan 2 8:34 am

Behavior & Training > Nervous/Timid New Shelter Dog - HELP!

Jake

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '08 4:42pm PST 
wink
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Bella Luna, Jan 2 6:25 am

Behavior & Training > Positive/Clicker Training; I don't get it (long)...
Jake

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '08 4:20pm PST 
That's right, Khola! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 2 4:51 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.