GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Choosing the Right Dog > Is it true that Bernese Mountain dog breeders destroy all but 3 pups each litter
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 4:24pm PST 
I know people can come up with crazy things.

Anytime anyone asks me anything like this I always say to look at berner guarde. It is such a great resource and you can look up anything on a dog (titles, health issues, certifications, etc) I wish all breeds had a database like berner guarde.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 29 4:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Is it true that Bernese Mountain dog breeders destroy all but 3 pups each litter
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 7:21am PST 
Absolutely not!!

I know many people who show and breed these dogs and they can have large litters (although they can also have very small litters) but they never destroy any and are devastated if one dies. I currently know of a litter that only had 3 puppies (the bitch was extremely hard to breed) and another who had 11. If you want more proof you can go to http://bernergarde.org/db/ this is a database where all reputable BMD breeders enter information on the dogs and litters (it is a great resource)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 29 4:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '14 5:18pm PST 
Sorry for the late response...We got a puppy so things are a little crazy!

Anyway, if you want to use any pictures from any of my dogs or cats pages feel free!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 4 7:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 10:51am PST 
What kind of pictures are you looking for? just any dog related or do you want pictures of specific activities?
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , May 4 7:10 pm

Behavior & Training > older Bernese attacking puppy

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:11pm PST 
Contacting a behaviorist is a great idea but you may also want to contact your breeder for suggestions.

The BMD people i know are always wanting people who purchase their puppies to contact them with any issues and to keep a line of communication open for the dogs entire life (and sometimes longer). They try their best to develop a friendship between puppy buyer and breeder. Since the breeder is familiar with the breed they may have some suggestions that a behaviorist would not think of.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 4:11 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Breeder broke contract
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 5:23pm PST 
Im with Toto. I have also shown dogs for people for many years. I have shown many different breeds including but not limited to Bernese Mountain Dogs, Golden Retrievers, Borzoi, Whippets, Samoyed, etc. I know that some of these dogs had umbilical hernias and they were still show quality and almost all of them achieved their championships (and some are even grand champions). None that I know of had to have surgery to repair the hernia.

Also about the whole having to be a champion before you can breed the dog, that is a standard practice in most breeds especially if this is the first dog you have gotten from the breeder. They want to make sure that you have good intentions of showing the dog and furthering the health of the breed and not just breeding to make money. I am surprised that is all the breeder has as being required to breed the dog, most require that the dog not only is a champion but has all health tests that are relevant to the breed such as eye, heart, hips, and elbow clearances.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 5:23 pm

Dog Health > Why my samoyed has fifth nail???

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 6:31pm PST 
Many dogs are born with front and rear dewclaws (some even have double dewclaws like Great Pyrenees). Most breeders will remove them at 3 - 4 days old (before the nerves have developed). By the standard Samoyed's should not have rear dewclaws but lots of dogs are born with them, the breeder will usually have them removed.

Just because your Samoyed has rear dewclaws does not mean it is not pure Samoyed, it just means the breeder for whatever reason decided not to have the rear dewclaws removed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 7 4:57 am

Dog Health > 2 year old Great Dane Torn ACL

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 6:21pm PST 
We have a few dogs who come to my work (grooming shop) with torn ACL's (some have had surgery and rehab, some just surgery, some did nothing).

From what I have seen, the dogs with the surgery and rehab are back to normal and very happy. The ones who just have the surgery and do not do the rehab limp but will occasionally put weight on the leg. The ones who have nothing done are arthritic and very painful whenever you handle the leg, some even bite when we look like we are going to touch the leg (these are dogs that were fine before they torn their ACL) these dogs also cannot put ANY weight on their leg and we have to hold them up for most of the grooming.

Like I said these are just my observations, I have personally not had any dog who torn an ACL
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 6:21 pm

Dog Health > Is it Horner's? Droopy ear, lip and eyelid that doesnt blink and his eye jumps

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 4:42pm PST 
I actually had this EXACT thing happen to my friends Bernese Mountain Dog a few years ago. The whole right side of his face was paralyzed, the vets had no idea. Tests reveled nothing, then my friend demanded a test for Lymes disease (after all Lymes can cause facial paralysis in people right). Well the test came back positive, the vets thought it was just a coincidence. They started the treatment for Lymes and the dog was back to normal within 2 days and has not had an issue since.

Lymes usually causes dogs to limp but it can have other symptoms, such as the partial facial paralysis that my friends BMD experienced. I would highly recommend getting a Lymes test done.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 4:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Beginner Novice Obedience/Novice Rally
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:32pm PST 
I do a mini show to determine if mine are ready. We go to a store that we do not usually go to on a busy weekend and do all the heeling, sits, downs, etc (all on leash) and see how they do with distractions. If they listen and do everything I ask then we are ready, if not then we have more work to do.

Also, start with rally! It is much more relaxed then obedience.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 5:49 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.