Postings by Czarka, CGC UJJ

GO!

(Page 1 of 147: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hello! New here and looking for advice about getting a sd
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '14 8:17am PST 
One of our local/regional SD groups is Can Do Canines (http://can-do-canines.org). I'm not sure if they reach Utah yet... but worth contacting them. At the very least, they are exemplars (IMHO) in the SD world. I do know that they do seizure alert.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 6 9:26 am

Behavior & Training > Teaching Polite Greeting Skills
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Thu Nov 6, '14 2:11pm PST 
It IS a good response, Mulder. The other bit we work hard on is a sit-stay. Actually, you'd like stand-stay and down-stay rock solid too, but sit is usually the easiest. You are basically working for a 'sit-for-exam' laugh out loud Chaos happens, but the more direction you can give to your greeter ('approach from here'; 'pet this way'; etc) and the more obedience you can expect from the pup... this becomes fairly easy. You are working at this from two ends: control the dog; and control the interaction. Also... YOU can position yourself to aid the dog. Dog sits... you can kneel next to dog (or not). Left hand in collar; right hand on chest (or calmly stroking left side)... for example.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Nov 6 2:11 pm

Behavior & Training > dealing with resource guarding...need some reassurance /advice

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Mon May 26, '14 3:24pm PST 
You might take a look at Decoding your dog by Amer Coll Vet Behaviorists... Mine! by Jean Donaldson has been suggested. _I'M_ not going to growl about pitties... Welcome aboard.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, May 28 5:26 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog isn't terribly bright?

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 8:17pm PST 
My dog is... and, as many owners of the gifted-and-talented sect will tell you, it's a mixed blessing. Oh, like you, I love my dog to death... but, OMD you can get into situations... enough said laugh out loud

IMHO, it's an amazing blessing that dogs come in such a variety of flavors wink
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Willie, Jan 14 5:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Decoding Your Dog

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 1:31pm PST 
I'm about half way through this new book by the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists... and I'm looking at so many of the problems that show up in this forum. So far this looks to be an excellent resource. There have been a few OMD examples of canine behavior/problem solving... Anyone else working their way through this one???
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jan 10 1:31 pm

Behavior & Training > not responding to commands
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 1:23pm PST 
I just wanted to point out that, within the specific context, your pup does not really know the requested behaviors as commands... It's the nature of training.

You have seen where your pup is not... and you know where your training works. If you want Leah to be able to respond in the middle of environmental chaos to ob commands, you need to train with progressively more distraction.

Ayra raises interesting questions re breed and I've not a clue how hard this process would be with Leah. However, it IS a process... as in potentially several years of work. Do NOT become discouraged way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Jan 9 1:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Sharing fences with neighbors with dogs.

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:26am PST 
Try this
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Why do dog owners never seem to teach their dogs boundaries and manners?

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:21am PST 
There are behaviors I care about and have trained for/with/around; there are behaviors I care about that are still works-in-progress; there are behaviors that I do not care about.

Charka looks like a border guard or a K-9 on patrol... so, MY assessment is that, in public, she needs to not only be under control, she needs to appear to be under control smile In the house? Well, she's still a big dog, so to live happily in the house, she and we need boundaries. The 'I don't care'? Her favorite way to say hello in the morning after breakfast is to walk between my legs: front-to-back and back-to-front. I enjoy it so I don't interrupt her happy-dog routine.

IMHO, training with your dog not only gives you boundaries and manners... it also creates a strongly bonded team thinking Team Czarka? Yep. This human is happy to be a part laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, Jan 16 11:26 am

Behavior & Training > Lupi is so weird.

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 8:59am PST 
It's very easy to underestimate the intelligence of your just-a-dog laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Koby, Dec 21 6:10 am

Behavior & Training > Beginner Novice Obedience/Novice Rally
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Barked: Fri Dec 13, '13 7:20am PST 
The simplest response is 'good plan'... whatever helps you to stay focused and have fun in the ob realm will serve you well in agility. IMHO, you will likely find more skills that will benefit you both in rally. You need those basics of ob in rally, but also work on rear-end awareness (the dog's) and, because of complexity of exercises, pup and you have to be aware of space and posture/movement signals. Rally is a much closer match to the type of teamwork you will want in agility. OTOH, we've finally gotten around to rally as something this handler will actually take time to compete in wink after bunches of work in ob and in agility... so the rally also seems pretty easy... if I can just get Charks to understand backing laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Dec 13 5:49 pm

(Page 1 of 147: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.